Author Topic: EPL 2012/2013  (Read 28628 times)

Re: EPL 2012/2013
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
£24 million = Robin Van Persie moves from Arsenal to Man Utd

Thats alot of money.  Pardon my ignorance but is this for good or is it just a loan of a player?  Also do Arsenal and Man U play eachother alot?  Is it like a salary dump?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
£24 million = Robin Van Persie moves from Arsenal to Man Utd

Thats alot of money.  Pardon my ignorance but is this for good or is it just a loan of a player?  Also do Arsenal and Man U play eachother alot?  Is it like a salary dump?
It is a permanent transfer.

Every team plays one another twice a season in the league. More if they meet in the cups (Carling Cup, FA Cup and/or Champions League). So Man Utd and Arsenal will see each other at least twice and maybe even 3 to 5 times.

£24 million is a lot of money for a 29 year old player. His resale value will be down to about €10 million within two years (maybe even one). Half that (€5million), or lower, two years on from there. Given Van Persie's age, they'll probably keep him until he is 34-35 and get next to nothing for him when he leaves.

It's rare to see Man Utd spend that type of cash on a player as old as Van Persie these days. They said Berbatov was the last signing of that kind and he was only 27.

So it's a huge investment for an older player. Then add his wages on top of that which will probably be €8 million or so per annum. A huge cost.

Van Persie had one year left on his contract and had asked Arsenal for a move earlier this summer. He was unhappy at with club's lack of spending / ambition and wanted a better chance at winning silverware (winning league title and/or cups). He felt this was his last chance at a move while he was still in his prime. Arsenal clearly weren't able to talk him back around.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Sir Alex Ferguson believes Robin van Persie's arrival gives Manchester United a "fantastic player" and suggested he may now have the best strikeforce in Europe, with the manager comparing his options to those of Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who spearheaded the 1999 treble winning team.

After being informed that bwin, the club's new gambling partner, was offering 3-1 against Van Persie and Wayne Rooney emulating Yorke and Cole's 53-goal count from that season, Ferguson said: "Of course they are two fantastic players, and its great to have the both of them.

"But also I think what gives us more strength is the combinations I have upfront now. If you go back to the '99 season when I had Andy and Dwight and Teddy and Ole Gunnar – the four best strikers in Europe. So I think I'm going towards that now.

"I've got Chicarito [Javier Hernández], Wayne, Robin, Danny Welbeck and I've got [Shinji] Kagawa. That's a fantastic combination of players there. Hopefully I pick the right combinations."

Manchester United are going to be a beast of a team next year.

I think the two Manchester teams are far and away the class of the Premier League right now.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Man United will have four quality strikers this year in Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, and Chicharito. Berbatov and Kiko Macheda are still there too. This is a pretty loaded team. The Manchester Derby just got a lot more interesting.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Okay, here are my predictions for the season

Title Challengers

#1 - Man Utd - world class defense, width and frontline. A little vulnerable in the middle of the park but I think they have elsewhere to work around that. Trust in Fergie.
#2 - Man City - best squad in the league but I trust Fergie more than Mancini
#3 - Chelsea - Di Matteo still has a lot to prove + frontline is shallow. Capable of competing for the title but I think they'll come up short.

Fourth Place, Final Champions League Spot

#4 - Arsenal - still have a very strong squad. Light on world class talent + too vulnerable defensively to be a title challenger.
#5 - Newcastle - will be right there with Arsenal for that final Champs league place

Competing for Europa League Spots

#6 - Everton - full season with Jelavic + that Miralles chap just signed. Looks like Moyesy is doing a great job retooling and strengthening his team.
#7 - Liverpool - I think they have the squad to challenge for 4th place but I don't think the squad is well-suited to Brendan Rogers system. Probably will take a year or more likely two before they in full flight under their new manager.
#8 - Tottenham - lots of goals both scored and conceded. Weakened considerably without Adebayor and Modric. Lost Ledley King too. I don't have much faith in Villas-Boas after seeing him at Chelsea. I don't think he adapted well to the Premier League. Too arrogant. Will drop a lot of (silly) points.

Mid-table

#9 - Sunderland - very tough to play against. Pack the midfield. Not a lot going forward but they'll scrounge out results.
#10 - Fulham - nice attractive football and goals under Martin Jol
#11 - QPR - Mark Hughes is putting together a solid team there.
#12 - Stoke - same old Stoke. Should be better than last year without their European commitments dragging them down.

Safe from Relegation

#13 - Aston Villa - better team than they showed under Alex McLeish. Paul Lambert will get them playing more attacking football.
#14 - West Brom - I like Steve Clarke. I think he'll make a good manager. Really solid team there. I like Shane Long and Odemwingie up front.
#15 - West Ham - Sam Allardyce will keep them up.
#16 - Swansea - not too sure what to expect of them. Looks like they'll more attacking football (and less sideways football) than they did last season. Could work well or it could backfire. Possibility to join relegation dog-fight.

Fighting Relegation

#17-#20 - Southampton, Wigan, Reading and Norwich City. I'd give Wigan the best chances at staying up due to their experience over the past few years.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:32:09 PM by Who »

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Go Canaries!!  "We only sing when we're farmin'"!!!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:50 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I think the two Manchester teams are far and away the class of the Premier League right now.

i hope you are right but i`m not so sure about this .... Both starting central defenders have spent too much time injured the last season (Rio is again injured if i`m not wrong) and in the midfield the team needs a Roy Kin type of player.

But MU will be definately a fun team to watch

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

i hope you are right but i`m not so sure about this .... Both starting central defenders have spent too much time injured the last season (Rio is again injured if i`m not wrong) and in the midfield the team needs a Roy Kin type of player.

But MU will be definately a fun team to watch

They weren't today. Everton 1, United 0 final.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
£15 million for Dembele from Tottenham. I think he is a really nice signing for Spurs. Bringing back Adebayor was a massive signing too. Good work from Tottenham. I think things are looking up for Spurs compared to where they were a few weeks ago.

Pity they lost Modric. Looking forward to seeing him play for Real Madrid though. Not sure what is happening with Michael Dawson.

It sounds like they are trying to move Van der Vaart too which is something I'd like to see them do. I think he's an over-rated player that holds them back more often than he improves them. Difficult player to integrate into a team / tactics.

Appearently, they're pursuing Lloris, M'Villa and Willian as well. Just had a bid accepted for Lloris so it looks like that one will go through.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I agree on all points.  I also thought signing of Vertonghen from Ajax earlier in the summer was a great move. 

It sucks losing Modric but we all knew it was coming since last summer.  Not sure about what is happening with Dawson, but from what I have read they may end up holding to him with Kaboul being injured.  I guess we will see as the deadline is Friday. 

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Lloris is a great GK i wish Sir Alex had picked his instead of DeGea.  They got a good deal on Modric considering he wanted out but on a non EPL comment  I`m sure how he`ll  fit Real with Ozil there

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:31 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
It's deadline day.

With Liverpool sending Carroll to West Ham on loan they will be in the market for another striker.  The press has linked to them to Dempsey and attempting to take Sturridge on loan.

Tottenham are apparently close to signing Lloris and continue to pursue Remy and Moutinho.

City are linked with Garcia, Maicon, and Sinclair.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
What are the doing in Tottenham?
RVD Vaart to Hamburg

I didn`t see that coming....

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Sunderland looked really good with Steven Fletcher in the side. Much improved over the first two games when they looked impotent up front. Look a well-balanced and quality side now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them gate-crash that Everton, Newcastle, Liverpool and Tottenham tier. Very good signings by Martin O'Neill (Adam Johnson too). Has really improved that Sunderland club in a short space of time.

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
1000 league for Sir Alex

27 seasons
12 league titles
599wins 233draws 167defeats

Legend.....