Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450064 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Roy if you become a high authority in the celtics office, i would love for you to come on the board and listen to some of the proposals on here and put them into action. Or at least check with all of us before you make a trade.  ;D Thanks! haha

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Roy should be the new GM/Coach/President of the C's
Then we'd start to win some games!

Good Lord!

I appreciate RH like everyone else, but as long as Wyc owns this team I'm not wishing this role on anyone.

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline PrimusSucks

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 88
Roy should be the new GM/Coach/President of the C's
Then we'd start to win some games!

Or at the very least we would trade anything we had to to get Gasol in here....

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »

Offline Mike Honcho

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Nice.
Haha, with all the crappy, uneducated posts around here, Roy's are about the only ones that consistently make sense...if you ban someone, can't they just create another user name? seems to bad, reminds me of another celtics blog website I used to go to a couple of years back (before here). Get rid of this clown.
No, there are bans and then there are bans. The ones I tend to employ don't even allow for frontpage access and come complete with personal background information and residential satellite photographs.

Is that a joke? Residential satellite photographs? I'm starting to feel a little exposed. Are you watching me right now Bob Day?
Not at all, Pat. I never use such tactics except to protect CelticsBlog or members of this community and only then in special situations that might potentially pose harm to someone or ones. These are things you never want to have to do and I abide by a very strict set of codes and rules with regard to such matters. Rights to privacy are extremely important and we respect those greatly around here.

Since I've been involved with CelticsBlog there has only been two instances were I had to uncover personal information on people in order to get to the bottom of some issues. As those resolved, neither one of those situations turned out to be particularly threatening and were thus dropped from further pursuit and forgotten about.

This situation doesn't look dangerous either but then again, FDR is having one of his "moments" so I have to pay attention to that. I'm usually sort of a last resort around here with things like this. I don't normally get involved with admin and moderator issues.

When someone attacks a staff member like what we saw here though, it is our policy to take that staff out of the loop of the problem and try to resolve the issue between the rest of us. Today though, I simply happened to be the only other staff person around when this went down. Others will be around soon and I don't think they are going to be at all happy with what they see. So I imagine this little incident will be concluded pretty soon.

Wow.  I did not expect this.  Is there any way to modify privacy settings?  While I appreciate the mods here, and understand that this happens only in dire situations, it is still a little unsettling to think that you guys go to these lengths to keep order.  
Bring back Milt Palacio

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2007, 02:03:46 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Thanks for all of the positive comments, guys.  And rest assured, if Danny ever offers me the job of Coach / GM / President, I'll keep you guys apprised of what's going on so that the blog has plenty to argue about.  Of course, in that instance, threads calling for my head would probably be a daily occurrence.

Comes witht the teritory  ;D

Good Job Roy
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I would also be interested in removing my personal information.

And Roy, Just in case you were looking for some unsolicited criticism.... (most people don't, so please skip if your not interested!)

You do a great job on CB. However, I think your overall "net" reputation has suffered based on your constant bashing of CT (over, and over, and over again). It gets really old. You take apart that guy for everything from his spelling/grammar to the validity of his sources. I think you have a right to do it and I even agree with your exercising that right in the beginning. At this point though, I think you've done more harm to yourself than good for the credibility of Real GM. I would love to have discussed this over there, but Its been about 3 weeks and my account still hasn't been approved.

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS

And Roy, Just in case you were looking for some unsolicited criticism.... (most people don't, so please skip if your not interested!)

You do a great job on CB. However, I think your overall "net" reputation has suffered based on your constant bashing of CT (over, and over, and over again). It gets really old. You take apart that guy for everything from his spelling/grammar to the validity of his sources. I think you have a right to do it and I even agree with your exercising that right in the beginning. At this point though, I think you've done more harm to yourself than good for the credibility of Real GM. I would love to have discussed this over there, but Its been about 3 weeks and my account still hasn't been approved.

Everyone bashes him...kind of unfair to pick on RH for that statement. None of the admin and most posters on this blog take anything CT says seriously, so I don't think you should point out just Roy. He just has more posts than everyone else so you probably just see higher volume from him.

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I have been around Celtics Blog for many years (and many server moves) and post on many boards.  Celtics Blog has is a class act and Roy Hobbs as a moderator does a great job of keeping it so.  Thanks for all your hard work Roy and Bob. 

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I would want everyone to know that what tiny bit of personal information some do include in their profiles here in the form of an username, email address or whatever is quite secure. Most people don't provide any personal information about themselves or create a persona second to themselves for use here.

Only a few CB staff members even have access to such info and none of us are even interested in anything about it other than keeping it secure. That's just part of the responsibility that goes with running a site like this. As for what it takes for me to find out who someone is if doing such a thing might be warranted, that seldom take any more than a single IP address and it is not even possible for anyone to access this website without providing one of those. Sometimes, it doesn't even take that much.

There is no big security focus with the CelticsBlog staff that they dwell upon every day. I take care of 99+% of that with how this website is setup and by keeping strong software security measures regularly updated in order to try to protect everyone in this community. That's the way you want things like this...to be out of the way and not bother. The folks that manage this place and contribute content to it have better, more positive things to do than be worried about security.

On the other hand, I would hope that CelticsBloggers can take some comfort knowing that if something around here does turn truly ugly like it has on a couple of occasions, that we have the means to get to the bottom of it and, get it resolved pretty quickly. I don't think there is really much more to say about it than that because this capability too is something that is needed in order to run and maintain a site like CelticsBlog well. It just goes with the territory. It's no big deal...just part of the job.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2007, 04:32:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

A couple of things.

First, I have never criticized CT for his spelling or grammar, except for him saying something along the lines of "Whatup, Boston, this is Ryen Gomes".  I'm pretty sure Ryan can spell his own name correctly.  That was the point where CT officially jumped the shark for me.  I'm not sure if you got to see that thread or one of the corresponding ones before they were deleted, but I think that changed a lot of people's perspective.  Most of the pro-CT posters apparently missed that completely.

Secondly, CT was a liar and was doing a disservice to all of the good posters over at RealGM.  Many agreed with me.  That board was getting a lot of undeserved criticism for being a joke, and that was do to CT and his fanboys.  I mean, there were multiple threads calling for moderators to quit or be suspended, etc.  That was all caused by one confirmed liar.  Again, it's too bad, because RealGM is a good board.

Third, CT has no sources.  Thus, they have no validity.

Lastly, I don't really care about my "net" credibility.  I didn't post anything that wasn't true, and I posted concerning CT less than ten times in total.  A lot of the less sophisticated RealGMers got on my case about it, and for awhile I defended myself, and then gave up.  The majority of my handful of RealGM posts are about discussing basketball, not some fraudulent attention [prostitute].  I try to post intelligently and fairly at all times, but if posters have a problem with my methodology or point of view, they're certainly entitled to that disagreement.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments, but I stand by what I said.  The CT fiasco was a negative for the RealGM Celtics board, and I'm glad to see that they finally suspended him.

EDIT: Also, thank you again to everybody's kind words.  I didn't leave this thread open to be a "praise Roy" thread, but instead to allow FDR to voice his (in my opinion unfounded) criticism.  I'm flattered and humbled by everything said above (even if you all are hopelessly sucking up. ;))
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 04:39:29 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2007, 01:58:29 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
If I had to moderate a board where posters feel compelled to start threads like "Should I change my username?" every day,  I would probably give up blogging and take up gardening. 

How about having to read 4 or 5 pages where two posters debate about their previous debate, over and over again?  Or the newjacks who feel compelled to start threads like "Why I like the Ray Allen trade" three days and 16 pages after the topic was vetted to death? 

Roy and the other mods have a thankless job.  I actually prefer that they make fun of the knuckleheads who have no respect for the rules of this board, or are too lazy or stupid to read and comprehend them.  Keep of the good work, Roy and company (and even you Edgar). 

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2007, 09:41:44 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If I had to moderate a board where posters feel compelled to start threads like "Should I change my username?" every day,  I would probably give up blogging and take up gardening. 

How about having to read 4 or 5 pages where two posters debate about their previous debate, over and over again?  Or the newjacks who feel compelled to start threads like "Why I like the Ray Allen trade" three days and 16 pages after the topic was vetted to death? 

Roy and the other mods have a thankless job.  I actually prefer that they make fun of the knuckleheads who have no respect for the rules of this board, or are too lazy or stupid to read and comprehend them.  Keep of the good work, Roy and company (and even you Edgar). 

O.k. How about starting one...

Why trading Delonte Over Gerald was a BIG mistake  :'(

Kidding triple.. and a little out of Topic. Sorry Roy  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »

Offline ced

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
come on....give me a freakin break. get off your admin power trip

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2007, 09:17:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Please read the site rules.  Also, in the future, please post this in the appropriate forum.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:33 AM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride
Hobbs,

If you're going to lock threads and censor what people can talk about on the forum, at least get it right.

"Technically, the new law does not make it illegal to play poker on the Internet. Instead, it makes it illegal for any bank, credit card company or other financial intermediary to process transfers to or from an Internet gaming site."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/04/opinion/main2061902_page2.shtml

You stated in the thread that you locked it because, "The government has declared that playing internet poker for money is illegal, and as such its discussion is prohibited on Celticsblog."

This is not at all the case. As most of these companies, both the poker sites and intermediaries employ no american workers and do not consider themselves "gambling" sites because poker is a game of skill it is not illegal to play.

This law is far from concrete as it was sneaked into a bill just before it's passing. There are many loopholes because of it's rushed processing, I personally use a foreign based intermediary to transfer funds between my bank account and Full Tilt poker.

I happen to be a professional poker player as well and there is nothing illegal about what I do.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:44:53 AM by WillyBeamin »
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved