Author Topic: Fred Roggin of espn radio in LA says KG may be done for the year  (Read 10070 times)

Re: Fred Roggin of espn radio in LA says KG may be done for the year
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Unless we know the specifics of the injury, and at this point, that seems very murky at best, we just don't know if playing on it will risk further damage or not.  In McHale's case, in the oft-stated yet way off comparison to 1987, it was known he had a stress fracture in his foot, and he knew he was probably doing permanent damage by playing.  Although he still limps, he has said all along that it was worth it, the C's came within 1 game of winning it all, and never made it back to the Finals again until last year.  When it is in front of you, it is hard to play for next year, you just never know if you will get close again, and McHale never did.

With Garnett, unless the C's come out and admit they were lying and that the MRI did show ligament/structural damage that needs reconstructive surgery, something they have vehemently denied up to this point, it is not at all clear, that besides his discomfort and effectiveness, that playing will do permanent harm.  If it is indeed a severe muscle strain, which can take much longer than most people think to heal, and the swelling won't go down in time to let him be 100% for the playoffs, it could just be a matter of dealing with the discomfort or not. 

If in fact they already knew it was the type of injury that would surely get worse and could be career-altering, I find it very curious they would string this along, only to rule him out for the year at some later date because of risk of further injury.  I would be very disappointed if that were true because it would make me very cynical about their motivations in terms of selling playoff tickets, season ticket renewals, etc.  As much as I don't want KG to go down, if it has really been more serious all along then has been let on, I would have preferred they just shut him down, get the proper surgery, and do the best they could the rest of this year.  If all of this drama was just to keep hope alive in the fan base to keep sales strong, I will have lost a lot of respect for the C's organization.

I agree completely, but 4/1. I'm sure of it. : )

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Unless we know the specifics of the injury, and at this point, that seems very murky at best, we just don't know if playing on it will risk further damage or not.  In McHale's case, in the oft-stated yet way off comparison to 1987, it was known he had a stress fracture in his foot, and he knew he was probably doing permanent damage by playing.  Although he still limps, he has said all along that it was worth it, the C's came within 1 game of winning it all, and never made it back to the Finals again until last year.  When it is in front of you, it is hard to play for next year, you just never know if you will get close again, and McHale never did.

With Garnett, unless the C's come out and admit they were lying and that the MRI did show ligament/structural damage that needs reconstructive surgery, something they have vehemently denied up to this point, it is not at all clear, that besides his discomfort and effectiveness, that playing will do permanent harm.  If it is indeed a severe muscle strain, which can take much longer than most people think to heal, and the swelling won't go down in time to let him be 100% for the playoffs, it could just be a matter of dealing with the discomfort or not. 

If in fact they already knew it was the type of injury that would surely get worse and could be career-altering, I find it very curious they would string this along, only to rule him out for the year at some later date because of risk of further injury.  I would be very disappointed if that were true because it would make me very cynical about their motivations in terms of selling playoff tickets, season ticket renewals, etc.  As much as I don't want KG to go down, if it has really been more serious all along then has been let on, I would have preferred they just shut him down, get the proper surgery, and do the best they could the rest of this year.  If all of this drama was just to keep hope alive in the fan base to keep sales strong, I will have lost a lot of respect for the C's organization.

Look, I don't want to turn you into a cynical person - if you've lived so far without being one, this is not a good enough reason to change the tune, but Ainge has just admitted there's the possibility of a surgery down the road. I think that pretty much rules out the muscle strain possibility, no matter how severe it could be, no?

Personally, and although I don't think of myself as a cynic (not that there's anything wrong with being one), my first comment when they announced the muscle strain was to put the hypothesis they were hiding something. I don't think this is necessarily ill-intended - it's just a way to protect the player, his teammates and the franchise. I'm also fairly certain they haven't ruled out KG for the year, at least yet (and I don't think that will happen).

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Look, I don't want to turn you into a cynical person - if you've lived so far without being one, this is not a good enough reason to change the tune, but Ainge has just admitted there's the possibility of a surgery down the road. I think that pretty much rules out the muscle strain possibility, no matter how severe it could be, no?

Personally, and although I don't think of myself as a cynic (not that there's anything wrong with being one), my first comment when they announced the muscle strain was to put the hypothesis they were hiding something. I don't think this is necessarily ill-intended - it's just a way to protect the player, his teammates and the franchise. I'm also fairly certain they haven't ruled out KG for the year, at least yet (and I don't think that will happen).

ordway asked if surgery was coming down the road, DA blew the question off.

I think minor surgery is probley coming, but no one in that interview besides the fat little chipmunk ordway was talking about it for the record.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
jimmy jam is a big time RandB producer in Minnesota....that is his stage name...he was behind a lot of Janet Jackson's stuff

and is in fact about 4 times removed from the garnett family and out of the limelight.

I wonder why he didn't call a boston station with this info? could it be because LA would play it up far more and get his name out thier?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Surgery doesn't tell us much. The team already said he has fragments in there that I expect could be cleaned out through surgery.

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

ordway asked if surgery was coming down the road, DA blew the question off.

I think minor surgery is probley coming, but no one in that interview besides the fat little chipmunk ordway was talking about it for the record.

I didn't listen to the interview, I was just going by what I read in the initial report published in the forum.   

Anyway, the point remains: it's certainly something else than a muscle strain. I was suspicious when they announced it and fairly sure it wasn't a simple muscle strain when they announced he'd only be playing 15 minutes per night the first few games.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:54:03 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
kind of reminds me of the Tiger injury...where he played so long on it and finally had to get surgery...i expect sometime this summer we hear KG has surgery to clean up his problem

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
KG will never allow KG to be out for the year.

Is KG's brother really named Jimmy Jamm? This is april fools right? Nobody should be allowed to call themselves Jimmy Jamm

Hey, where you guys goin?
The bar, grab Jimmy Jam.

I mean come on.

When I have a child -- boy or girl -- I'm giving strong consideration to naming them Jimmy Jamm.  That, or Thor.

So all that calling him Edgar talk, was just interest.... :'(

Well, Edgar, it's like this.  Edgar is a fine name (although not as fine as Jimmy Jamm).  However, I have some serious reservations about naming my child after the GM of the Crotors.  I want my kid to grow up a winner, you know?

;)

That is the saddest picture ever, Edgar.  Isn't that the starting center of the Crotors?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Is KG's brother really named Jimmy Jamm? This is april fools right? Nobody should be allowed to call themselves Jimmy Jamm

The bar, grab Jimmy Jam.

I mean come on.

When I have a child -- boy or girl -- I'm giving strong consideration to naming them Jimmy Jamm.  That, or Thor.

Well, Edgar, it's like this.  Edgar is a fine name (although not as fine as Jimmy Jamm).  However, I have some serious reservations about naming my child after the GM of the Crotors.  I want my kid to grow up a winner, you know?

;)

That is the saddest picture ever, Edgar.  Isn't that the starting center of the Crotors?

Wow, Roy, no mercy huh? haha
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

The bar, grab Jimmy Jam.

I mean come on.

;)

Last time I check it was 5-3 in my favor.
we will Fight till the end
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Edgar likes the Anime.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

5-3, with half my team not having played yet.  Pierce is going to go off.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I'm waiting to hear from steven i smith.  If steven says Garnett is out for the year, Garnett will be the Finals MVP.

If steven says Garnett is 100%, Garnett's career is over.

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

5-3, with half my team not having played yet.  Pierce is going to go off.

Well I wasnt complaing in the other league where u got 10 games more than me in a week
(well I actually did..lol)
And in this one league is already giving u 3 more games.

Fact No.3445436556..theres a dark deal between roy and yahoo leagues. ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I'm waiting to hear from steven i smith.  If steven says Garnett is out for the year, Garnett will be the Finals MVP.

If steven says Garnett is 100%, Garnett's career is over.

haha I was thinking the exact same thing about Skip Bayless
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."