Author Topic: I decided I don't like Dwight Howard  (Read 18818 times)

Re: I decided I don't like Dwight Howard
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 01:36:18 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
Just to clarify, I still think he is an awesome player and can put up ridiculous stats.  As people have mentioned, it is scary to think of what he could do if he had a bigger skill set. 

I was just annoyed that he acted like a fool.

Although, if 3 million people had just voted for me as an All-Star and I was the foundation of the #1 team in the NBA, it would probably go to my head too.  (Heck, I get excited just getting a TP)  Hopefully he takes last night's loss to heart and decides to learn some new tricks (but waits until July or August to work on them!)

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I believe Howard stared at his hand after he made his FIRST shot also!  The camera just didn't zoom in and show it in slow-mo.  That's ridiculous!

I believe he made 4 shots last night... and had an "I'm terrific!" pose for each one.  Yep... kinda hurt my perception of him.

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I used to like Dwight Howard.  He seems like a fun guy, never gets in trouble and is a very good player.  But after last nights game, I decided that I don't like him.

In the first quarter, he seemed to do some cute move after every play.  He had nice jump hooks with each hand but then after each ran down the court looking at his hand (whichever one it was that just made the basket) like it was magical and he couldn't believe it.  Then he had a dunk and did a little flex pose afterward.  This was like defensive backs breakdancing after they make a routine tackle.  Just do your job.  Grr.

Fortunately, he didn't score again until the 4th quarter, so he didn't get a chance for any more of that.

After hearing some public criticism from SVG about him earlier in the season, it seems Dwight is become another prima donna like LeBron.

Or like Paul Pierce? Pierce is more of a prima donna than LeBron. Doesn't change my appreciation of their games though.

Pierce more of a prima donna than LeBron? wait...what? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Lebron misses a layup, doesnt get touched and flops to the ground clutching his face as if he's been knocked out, please there is NO way Pierce is more of a prima donna than "the king" thats ridicoulous
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Dwight Howard seems like a great kid, but he just isn't a very good basketball player.  He gets by on raw athleticism.

If they had his body, I imagine that half the college players in the country would be NBA hall of famers. 

20/14/3 is a very good basketball player based on any criteria.  If those numbers are "just getting by", then I bet half the NBA would like to get by too!  The fact that he is so much more athletic than everyone in a league of athletic, tall men is astounding.

Now the scary thing is he is developing an offensive game...just imagine.

I don't think he's shown a ton of improvement in his offensive game...

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
i haven't liked him since last year when he took a swipe at rondo (someone all ready brought that one up) and i also vaguely remember another incident where he kicked one of the c's... he strikes me as the dirtiest player on the Magic... must be all the religious upbringing :-p

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I don't mind him too much.

The swipe at Rondo was pretty cheap...he's sort of an under the radar dirty player.  Overall though, I like him.

However, it was really annoying to me that after his FIRST shot made last night, he was already doing the staring at the hand thing...I mean are you serious?

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
From my perspective- a C's fan who loves bball but doesn't necessarily follow the rest of the NBA all that closely- Dwight Howard is one of the "annointed ones" that the media has built up, like Greg Oden. Very very good, but overrated.
That's an excellent supporting cast Howard has. Let's see what happens in the playoffs over the next few years.
And the looking at the hand thing- he should be embarrased- he comes off looking stupid when he plays like crap and his team gets spanked.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't mind him too much.

The swipe at Rondo was pretty cheap...he's sort of an under the radar dirty player.  Overall though, I like him.

However, it was really annoying to me that after his FIRST shot made last night, he was already doing the staring at the hand thing...I mean are you serious?

well, to be fair, it is a minor miricle when he hits a non-put back post shot.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The only thing I don't like about D.Howard is how overrated his offense is. His game is based entirely on his strength, and freakish athleticism. I've said it a million times he's a bully offensively. There's a reason he can't score on Perk at will, and that's because he can't out muscle him. He doesn't have much touch, he doesn't know how to use his quickness, and his hook is as consistent as baby's jumper. People always said that about Shaq, but Shaq has shown he has the moves when he isn't dunking. Think about it a bit, when was the last time Dwight had a dominant offensive game against the Celtics?

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Kinda an aside...

Did anyone hear the announcers compare Perk to Dwight last night and commentate that Dwight was being defended by the "much smaller" Kendrick Perkins?  Is he really "much smaller??"  ... Obviously Glen Davis is "much smaller", but they made it seem like Perk was also very outmatched in size in strength.

Dwight is listed as 6-11 265... Perk is listed as 6-10 280.   I don't figure those numbers are entirely accurate... and Dwight is definitely a beast...

Here is my question though.  Who are the biggest men in the game other than Shaq?   I figured Greg Oden was huge at 7 feet 285 until I saw the Blazers play the Suns earlier this year.  Shaq dwarfed Oden.  He is MUCH bigger.   And I assume Oden is a little bigger than Dwight, right?   So who are the top 5 biggest men in the game?

#1 - Shaq
#2 ???

Is Eddy Curry bigger than Oden and Dwight?

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Kinda an aside...

Did anyone hear the announcers compare Perk to Dwight last night and commentate that Dwight was being defended by the "much smaller" Kendrick Perkins?  Is he really "much smaller??"  ... Obviously Glen Davis is "much smaller", but they made it seem like Perk was also very outmatched in size in strength.

Dwight is listed as 6-11 265... Perk is listed as 6-10 280.   I don't figure those numbers are entirely accurate... and Dwight is definitely a beast...

Here is my question though.  Who are the biggest men in the game other than Shaq?   I figured Greg Oden was huge at 7 feet 285 until I saw the Blazers play the Suns earlier this year.  Shaq dwarfed Oden.  He is MUCH bigger.   And I assume Oden is a little bigger than Dwight, right?   So who are the top 5 biggest men in the game?

#1 - Shaq
#2 ???

Yao...

Curry's big, though, and he actually has been guarded by the much smaller Perk.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Kinda an aside...

#1 - Shaq
#2 ???

Yao...

Curry's big, though, and he actually has been guarded by the much smaller Perk.

Whose bigger?  Bynum, Oden or Curry?

Shaq should get back down to his highschool/college playing weight:

Maybe Oden will put on another 100 pounds too...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:17:45 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Dwight Howard seems like a great kid, but he just isn't a very good basketball player.  He gets by on raw athleticism.

If they had his body, I imagine that half the college players in the country would be NBA hall of famers. 

20/14/3 is a very good basketball player based on any criteria.  If those numbers are "just getting by", then I bet half the NBA would like to get by too!  The fact that he is so much more athletic than everyone in a league of athletic, tall men is astounding.

Now the scary thing is he is developing an offensive game...just imagine.

I don't think he's shown a ton of improvement in his offensive game...

I think he has.  It may not be face ups, jump shots or McHale-esque moves, but he is getting better at using his freakish athelticism.  As a comparison, Al Jefferson, aka Mr. Low Post Offense, scores 22 pts on 19 shots, Howard scores 20 pts on 12 shots.

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Kinda an aside...

#1 - Shaq
#2 ???

Curry is bigger as far as waistline goes.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 06:10:54 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
never liked howard. i'm very anti-religion though so any player spouting off about how faithful he is- i have an unfair bias against them. for such a blessed soul he sure loves to throw elbows at little guys.