Author Topic: EPL 2013/2014  (Read 32871 times)

Re: EPL 2013/2014
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2014, 08:45:12 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Better March than February, but the Gunners did it again. How do their chokefests keep getting more tragic every season? Liverpool in the title race is pretty uplifting though so i'm cool.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I won't be surprised at all if Arsenal find a way to blow the FA Cup too. Getting Ramsey back might save that, but they really do have a good formula for blowing trophy opportunities. Since they are out of it, I'm routing for Liverpool to hold on over the oil money teams.

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Apparently, Moyes is on his way out.

The bookies have Louis van Gaal as the odds-on favourite to succeed him, which was also the first name who came to my mind when I heard of the news. In fact, I think it´s a no-brainer.

Yes, he´s legitimately crazy, and he´s a first grade a**hole, but he´s also flat-out the best in the world at implementing and laying the systematic groundwork for a modern style of football and a lasting "culture". Bayern, to this day, is still benefitting from his work there 3 years ago.

Just sign him to a 3-year-deal, give him free reign, fully aware that you´ll probably have to fire him after two years when the situation will inevitably implode. After those two years, though, you´ll have the backbone of a team that will be able to compete at the highest level for the next 10-15 years, probably riddled with young, english lads in central positions.

What do you think? Who should succeed Moyes?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Shocked Man Utd would consider sacking Moyes after only one season. I thought he'd get a 2nd year at least.

I think Fergie will do some politicking behind the scenes and convince the Glazers to keep Moyes around for another 1-2 years. Give Moyes time to do the job. Convince them Moyes will come good with time.

I don't think Fergie would approve of someone like Van Gaal. Too much of an individual who will want to put his own system / stamp on the club. Change around everything at the club that Fergie has built. I don't think Fergie would like that type of change ... or personality at Old Trafford. I think a more amenable short-term manager (similar to Pellegrini) or a true team builder (like Klopp) who'd be there for the long haul would be more up Ferguson's street. But not a 2-3 year manager like Van Gaal who wants to change everything that Fergie has built (and had phenomenal success with).

If Laurent Blanc gets fired by PSG, I think he'd be a great option for Man Utd. Ex-United player. Knows the club. Knows English football. Has had success with Bordeaux and PSG and some mixed achievements with France. Gets his teams playing nice possession based football. Allows for creativity and expression amongst attackers. Organized defensively.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:20:44 PM by Who »

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Shocked Man Utd would consider sacking Moyes after only one season. I thought he'd get a 2nd year at least.

I think Fergie will do some politicking behind the scenes and convince the Glazers to keep Moyes around for another 1-2 years. Give Moyes time to do the job. Convince them Moyes will come good with time.

I like Moyes, but he seems to fulfill the cliche of an underdog coach. Some of his decisions, particularly in the CL, have been rather strange, to say the least. Succeeding Fergie was always a tall order, but the way he handled this year´s campaign was not convincing at all. We all know the dynamics of this sport, if you finish mid-table with basically the same team which played for the title year in year out, your situation will get uncomfortable.

Ferguson might have a lot of pull, but the average fan will undoubtedly ask why Man U has to suffer through 2-3 years of Moyes learning on the fly, while they could simply sign a high calibre coach with a proven track record and see results right now.

I don't think Fergie would approve of someone like Van Gaal. Too much of an individual who will want to put his own system / stamp on the club. Change around everything at the club that Fergie has built. I don't think Fergie would like that type of change ... or personality at Old Trafford. I think a more amenable short-term manager (similar to Pellegrini) or a true team builder (like Klopp) who'd be there for the long haul would be more up Ferguson's street. But not a 2-3 year manager like Van Gaal who wants to change everything that Fergie has built (and had phenomenal success with).

I think that is part of the problem.
This Man U is still Fergie´s team. If you look at some of the players in their first eleven, it`s almost a miracle how these guys were able to have the success they had. The reason for that is most definitely Ferguson himself, who knew these guys inside out, and had a particular role and reason for every player on the team. Moyes´ job description, it seems, is not to build his own team with it´s own characteristics, but rather to become Fergie 2.0. That´s a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. Poor Moyes has to play Mozart in front of millions on an instrument which isn´t his own. The first thing van Gaal would do is break the piano and build his own synthesizer. And, as I said, I think he´s the best in the world at this particular thing.

Laurent Blanc gets fired by PSG, I think he'd be a great option for Man Utd. Ex-United player. Knows the club. Knows English football. Has had success with Bordeaux and PSG and some mixed achievements with France. Gets his teams playing nice possession based football. Allows for creativity and expression amongst attackers. Organized defensively.

Good call, Blanc would be an interesting choice. Klopp, I think, is still holding out for that dream offer he can´t refuse, where the whole club wants him, and only him, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get their man. I assume that´s how he´s wired. Another name that has been mentioned in the newspapers is Diego Simeone, but I fear the United gig could come a bit too soon for him.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 06:12:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Moyes tried to establish his reign a bit "violently" instead of easing  out the sir Alex era. he should have kept at least some of the previous members of the coaching team. He lost the dressing room,  he never really esteblished any kind of authority over his players instead of creating a plan based on the ability of the players he tried to change the players to fit his plan.

And don`t forget the awful way Man Un moved during both transfer seasons. This is not only his fault of course.

I want to see Klopp in Old Trafford. But he has shown that he respects his contracts and won`t even think about leaving Dortmund till the end of his current agreement.

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 08:17:43 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Klopp has already ruled out a move to ManU.  He doesn't need to insert himself into a maelstrom when he can sit put and continue to reconstruct his squad.  I think his preferred signature high-pressing style of play requires a certain type of player who can, and loves to, run and run and run all match long.  He'd have to replace quite a few players at United. 

van Gaal will be an interesting choice, to say the least.  I cannot imagine that SAF isn't pushing hard with everything he has against bringing King Louis to Old Trafford... ;D  van Gaal is a brilliant coach, but he simply has to be the straw that is always stirring the drink, and he will not stick around anywhere for more than 2-3 seasons. 

I'll say this - when Chelsea meets United, the interactions between Mourinho and his master, van Gaal, should be fascinating theater.  8)

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Klopp has ruled out MU or a move at this time in general? If it`s the former i wasn`t aware of it.

But but just for the discussion MU has to bring in a lot of new players. The midfield needs a massive boost of talent , Evra Vidic Rio are leaving.... Whoever the next manager will be he`ll have to replace a lot of players.

I`m not vGaal`s fan....He doesn`t mix well with stars. i`m sure Rooney will have problems with him. i m sure he`d do wonders with a bunch of young talented players but i doubt he`ll be given the luxury of time Not just him but any coach.

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Yup, he ruled out a move two days after Moyes got the sack.  Threw cold water on the idea that he might go to Barca, also.

Not a ManU fan (Man City fan - the opposite), but it's been clear to me that MU needed a squad rebuild, but nothing was done, other than bringing in Fellaini, who has been a huge disappointment.  New starters needed at LB and maybe both central defender positions, plus at least two new central mids.  Improved play from the 3rd and 4th strikers would be nice, also. 

van Gaal is a great choice if you're going to task him with blooding and developing young talent, as he did at Bayern (Mueller) and for several seasons at Alkmaar.  He and Rooney, however, are an explosion waiting to happen, and I think the greater overarching problem is that SAF still has great influence in the corridors of power, and there are bound to be fireworks between him and King Louis...

It is rumored that LvG wants Mueller, Hummels, Reus and Kroos.  Maybe Kroos will come, but the others could be difficult, even if a now-marginalized Mueller would like to hook up with his old manager.  I don't know why BVB would even consider selling Reus or Hummels, and not sure why they would move to MU at this time.  I think the best path forward for MU is to purchase some excellent young talent and develop them with Januzaj at OT under LvG.

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2014, 03:03:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
So liverpool is trying NOT win the league or what??

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:40 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Klopp has ruled out MU or a move at this time in general? If it`s the former i wasn`t aware of it.

But but just for the discussion MU has to bring in a lot of new players. The midfield needs a massive boost of talent , Evra Vidic Rio are leaving.... Whoever the next manager will be he`ll have to replace a lot of players.

I`m not vGaal`s fan....He doesn`t mix well with stars. i`m sure Rooney will have problems with him. i m sure he`d do wonders with a bunch of young talented players but i doubt he`ll be given the luxury of time Not just him but any coach.

But he was the man instrumental to Ajax's success in the 1990s right. Boy, did i root for that team.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
So liverpool is trying NOT win the league or what??

It was foolish to chase even more goals against Palace when up 3-0 in the 2nd half.  Pool wasn't going to catch City on goal differential, and they forgot about how essential the whole 3 points were to them.  That being said, a City loss in either remaining fixture and a Pool win would give them the title anyway. 

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

But he was the man instrumental to Ajax's success in the 1990s right. Boy, did i root for that team.

Speaking of Ajax, would de Boer be a better choice than van Gaal?

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

Indeed he was but 90% of that team was young players of the rise. Now he has to deal with big egos like RVP and Rooney. Not the same thing.