Author Topic: The Real Question We Should Be Asking (Can BBD be future starter?)  (Read 11559 times)

Re: The Real Question We Should Be Asking (Can BBD be future starter?)
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
no he get blocked shot a lot.
Edgar,i agree.tp

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I know the consensus is that he cannot start in the NBA, but he has shown that he can when given the chance. He averaged over 15 ppg last playoffs and scored over 20 when given the chance to start in game 2. I think he could start and be an impact player download.

That being said, I would rather find a better replacement and keep Glen coming off the bench. But if necessary i think BBD could be an effective starter if necessary
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know the consensus is that he cannot start in the NBA, but he has shown that he can when given the chance. He averaged over 15 ppg last playoffs and scored over 20 when given the chance to start in game 2. I think he could start and be an impact player download.

That being said, I would rather find a better replacement and keep Glen coming off the bench. But if necessary i think BBD could be an effective starter if necessary
15 PPG at his efficiency level isn't all that good.

Especially when his defense and rebounding are below average.

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
BBD defense and rebounding are above average, not below average.

Scoobydoo, I definately agree with you. I wish I could articulate my thoughts as well as you do. Excellent post and TP to you.

BBD is always improving. When he has a problem with something, he starts working on it and you can see that in his games the last two years. Baring injury, he will become a starter for a contending team in the future, imho.

I question the losing weight issue simply because his weight gives him that bulk he needs to defend the paint. I cannot see him 25 lbs. lighter; maybe 15 lbs. at most. He has the body type and strength of a bear and yet the feet of a ballerina. His BB I.Q. is superb and his heart is unsurpassed. I'm so grateful we have him right now. Who knows, we may yet win the Championship.

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Out of a 442 qualifying players, Glen Davis is 130th in rebounds per 48 minutes. He is not above average at rebounding, he's above average at offensive rebounding but defensive rebounds are important too.

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Out of a 442 qualifying players, Glen Davis is 130th in rebounds per 48 minutes. He is not above average at rebounding, he's above average at offensive rebounding but defensive rebounds are important too.

I'm curious about the offensive rebounding, even.  A large part of BBD's success on that end is due to his hustle and energy.  However, isn't a large factor in his offensive rebound rate related to his blocked shots?  Shots that are blocked back into his arms are credited as offensive rebounds.  Since BBD is blocked on 25% of his shots, I've got to think that that factors into his statistical success in that area.

To be clear, though, I like what BBD has been bringing to the team lately.  I just think some of his skills have been trumped up a bit by his most ardent supporters.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Ok so after game 2 I saw the thread questioning our lineup with KG as opposed to BBD. The question I would like answered, and I admit I can't really make up mind on this one, can BBD be our future starting PF??? I would have said no during the season but now I'm actually considering this as a possibility.

Any thoughts?

Skipping the replies to save my sanity..

I think he could be a good SF/PF mix but, you would need a big defensive Center and very efficient scorer at the 3.

I would rather him continue to be the first big off the bench.  

Interestingly enough the blocks are not aberration while his offensive rebounds are..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:43:33 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
You fail to take into account the stats are skewwed due to his limited minutes this season due to injury and playing off the bench, Fafnir.

And Roy, no, that is not true. Maybe in a couple of games this year but not as a rule.

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I'm curious about the offensive rebounding, even.  A large part of BBD's success on that end is due to his hustle and energy.  However, isn't a large factor in his offensive rebound rate related to his blocked shots?  Shots that are blocked back into his arms are credited as offensive rebounds.  Since BBD is blocked on 25% of his shots, I've got to think that that factors into his statistical success in that area.

To be clear, though, I like what BBD has been bringing to the team lately.  I just think some of his skills have been trumped up a bit by his most ardent supporters.
That may boost his numbers a bit, but wasn't he the only guy in the league to get more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds?  I think so.  It's kind of strange.  I wonder if he's extra motivated on that end because he has a chance to get two points afterword.

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 11:53:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2419
Glen Davis' defense at the center position is above average. His defense at the four is below average.

His rebounding is below average but serviceable at both positions.

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Glen Davis' defense at the center position is above average. His defense at the four is below average.

I think that is still too general.

I think Davis is a good low post defender, a slightly below average perimeter defender (although still better than every C's big man other than KG and Scal), and a good positional team defender.

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
You fail to take into account the stats are skewwed due to his limited minutes this season due to injury and playing off the bench, Fafnir.

How are they skewed? From basketball-reference.com:

His rebounding numbers are consistent across his career, all below average for a PF/C. Heck last year when he started and played more minutes his rebounding decreased!

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think Davis is a good low post defender, a slightly below average perimeter defender (although still better than every C's big man other than KG and Scal), and a good positional team defender.
He also has problems with opposing Cs and PFs who are comfortable shooting right over the top of him.

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2419

Glen Davis' team defense is a lot more effective when he closer to the rim + guarding a player with mediocre quickness/athleticism + guarding players who are uncomfortable stepping away from the paint and hitting midrange jump shots.

Those players are consistently found at the five ... and as a starting power forward, Davis would come up against the opposite -- skilled, athletic and able to step away from the rim -- on an almost nightly basis.

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

That may boost his numbers a bit, but wasn't he the only guy in the league to get more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds?  I think so.  It's kind of strange.  I wonder if he's extra motivated on that end because he has a chance to get two points afterword.

He actually ended up with slightly more defensive rebounds (104 defensive, 101 offensive).

Looking at the numbers, BBD had 279 shot attempts.  58% of those attempts were from inside, so he took approximately 162 inside shots.  Of those, 25% were blocked, or about 40 - 41 shots overall.

Assuming he gets back 33% of those shots (which is probably a bit conservative, but who knows?), that a total of about 13 - 14 extra offensive boards.  Those would account for roughly 13% - 14% of his total offensive boards, meaning that the large majority of his boards still come from his hustle, etc.  However, I do think these extra blocked shots do effect his offensive rebounding percentage by a slight margin, although not by as much as I initially anticipated.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions