Author Topic: Celtics considering trading up to #4 for PG Garland  (Read 6267 times)

Re: Celtics considering trading up to #4 for PG Garland
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'm surprised NO isn't looking at taking Garland.

Just listened to Woj podcast with Mike Schmitz on the draft. They talked about how some scouts see Garland as having real star potential and think he'll be better than Morant or Barrett. He may end up being a steal at #4.
His injury could definitely be a red flag. Along with seeming to be very turnover prone in the games he played in college and his small stature, I could see teams being put off by him. I still see a Damian Lillard-esc ceiling for him though.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Smart, 14, 20, Memphis pick for 4, Moore, and one of those unprotected Lakers pick and I’m on board.  I love Garland’s shooting and offense but I don’t want to unload the Memphis pick unless we are getting Beal or another young star, maybe this goes in a 3 way where we get Beal. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Pelicans considering moving #4 for 8 and 10 according to givony.

I dont think it would cost smart to get the pick.
14, 20 plus another pick next year would probably

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Draft a PG at #4 = Irving good as gone.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Danny loves his PG’s. We do not have enough to get that pick. A lottery ticket(Memphis) is worth little when they get a certain thing now. Not happening unless we lose a player and take on an albatross. In what world will NO gift us that pick for 14th and a lottery ticket?

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
The Pels were repeatedly described as wanting a "star" or young player rather than #4, so I don't see our offer as being centered around picks. Seems like they would want a young player with potential, at least.

Rozier is a star in his own mind. Does that count?

Mike

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This would signal an outright youth movement, and eventually trading Al and Hayward, IMO.

Not necessarily.

If Ainge wanted Garland bad enough, he could probably get him but it would probably cost Tatum.

I don't see the Pelicans drafting a guard at #4 as they already have Holliday and Lonzo.  Ainge could conceivably deal Tatum to Cleveland for the #5 pick and Larry Nance to match salaries.

Smart would initially be the starting point guard and then Garland would slowly transition to being the starting point.

I'd seriously rather go this route than letting Rozier be the point guard. Then again, I'd rather have a 400 pound guy with his shoes tied together be our starting PG over Rozier so, I guess that's not saying much.

It doesn't have to be JUST young guys. The roster can consist of younger and older players.

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Why would we trade Jayson Tatum in a deal to get Garland (an unproven rookie) + Larry Nance?  That just doesn't make any sense to me. 

If Kyrie is gone, then Tatum is going to be a core player (probably the main core player) moving forward.  I don't like that deal at all.

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This would signal an outright youth movement, and eventually trading Al and Hayward, IMO.

Not necessarily.

If Ainge wanted Garland bad enough, he could probably get him but it would probably cost Tatum.

I don't see the Pelicans drafting a guard at #4 as they already have Holliday and Lonzo.  Ainge could conceivably deal Tatum to Cleveland for the #5 pick and Larry Nance to match salaries.

Smart would initially be the starting point guard and then Garland would slowly transition to being the starting point.

I'd seriously rather go this route than letting Rozier be the point guard. Then again, I'd rather have a 400 pound guy with his shoes tied together be our starting PG over Rozier so, I guess that's not saying much.

It doesn't have to be JUST young guys. The roster can consist of younger and older players.

Trade Tatum for Garland? Never happen.

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 07:04:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’m a huge Garland fan, but I can’t see this happening.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I’m a huge Garland fan, but I can’t see this happening.

I agree.

The cost would be too high.

It might cost the Celts the 2020 top 6 protected Memphis pick that becomes unprotected in 2021.

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don't get the fascination of selling the farm for PGs. In Kyrie's case, we had to pull it because IT is injured and Crowder doesn't want to play with Hayward. There is an abundance of talent on that position in the league that can be picked for cheap.

Guys like IT, Billups and Lowry were considered journeymen PGs before they turned into stars. Just find a young enough guard that would fit with Brad's system. Most of them are pretty cheap to acquire.