Author Topic: Kevin McHale as a coach  (Read 9200 times)

Re: Kevin McHale as a coach
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thought before the season started that the Timberwolves might possibly be the biggest surprise team in the league this year. Here's what I said in October:

This season's biggest.......
.... league wide surprise team will be the Timberwolves and this is not just because of their pre-season record. I think they take a nice step forward this year and will have close to 40 wins. I think they have a solid nucleus of 22-24 year olds that are now entering their 5th or more season in the NBA and are going to start to grow. Big Al and Gomes and to a lesser extent, Telfair, did last year. I see more growth there as well as some coming from Brewer and Foye. They will not be world beaters. They won't even make the playoffs. But they are going to improve greatly. And that will be a surprise.

I stand by that and at the same time must admit that Kevin Love has been a lot better than I thought. I still think the Mayo trade was wrong but the kid can play. McHale has done a great job getting these young players to gel over the last three weeks and should be highly commended.

Heck if McHale can get this team to 40 wins, he deserves Coach of the Year honors.

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Mayo is a selfish player who will never win.  I don't care how many indivudual awards he wins.

Love is far more valuable.  He does the things that win games.

Mayo and Rose get alot of hype, but they don't win.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Randy Foye's new found confidence and scoring savvy these past two months, to me, is the main reason why this team is turning the corner a bit.  Maybe you can give McHale some credit for that, but it could just be that Foye is finally healthy again...

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Mchale has taken all the blame for the team's demise as GM, why shouldn't he get alot of the credit now that they are winning shortly after he becomes the HC? 

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Mayo is a selfish player who will never win.  I don't care how many indivudual awards he wins.

Love is far more valuable.  He does the things that win games.

Mayo and Rose get alot of hype, but they don't win.

Two things: Neither Mayo or Rose has a player the Caliber of Al Jefferson on their teams. They have to do more on their team than Love does.

Secondly, you can find guys who do "things that win games" anywhere in the draft. See: Gomes, Ryan (2nd round) or Posey, James (17th pick I think) but when you have the third pick the expectation is that you at least attempt to pick a superstar talent. I like KLove, but I don't think he's that level of a player.