Author Topic: Jeff  (Read 5221 times)

Jeff
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I know that he's got plenty of threads going around here that are dedicated to discussing his play and his future, but I just thought we needed a new one tonight.

I'm so happy for that guy.  I feel like he really became a Celtic this year, and I'm looking forward to a long future with Jeff Green in green. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Jeff
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04:53 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
The new age Celtics. Scrappy. Scratching and crawling. Sweat and blood.

Bass reinforced his position.

AB renewed his vows.

JG was baptized today.

Welcome to the family. Whether we lose KG/Pierce or not, I hope we keep this culture.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:21:56 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I said Green is gonna avg 20 next season if PP and KG come back (25 without them)... I change my mind, he avgd 20pts this playoffs, I think he will avg 25 next season no matter who's out there. I just feel it! Let's go G8!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:23:33 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Him, Rondo, Sully, and a good big would be nice moving forward

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I said Green is gonna avg 20 next season if PP and KG come back (25 without them)... I change my mind, he avgd 20pts this playoffs, I think he will avg 25 next season no matter who's out there. I just feel it! Let's go G8!

love jeff, but no way in hell he averages 25 a game , only elite scorers in their prime do that. PP, Kobe, Lebron,Durant,Wade types

He won't even average 20 points , unless he is playing 45 mins a game .

More likely in the 17,18 ppg range with good efficiency .

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:35:37 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

love jeff, but no way in hell he averages 25 a game , only elite scorers in their prime do that. PP, Kobe, Lebron,Durant,Wade types

He avg 20 in the playoffs, where defense is ratcheted way up. He avg like 23 or so as starter regular season... 2-5 more pts isn't that out of hand! Also consider that his stamina isn't all the way back yet.

I can't wait for the I told you so, like I said the other day, I'm betting anyone (who reminds me) TPs if they bet me!

Let's go Green!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:37:58 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I also think that Green can't run hard coast to coast like he did in the playoffs for 82 games. On the other hand, I expect him to be better conditioned next season.

I hope he is still aggressive to go coast to coast when it makes sense, even when Rondo wants the ball. We don't want to be predictable.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

He avg 20 in the playoffs, where defense is ratcheted way up. He avg like 23 or so as starter regular season... 2-5 more pts isn't that out of hand! Also consider that his stamina isn't all the way back yet.

I can't wait for the I told you so, like I said the other day, I'm betting anyone (who reminds me) TPs if they bet me!

Let's go Green!
Considering how few points we scored over the series, you have a point.

Don't forget Rondo. Rondo scores more points in the playoffs than in the regular season. Who knows what style Green will fall back into in the regular season -- especially when our PG returns.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 01:58:48 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Jeff needs to improve his midrange jump shop and to add a short range one.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 02:14:26 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Jeff has a silky smooth jump shot, earth shattering dunks, beautiful lay ups, above average defense, and most of all he's turning into a 4th quarter cold blooded player.

He's learning from PP and KG.

I'm excited for next season even if we lose Paul and Kevin.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

if pp and kg come back, but we play like jeff is our 2nd best player (next to Rondo), that's going to be cake for him.
he avged 20.1 in 35 min as a starter with no real PG. That's mainly off him running coast to coast or what have u.
he avged 20.6 in 45 min in the playoffs as a starter with no real PG.
in all of this, he was our THIRD OPTION. We absolutely never call plays for Jeff.
I don't think 5 points is a toughie for Jeff.

But, I'm also fine with him avging 20pts next season too. I just think 25 isn't out of it for him.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Let's go Green!

He played 43 minutes per game though. If you project his scoring out to 36mpg, its 17ppg. There are around 40 guys in this current playoffs - 2 or 3 per team - averaging more points per minute than Green.

Interestingly enough in the regular season he played only 28mpg, but if you project his regular season scoring out to 36mpg you get...16.6ppg. Pretty much the same.

That number is pretty close to his per-36 scoring average (16.2) when he was 22 playing for OKC.

He didn't score a whole lot more in these playoffs than his career average pace.

Your point about pace/defense is worth noting - though wasn't he being guarded by Carmelo?

But to average 25ppg next year - I say no way. That would put him in James Harden territory, 5th in the league. Green is an effective offensive role player, but he's not a dominant league-leading scorer. There's a world of difference between the two.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Let's go Green!

He played 43 minutes per game though. If you project his scoring out to 36mpg, its 17ppg. There are around 40 guys in this current playoffs - 2 or 3 per team - averaging more points per minute than Green.

Interestingly enough in the regular season he played only 28mpg, but if you project his regular season scoring out to 36mpg you get...16.6ppg. Pretty much the same.

That number is pretty close to his per-36 scoring average (16.2) when he was 22 playing for OKC.

He didn't score a whole lot more in these playoffs than his career average pace.

Your point about pace/defense is worth noting - though wasn't he being guarded by Carmelo?

But to average 25ppg next year - I say no way. That would put him in James Harden territory, 5th in the league. Green is an effective offensive role player, but he's not a dominant league-leading scorer. There's a world of difference between the two.

sorry, but is the scoring title based on per36 or no?
also, i think we're talking about JG exclusively as a starter.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:13:10 AM by kgainez »

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
and also Boris,

James Harden averaged a little less than 17ppg last year coming off the bench when he was with OKC. As the #1 guy in Houston, he's avging a little over 25ppg.

I think we're saying that in a similar situation, JG would do similar things. I think 25ppg for Jeff is a stretch, yes. But I think 20-22 for JG as a starter, assuming he's next to Rondo, shouldn't be a tough task. Especially if there's no KG or PP to defer to. He becomes that (second) guy.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Let's go Green!
Considering how few points we scored over the series, you have a point.

Don't forget Rondo. Rondo scores more points in the playoffs than in the regular season. Who knows what style Green will fall back into in the regular season -- especially when our PG returns.

Part of why we scored so few points is because we threw the gameplan that was working to the trash. What had made this team good in Rondo's absence was our strong perimeter defense, how that defense sped up the game for us, and allowed us to move the ball.

Instead we brought Green to the starting line-up. Didn't use back-up SFs, so Pierce was playing even slower due to fatigue, and we were playing everything through him, with the ball sticking to him. This was a big problem throughout all the season, that we expected to have success doing that through a full series in the playoffs was dumb. Maybe that's not how Doc wanted to play, but it's what we ended up doing. Ball movement and defensive speed was our key, and it was removed from the equation.

We saw a little bit in the 4th quarter against the Knicks... where the heck was that Avery Bradley throughout the whole series? The full court instigator that was a pest to ball handlers?

This playoff series was a complete waste of time. I would've liked to see them play how they were supposed to, but it wasn't meant to happen I guess.