Author Topic: something i hope they change in the next CBA  (Read 2415 times)

something i hope they change in the next CBA
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
so the last CBA limited the amount of money a NBA team could contribute towards a buyout to some relatively small amount like 200k. we saw Rubio spend an extra year in Spain due to this(allegedly). with European and Asian teams starting to sign players to larger contracts the NBA needs to respond.

thoughts?

Re: something i hope they change in the next CBA
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
so the last CBA limited the amount of money a NBA team could contribute towards a buyout to some relatively small amount like 200k. we saw Rubio spend an extra year in Spain due to this(allegedly). with European and Asian teams starting to sign players to larger contracts the NBA needs to respond.

thoughts?

That will not happen because it becomes to much of an advantage to the big market teams (like NY, LA and Boston) since they will likely will have more money on hand to be able to afford big buy outs. 

I think this still falls on the players when they sign over there.  If they want to go to the NBA, sign smaller contracts over there with smaller buyouts. 

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:10:58 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

thoughts?

That will not happen because it becomes to much of an advantage to the big market teams (like NY, LA and Boston) since they will likely will have more money on hand to be able to afford big buy outs. 

I think this still falls on the players when they sign over there.  If they want to go to the NBA, sign smaller contracts over there with smaller buyouts. 

I disagree.  The T-Wolves would have paid 4 or 5 million dollars in a one-time fee to get Rubio over here sooner if they could have.

I agree with the original poster.  NBA teams should be able to contribute as much as they want to a Euro player's buyout.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
im not sure there should be an unlimited amount but i think the number needs to go up to at least 1 million. maybe allow a team to use trade/mid level/bi annual exception money towards a buyout, not against the cap but in the Rubio example Minnesota had at least part of there mid level left over(right?) let them use money equal to whatever they had left on the buyout and take the mid level for that season away(but not cap/luxury tax)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

thoughts?

I disagree.  The T-Wolves would have paid 4 or 5 million dollars in a one-time fee to get Rubio over here sooner if they could have.

I agree with the original poster.  NBA teams should be able to contribute as much as they want to a Euro player's buyout.
The reason they limit it is to avoid abuses of Euro contracts to get around the salary cap.

I do agree that they should look into a different sort of system with regards to buy outs to allow more talent to come to the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
everything i had heard was the low limit was that in the past there just was not as much money in playing overseas. the idea isn't for the NBA team to pay the full buyout, but being able to contribute a decent % of it would be nice. back when the limit was last set(98? 05?) $500,000 covered 25%+ of most/every(?) buyout there was.

if there really is a salary cap abuse issue then maybe the change can be limited to draft picks?

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree. I think they will definitely raise the amount, at least a bit.  I don't think they will raise it too much though. 

Another reason I expect them to raise it is because they will likely be cutting rookie salaries, which will make it tougher for these guys to pay the buyouts themselves. 

I could also see them allow different buyout allowances depending on age or draft position.