Author Topic: I prefer the 3rd seed  (Read 8356 times)

Re: I prefer the 3rd seed
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
you want the 2 seed...orlando would be in big trouble as the 3....and i want no part of philly or d wade in round one. give me team turmoil the detroit pistons....this isn't the same pistons as even last year. boston matches up so well with them and would beat them in 5.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Why are we worrying about the first round and where we are seeded?? We are supposed to be the World Champions. We can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime.

How bout we let others worry about playing us.

Because I'd rather not have to play a 7 game series in the Opening round again.  The easier the better...especially given the health of the team (read:KG).  Yes, we can beat anyone in the first round, but the easiest matchup would be nice.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Just saw on ESPN that Miami is now the 6 seed with Philly at 5.  How do you guys feel about this?  Personally, I'd rather play Detroit then Miami.  I don't like the idea of going against Wade in a 7 game series with the way he can take over a game.
do it

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Just saw on ESPN that Miami is now the 6 seed with Philly at 5.  How do you guys feel about this?  Personally, I'd rather play Detroit then Miami.  I don't like the idea of going against Wade in a 7 game series with the way he can take over a game.

Maybe it will be good practice for defending LeBron in a series.

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 12:36:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Could burn us out.  Am I the only one that remembers that King James took a 45 win Cavs team (far inferior than this year's team that is poised to win 67-69 games) 5 points from defeating the Celtics?  Do you guys remember that?  It took a miraculous superhuman rare effort from Paul Pierce to beat them by a 5 points in game 7.   You really wanna deal with Wade?  Lol... really??

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Could burn us out.  Am I the only one that remembers that King James took a 45 win Cavs team (far inferior than this year's team that is poised to win 67-69 games) 5 points from defeating the Celtics?  Do you guys remember that?  It took a miraculous superhuman rare effort from Paul Pierce to beat them by a 5 points in game 7.   You really wanna deal with Wade?  Lol... really??

I'd put our play vs the Cavs last spring somewhere in between how we played when the Hawks took us to 7 games and when we beat Detroit in 6.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:58:10 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

It also took Ray Allen playing the worst basketball I've ever seen him play, as well as Rondo playing very inconsistant. I still see the Celtics poor play as mainly responsible for that series going to 7.

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

It also took Ray Allen playing the worst basketball I've ever seen him play, as well as Rondo playing very inconsistant. I still see the Celtics poor play as mainly responsible for that series going to 7.

Good call about Ray, but I think that was more Cleveland than Ray.  They make a point to take Ray out of the game.  They send two guys to rush him, push him away from the three point line and pretty much make him a nonfactor.  Expect more of the same if we get that far this year.  I'm not sure why more teams don't play Ray this way.  Is their strategy to make Pierce beat them instead of Ray?

In Ray's 3 games this season:

10/28 vs Cavs:  8 points, 2-9 shooting (1-4 from three).
1/9 vs Cavs:  12 points, 5-12 shooting (2-6 from three).
3/6 vs Cavs:  17 points, 6-12 shooting (2-5 from three)

Not bad on the 3rd game.

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Good call about Ray, but I think that was more Cleveland than Ray.  They make a point to take Ray out of the game.  They send two guys to rush him and pretty much make him a nonfactor.  Expect more of the same if we get that far this year.  I'm not sure why more teams don't play Ray this way.  Is their strategy to make Pierce beat them instead of Ray?

Not bad on the 3rd game.

If it hadn't been for the Atlanta and most of the Detroit series, I'd agree that it was Cleveland's D that took him out, but he struggled until the finals. He had an epic dry spell, made worse by playing some good defensive teams, and if Ray is cold it makes it difficult for last year's team because it left Paul to be the go to scorer.

So as far as facing Cleveland in this years playoffs ( all this is if KG is remotely healthy) I expect Ray to play better. And if he's off, I think this team is better equipped to deal with a scoring drought from him because you have two players aside  from Ray in Paul and Rajon that you can go to for offense. For example, in the Bobcats game last night Rajon's penetration and speed in transition was key to that win as it not only got him points but set Eddie and Ray up. I see this as a plus. Also, don't forget that we have a winning record against the Cavs this year so far.  ;)

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

Good call about Ray, but I think that was more Cleveland than Ray.  They make a point to take Ray out of the game.  They send two guys to rush him and pretty much make him a nonfactor.  Expect more of the same if we get that far this year.  I'm not sure why more teams don't play Ray this way.  Is their strategy to make Pierce beat them instead of Ray?

Not bad on the 3rd game.

If it hadn't been for the Atlanta and most of the Detroit series, I'd agree that it was Cleveland's D that took him out, but he struggled until the finals. He had an epic dry spell, made worse by playing some good defensive teams, and if Ray is cold it makes it difficult for last year's team because it left Paul to be the go to scorer.

So as far as facing Cleveland in this years playoffs ( all this is if KG is remotely healthy) I expect Ray to play better. And if he's off, I think this team is better equipped to deal with a scoring drought from him because you have two players aside  from Ray in Paul and Rajon that you can go to for offense. For example, in the Bobcats game last night Rajon's penetration and speed in transition was key to that win as it not only got him points but set Eddie and Ray up. I see this as a plus. Also, don't forget that we have a winning record against the Cavs this year so far.  ;)

I totally agree with you, I think Ray struggled last year but also that Cleveland did a good job on him defensively. I was even surprised to see how the media kept talking about his struggles while never mentioning that the Cavaliers were aways using two defenders on him.

I expect him to be a real factor in the series this year, because he plays better than last year, is more in the flow of the offense and he's got a little revenge to take. I think we saw how much more comfortable he was against the Cavs for the last game against them in Boston this season.