Author Topic: Should the Celtics Trade Pierce?  (Read 6899 times)

Should the Celtics Trade Pierce?
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
From a personal standpoint I love Pierce and do not want to see him go anywhere.

If this season is a throwaway and you you have Allen's contract expiring then why not try to clear space and trade Pierce and take a stab at the Free agent market coming up this summer.

I would hate to see Paul go he is my favorite player I just wonder if this makes too much sense business wise and will make your franchise better in the future.

Re: Should the Celtics Trade Pierce?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
No.  I'd prefer to see the Celtics fade into mediocrity and have Pierce retire a Celtic than trade him off for a slightly better chance at contending this year or next.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Even if they clear Pierce on the books, they will not have much more cap space than the MLE.  

I think if they are going to trade Pierce, they are better off waiting until next season, where he will have more value as a rental and expiring contract.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
From a personal standpoint I love Pierce and do not want to see him go anywhere.

If this season is a throwaway and you you have Allen's contract expiring then why not try to clear space and trade Pierce and take a stab at the Free agent market coming up this summer.

I would hate to see Paul go he is my favorite player I just wonder if this makes too much sense business wise and will make your franchise better in the future.
In order for us to have cap space we'd have to trade Pierce, big Baby and someone else for retirings. Then we might have the cap space to sign a max player.

Same idea as letting Ray expire and Pierce opting out next year. Doesn't work.

Even if in a hypothetical situation the Celtics did have cap room, I don't think any elite talent would choose Boston over a warm place like Miami or a team stacked with young talent like the Bulls.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This season isn't a throwaway.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
NO! next question!

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

This season isn't a throwaway.

Only speaking hypothetically! I thought this team was going all the way in '01...

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
No.  I'd prefer to see the Celtics fade into mediocrity and have Pierce retire a Celtic than trade him off for a slightly better chance at contending this year or next.

TP, I agree and I really don't care how unfair or illogical that sounds.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Sacrilege.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

He stuck with us through pitino & recently when we were sooooo bad.  Only reason I'd trade him is ala ray bourque to benefit Paul to win near the end of his career.onlyway
# up in the rafters and entire career in green

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I've never really cared for Pierce...great scorer, but not much of a leader.  If Danny is going to keep this current team together and do nothing more, then we've probably witnessed Pierce win his one and only title.

If they dealt him I would be appreciative of his time as a Celtic, but I wouldn't miss him.

But the problem with this team is that Garnett is slipping into mediocrity and Ray is starting to show rust, so it's unlikely Pierce would ever be dealt anyway...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.......Nyet, Negatory...Nah...

I'd prefer to keep Pierce as well.

The funny thing, though, is that almost every player in the NBA nowadays has been mentioned in a trade...2-3 yrs ago I really thought that Kobe was going to be wearing a Bulls uniform.

Change is a constant, no doubt about that. It is a rare thing to see any player stay in one place.

Heck if I were CLE I'd almost think about trading Lebron away before he potentially leaves town.

I miss the old days where players stayed with their teams.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Nope.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No. End of discussion.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Yes, next season the Celtics should look to trade Paul Pierce.

I hate the idea of Pierce finishing his career elsewhere but I'm not willing to derail the Celtics rebuilding process post-KG just to give Pierce another two years of good money.