Author Topic: You People Are Scaring Me Regarding Anthony Davis...  (Read 6477 times)

Re: You People Are Scaring Me Regarding Anthony Davis...
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
New Orleans does not even consider trading Davis until after the season and maybe even after free agency starts, which means Boston might be able to match his salary by pretty much only trading the players selected with the BKN and LAL picks (if they are say 1 and 2) and Morris or Crowder (I'm a bit torn on which one I'd rather trade though the season may make it easier).  Thus this idea that the team would be gutted is likely very premature.  The question then becomes do you trade 2 of Bagley/Porter/Ayton/Bamba for Davis.  I think you do. 

So you trade the two picks and Morris for Davis and then re-sign Thomas (Smart is pretty much gone unless he takes a heavy discount) and enter next season

PG - Thomas, Rozier
SG - Brown, Vet Min, Rookie
SF - Hayward, Crowder
PF - Davis, Tatum, Yabusele, Nader
C - Horford, Zizic, Theis

Even if James stays in Cleveland next summer, that team would be favored in the East and would pose a real threat to the Warriors.

This seems ideal only I'd draft Doncic as a long term IT replacement and send them some of the other 546545123 first rounders we have instead. That's the perfect scenario that sets us up now and for the future with Hayward as the bridge..

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I don't understand why the reports are that we'd target AD if New Orleans is struggling... wouldn't Cousins be in the same situation but come cheaper?

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I don't understand why the reports are that we'd target AD if New Orleans is struggling... wouldn't Cousins be in the same situation but come cheaper?

It's because AD is one of the best 5 players in the NBA and Cousins is a guy who gets a lot of stats but loses all the time and is super mercurial

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's because AD is one of the best 5 players in the NBA and Cousins is a guy who gets a lot of stats but loses all the time and is super mercurial

In fairness, Davis "loses all the time", too.  He's got a 160-250 career record, and has only made the playoffs once, as a #8 seed that got swept.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

In fairness, Davis "loses all the time", too.  He's got a 160-250 career record, and has only made the playoffs once, as a #8 seed that got swept.

To continue the fairness, he's also missed 75 games in his five year career. 15 games per year is a good amount of time to miss.

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

I mean... Cousins was traded for relatively cheap too back in February (a lot cheaper than people had expected), and Ainge didn't even make an offer. Neither did the Lakers or a bunch of teams.

Pretty clear CBS and Ainge don't want him at this point.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
In theory you would think AD and Cousins would form a devastating duo with a winning formula as long as they have the right role players around them.  Both AD and Cousins can shoot in and out of the paint so I wouldn't think they would get in each other's way.

With an offseason together it will be interesting to see how they look.

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I mean... Cousins was traded for relatively cheap too back in February (a lot cheaper than people had expected), and Ainge didn't even make an offer. Neither did the Lakers or a bunch of teams.

Pretty clear CBS and Ainge don't want him at this point.

To be fair, the Lakers not closing the deal - because they did make an offer - is what lead to Jeanie Buss shaking up the front office with Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
As  Much as I like Davis, I'm starting to think we might be better off with the lotto picks we keep getting. Those are great talent on budget contracts. Perfect way to complement our core players

I see us flipping for Davis if we try a few years without winning with our current core.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:25:43 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:25 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't think trading a guy halfway through his contract to massively upgrade the team says anything negative to free agents, frankly. 

Anthony Davis is a 24 year old superstar. Those are the type of guys you pay for.

Exactly.  Agents and players around the league would understand the rationale behind that move. 

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't worry, DA will kick the tires on a trade for Davis but balk on the price. Then Davis will be traded to another team for 30 cents on the dollar. A C's source will tell a reporter Pelicans wanted the entire team, while later the Pelicans GM will deny any such offers from DA.

Rinse and repeat...

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When an organization is noted for having a ton of picks and players stashed away, they never get square deal.

It's very typical to try to get as much as you can from the wealthy. The NBA teams know exactly what the Celtics have in their wallet.

It's up to Danny to stand above the more reckless fan.

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
i'd part with brown IF WE HAD TO but not tatum i am fine with giving them plenty picks though.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I think the name we should be looking more at this deadline or next summer is KRISTAPS PORZINGIS.

Anthony Davis is currently one of the eight best basketball players in the world. He is a perennial lock for the All-NBA teams. There's a legitimate chance that he will eventually be the NBA's MVP. Kristaps Porzingis will never be as good as Davis was when he was 21.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
because Cousins is a free agent and can't be traded next summer while Davis cam
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip