Author Topic: Magic rips Rob Pelinka, calls him a backstabber  (Read 4900 times)

Magic rips Rob Pelinka, calls him a backstabber
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Using the word "betrayal," Magic Johnson made it clear that general manager Rob Pelinka was the one "backstabbing" him, telling people that he wasn't working hard and wanting to take his job with the Los Angeles Lakers.

In an appearance on First Take on Monday morning, Johnson did not hold back, identifying Pelinka as the person he was alluding to when he mentioned that he was tired of the "backstabbing" and "the whispering" that was going on behind his back when he suddenly stepped down as Lakers president of basketball operations on April 9.

Johnson explained that the other reason he ultimately stepped down before the Lakers' regular-season finale was that he felt he no longer had the power to make decisions, having previously answered just to controlling owner Jeanie Buss. Johnson said he wasn't allowed to fire then head coach Luke Walton after Tim Harris, Lakers president of basketball operations/NBA alternate governor, became too involved in basketball decisions.

"The straw that broke the camel's back was I wanted to fire Luke Walton," Johnson said. "I showed her the things he did well and the things he didn't do well. I said listen, we got to get a better coach. First day, well let's think about it. Second day, OK you can fire him. Then the next day, no we should try to work it out."

"So we went back and forth like that and then she brought Tim Harris into the meeting, some of the guys and Tim wanted to keep him because he was friends with him I said when I looked up, I only really answer to Jeanie Buss," Johnson continued. "Now I got Tim involved. It's time for me to go. I got things happening that were being said behind my back. I don't have the power I thought I had to make decisions. And I told them, when it is not fun for me, when I think I don't have the decision-making power I thought I had, I got to step aside."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26787295/magic-lakers-gm-pelinka-was-backstabbing

He makes the Lakers' front office sound like a hot mess.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Magic rips Rob Pelinka, calls him a backstabber
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 11:46:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Using the word "betrayal," Magic Johnson made it clear that general manager Rob Pelinka was the one "backstabbing" him, telling people that he wasn't working hard and wanting to take his job with the Los Angeles Lakers.

In an appearance on First Take on Monday morning, Johnson did not hold back, identifying Pelinka as the person he was alluding to when he mentioned that he was tired of the "backstabbing" and "the whispering" that was going on behind his back when he suddenly stepped down as Lakers president of basketball operations on April 9.

Johnson explained that the other reason he ultimately stepped down before the Lakers' regular-season finale was that he felt he no longer had the power to make decisions, having previously answered just to controlling owner Jeanie Buss. Johnson said he wasn't allowed to fire then head coach Luke Walton after Tim Harris, Lakers president of basketball operations/NBA alternate governor, became too involved in basketball decisions.

"The straw that broke the camel's back was I wanted to fire Luke Walton," Johnson said. "I showed her the things he did well and the things he didn't do well. I said listen, we got to get a better coach. First day, well let's think about it. Second day, OK you can fire him. Then the next day, no we should try to work it out."

"So we went back and forth like that and then she brought Tim Harris into the meeting, some of the guys and Tim wanted to keep him because he was friends with him I said when I looked up, I only really answer to Jeanie Buss," Johnson continued. "Now I got Tim involved. It's time for me to go. I got things happening that were being said behind my back. I don't have the power I thought I had to make decisions. And I told them, when it is not fun for me, when I think I don't have the decision-making power I thought I had, I got to step aside."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26787295/magic-lakers-gm-pelinka-was-backstabbing

He makes the Lakers' front office sound like a hot mess.

What doesnt make sense is

Just fire Pelinka then

Geeez

Also Walton was ultimately fired. So what happened?

Sounds like Magic couldnt deal with the process and politics of the job

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Magic owns many businesses.

Do you think there's a chance that he wasn't in the building as often as his competing presidents of basketball operations?

People talk sh*t on losing teams. I probably would be peaved too if I couldn't find Magic in the office.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Hearing that the Lakers front office is a hot mess ... what a great way to start the week. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
As much as i dislike Stephan A- he can get people to talk!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
This is old news in LA. Ramona Shelburne was on local radio 2 weeks ago sharing this story, that Rob was undermining Magic and played a "large role" in his quitting. She also pointed out Rob as the one negotiating in the press and working closely with Klutch on a strategy to steer players to the Lakers. Many people were quick to blame Rich Paul, but Pelinka was just as complicit. It also explains the reluctance that N.O. has in dealing with the Lakers, as they viewed it as collusion between the two.

As a Laker-hater, I find myself listening to more local talk radio and the schadenfraude of the Jeannie Buss/LeBron/Pelinka/Rambis' leadership. It's better than a soap opera.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I suspect that this is not all that different than any other front office.  Different people, different agendas/opinions, Magic just doesn't have the patience for it.  Not surprising at all to me.  Firing a coach or not is a big decision.  Most executives would be forming consensus by working behind the scenes.  I suspect Magic was not doing much of this.

EDIT

I do wonder though how LeBron figured in on all of this.  You would think he would have an opinion as to whether or not to fire a coach.  Who was he siding with on this and how much was he influencing things.  He may have been the one going around behind people's backs and pushing an agenda.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:17:34 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
not sure what will be next

Vogel hired as coach

then Lebron asks for a trade? lol

need more butter on the popcorn

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
When LeBron was signed, Walton didnt stand a chance
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't want to see another word about women in the workplace.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 01:22:34 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
What's sad is the league still favors these clowns. They are still going to get calls, they will still get "lucky" in the lottery, they will still be able to openly tamper without repercussions. They will still have the media destabilizing other franchises for them.

The Lakers are like the spoiled rich kid who can't do anything right but keeps getting bailed out whenever they get into trouble. SMH

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is some serious Knicks level dysfunction. Especially with the business VP sitting in on all the basketball decisions against the GMs wishes.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't want to see another word about women in the workplace.

I hope you know that my response to him was not serious as I was just showing that gender stereotypes can also be used with men. I certainly don't believe either point of view.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:02:40 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Really believe LeBron is trying to run the Lakers team..what coach he want and what players he wants
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin