Author Topic: Would Pierce opt out to go home?  (Read 5933 times)

Re: Would Pierce opt out to go home?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
haha and leave 21 million on the table. would you?
At the expense of possibly never making another penny playing basketball after that(clearly a stretch I know but a possibility depending upon the length of the lockout)?

If he can opt out and sign a $50 million contract, and believe me his agent will already have assurances of offers that big before he advised Paul to opt out, The why wouldn't he opt out of a $21 million contract when there is a distinct possibility of a lockout and then no one wanting to give Paul anything more than a one year deal for very little money thereafter considering the length of time away from the game and his age.

Marbury was forced to take a year off from ball at the age of 30 and went from a 15 PPG game scorer who could shoot a TS% of 53% to a 4 PPG scorer who could only shoot a TS% of 38%. A year away from the game at the age of 34 is probably going to have a horrible effect on Pierce and you can bet teams will not be rushing to hand him offers to sign.

Nobody is going to pay PP that kind of money (or even $40M) on the eve of a new CBA. Especially after the year he's had and his constant injuries.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
haha and leave 21 million on the table. would you?
At the expense of possibly never making another penny playing basketball after that(clearly a stretch I know but a possibility depending upon the length of the lockout)?

If he can opt out and sign a $50 million contract, and believe me his agent will already have assurances of offers that big before he advised Paul to opt out, The why wouldn't he opt out of a $21 million contract when there is a distinct possibility of a lockout and then no one wanting to give Paul anything more than a one year deal for very little money thereafter considering the length of time away from the game and his age.

Marbury was forced to take a year off from ball at the age of 30 and went from a 15 PPG game scorer who could shoot a TS% of 53% to a 4 PPG scorer who could only shoot a TS% of 38%. A year away from the game at the age of 34 is probably going to have a horrible effect on Pierce and you can bet teams will not be rushing to hand him offers to sign.

Nobody is going to pay PP that kind of money (or even $40M) on the eve of a new CBA. Especially after the year he's had and his constant injuries.
Oh, I don't know about that. I think the owners are going to act like drunken sailors the night before shipping off to a possible life ending battle and over spend at every opportunity this off season. 7 teams have the ability to give max level contracts and several more have enough money to spend well over the MLE.

Not every one of the big names are going to be leaving their teams. That's going to leave a lot of teams with a lot of cash to spend.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
What is our cap flexibility if both Allen and Pierce leave?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
pierce's game is just as pathetic now as KGs.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wouldn't it be weird if Pierce opted out and we traded KG, but we kept Ray Allen? At this point, I don't think it is impossible. Ray Ray seems the least in decline right now, but that may have to do with the injury situation of the other two.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I think, if we renouced all our FA's, we'd have 5 players under contract for around $42 million, plus cap holds for draft picks (roughly $46 million) and with 6 roster spaces to fill, we'd have about $10 million to be still under the cap...meaning, to stay under, we'd have to fill out the roster with guys like TA, Shelden, and a bunch of minimum contract players.

Could we make the playoffs with a roster of Rondo/TA/Rookie/KG/Perk, with Sheed, BBD, Shelden, and minimum contract players off the bench?  Could Rondo and what's left of KG get us to the 8th seed at least?  Actually, I think they might...

But there wouldn't be enough money to get a talented FA this year.

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
"It just might be in Paul Pierce's best interest to opt out of his contract and try to sign a three or four year deal for his last contract at a really nice 8 digit number"

Seriously? play 3 more years for 24 million when he could make 21 next year. If you employer asked you to work 2.5 years for what you could make in 1 would you?

If he wants to go home so bad why not just play 1 more year and then retire. I hope your not Pierce's financial advisor  
are you?

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
"It just might be in Paul Pierce's best interest to opt out of his contract and try to sign a three or four year deal for his last contract at a really nice 8 digit number"

Seriously? play 3 more years for 24 million when he could make 21 next year. If you employer asked you to work 2.5 years for what you could make in 1 would you?

If he wants to go home so bad why not just play 1 more year and then retire. I hope your not Pierce's financial advisor  
are you?

I hope you're not his financial advisor for his sake.

Manu Ginobili, who is the same age and talent level as Paul Pierce just got 3 years for 40 million. And Pierce has proven much more durable. And you think Pierce would get 3 for 24? Just unrealistic.

I'd say there's a 90% chance that he opts out.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I think, if we renouced all our FA's, we'd have 5 players under contract for around $42 million, plus cap holds for draft picks (roughly $46 million) and with 6 roster spaces to fill, we'd have about $10 million to be still under the cap...meaning, to stay under, we'd have to fill out the roster with guys like TA, Shelden, and a bunch of minimum contract players.

Could we make the playoffs with a roster of Rondo/TA/Rookie/KG/Perk, with Sheed, BBD, Shelden, and minimum contract players off the bench?  Could Rondo and what's left of KG get us to the 8th seed at least?  Actually, I think they might...

TP! thank you.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

are you?

Manu Ginobili just got 3 years, $39 Million. I think Pierce could get more than that from a team (like the Clippers, perhaps) who lose the LeBron sweepstakes. I don't think 4 years, $52 Million is out of the question for Pierce.

Kobe Bryant, by the way, just got 3 years, $83.5 Million. So the owners are definitely still crazy.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

are you?

Manu Ginobili just got 3 years, $39 Million. I think Pierce could get more than that from a team (like the Clippers, perhaps) who lose the LeBron sweepstakes. I don't think 4 years, $52 Million is out of the question for Pierce.

Kobe Bryant, by the way, just got 3 years, $83.5 Million. So the owners are definitely still crazy.

You think Pierce is playing like Kobe or Manu right now?
Pierce in a open market at this age is worth the mid level exception no more.

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

are you?

I guess if he did sign a extention it would be great to watch him taking iso game winners till he is 35. Go Celtics!

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is pretty close. Yes there are 5 players with $42.1 million on the books. The only cap hold the Celtics would have for a draft pick would be their first rounder which at around the 20th pick would be about $1.2 million. That's $43.3. You have to have at least 13 roster spots filled or with cap holds. So if we renounce every free agent and then use the minimum salary cap hold for the other seven roster spots(about $900,000) or about $6 million.

That puts the Celtics best case scenario for being under the cap at $49.3 million with just KG, Rondo, Rasheed, Baby, Perk and their first round pick being on the team and cap space less than the MLE which they won't have because they would be under the cap because the estimates have the cap being put at about $54 million or less.

They are better off with Pierce and being over the cap and having the MLE to spend and not renouncing their free agents.

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I suppose it's important to remember (but easy to forget) how many players didn't finish their careers in Boston, like The Chief, Max, and Danny.  They will always be remembered as Celtics anyway.  Of course, The Chief and Max are in the rafters.

Paul may well go that route, and I'd be cool with it.  Paul Pierce is certainly no Larry Bird.

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

are you?

I hope you're not his financial advisor for his sake.

Manu Ginobili, who is the same age and talent level as Paul Pierce just got 3 years for 40 million. And Pierce has proven much more durable. And you think Pierce would get 3 for 24? Just unrealistic.

I'd say there's a 90% chance that he opts out.
He will not opt out guaranteed. Manu is a much more fundamentally sound player than Pierce is. Manu/Nash/Dirk will have much longer careers because their skills are more refined and they are more fundemental basketball players. Players like Pierce,KG,Iverson are players who depend on more athleticism and when it goes the dropoff is dramatic.

I love Pierce he has been the heart of this team for a long time.
I would be very suprised if he opted out and even more so if he got a mutliyear offer from another club for more than the mid-level exception for 3 years.