Author Topic: David Griffin begins sales pitch: "Pelicans the right environment for AD, Zion"  (Read 2620 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26795233/griffin-pels-right-environment-zion-ad

"We'll probably sit together in Los Angeles at some point around the draft workouts that take place there," Griffin said Tuesday during a conference call to introduce Langdon. "And I think that's the next step -- really to look each other in the eye and talk about what's important to us. And we're very optimistic from previous conversations with Rich Paul, his agent, and with all of the people here that know Anthony and know what he's about, we're very confident that we have a compelling situation for him here.

"And if winning is what he is indeed all about, which we have every reason to believe, we feel confident that we can create -- and are creating -- the right environment for Anthony and frankly for high-caliber players of all types to want to be a part of. This is something that we hope creates an energy that recruits itself, and Anthony would just be one step in that process."

So far, there has been no indication that Davis plans to back away from his desire to be traded from the Pelicans or to leave as a free agent after next season. But the team is optimistic that Davis could be swayed by the caliber of changes being made this offseason, including the likely addition of Duke's Williamson with the No. 1 pick.

As for Williamson himself, Griffin balked at speculation that he might not want to play for a struggling, small-market franchise in New Orleans. Griffin said "we know unequivocally" that either Williamson or top prospect Ja Morant would be "thrilled to join us in New Orleans" after Griffin and Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry spent time with each of them following the lottery.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I still expect Davis to be traded. But Griffin has to do his due diligence as the new GM to make sure that relationship can't be repaired and see if he can regain some leverage in Davis trade talks.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Griffin has to try, but AD if isn't signing the supermax extension before the season it means they absolutely have to trade him.

Once the season starts he can no longer take the supermax mid-season and thus must hit unrestricted FA via his player option.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I still expect Davis to be traded. But Griffin has to do his due diligence as the new GM to make sure that relationship can't be repaired and see if he can regain some leverage in Davis trade talks.

Bingo. Even if the relationship with AD is irreparable, you have to make it seem like you're willing to keep him and see how things go, otherwise your only leverage is playing teams against each other
I'm bitter.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The last effort before moving on

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Griffin has to try, but AD if isn't signing the supermax extension before the season it means they absolutely have to trade him.

Once the season starts he can no longer take the supermax mid-season and thus must hit unrestricted FA via his player option.

Can you explain how you are so sure?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If Anthony Davis does not sign the extension before the start of the league year, he cannot sign it till the season is over.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24
A designated veteran extension can only be signed from the end of the July Moratorium through the last day before the start of the regular season. A player who signs a designated veteran contract or extension can't be traded for one year after he is signed.

So if Anthony Davis doesn't sign his new max contract in the offseason he will be a FA, thus the Pelicans can lose him for nothing. Given the caliber of picks/players offered for him that's a risk they cannot take.

This isn't a situation where the player says he's staying or plays coy (like Steph or Kyrie respectively). He's specifically said he is leaving in FA and asked for a trade, you cannot keep him and lose him for nothing when you could have multiple good players and picks in return for him.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:26:25 PM by Fafnir »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

If Anthony Davis does not sign the extension before the start of the league year, he cannot sign it till the season is over.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24
A designated veteran extension can only be signed from the end of the July Moratorium through the last day before the start of the regular season. A player who signs a designated veteran contract or extension can't be traded for one year after he is signed.

So if Anthony Davis doesn't sign his new max contract in the offseason he will be a FA, thus the Pelicans can lose him for nothing. Given the caliber of picks/players offered for him that's a risk they cannot take.

This isn't a situation where the player says he's staying or plays coy (like Steph or Kyrie respectively). He's specifically said he is leaving in FA and asked for a trade, you cannot keep him and lose him for nothing when you could have multiple good players and picks in return for him.

TP for making too much sense.

He announced he is leaving. Griffin engaged in "face saving" activity.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This smells like a bluff to drive up the price of AD!

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I appreciate what Griffin is trying to do here, but this is just painful to watch. This decision wasn't made on a whim, AD has literally had months (and maybe even years!) to think about this. I can't see how adding a rookie - even one as great as Zion - is going to change things.

Now, if they offered up Zion for a player like PG or were able to get KD or Kawhi signed and traded there, then sure, maybe, but that doesn't seem like something that is going to happen.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I appreciate what Griffin is trying to do here, but this is just painful to watch. This decision wasn't made on a whim, AD has literally had months (and maybe even years!) to think about this. I can't see how adding a rookie - even one as great as Zion - is going to change things.

Now, if they offered up Zion for a player like PG or were able to get KD or Kawhi signed and traded there, then sure, maybe, but that doesn't seem like something that is going to happen.

He'd get fired the same day he offered Zion for PG.

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Anyone think it's possible Griffin makes this proposal to Davis: "Sign sign the Supermax and give the team a try for next season. If by the start of next year we are below the 8th spot, I promise to trade you at the deadline"

I think Davis might be tempted to accept and guarantee the extra money he would lose as UFA. For Griffin, even if he has to trade Davis at the deadline, he would be able to ask so much more in return than he can now.

What do you guys think? I don't even know if it's possible behind CBA rules (player traded in the first deadline after signing the supermax)
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Jokes on him, where was the help that Davis needed dating back to 2012?

Davis is gone and should be on his way to Boston.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Anyone think it's possible Griffin makes this proposal to Davis: "Sign sign the Supermax and give the team a try for next season. If by the start of next year we are below the 8th spot, I promise to trade you at the deadline"

I think Davis might be tempted to accept and guarantee the extra money he would lose as UFA. For Griffin, even if he has to trade Davis at the deadline, he would be able to ask so much more in return than he can now.

What do you guys think? I don't even know if it's possible behind CBA rules (player traded in the first deadline after signing the supermax)

This is a good concept, but doubt being in the top 8 will make AD want to stay. Maybe top 2-3, which is very unlikely.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
From AD's point of view, it may be appealing to play on a better team, but it will be a really unappealing situation for a top 5 player to have a deeply damaged relationship with the fans, PLUS have the most hyped rookie in a decade come in and take over all the attention.

Unless disaster strikes, it will be Zion's world and he will just be living in it. If he stays, the best he can hope for is to repair his relationship with the fans and play the David Robinson role for a hyper-charismatic superstar. At least Duncan was stoic and deferential. It would be tough on his ego.

I don't see how he chooses to stay.