Author Topic: LaVar Ball: A Guide On How to Not Coach Your Sons  (Read 7910 times)

Re: LaVar Ball: A Guide On How to Not Coach Your Sons
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Well, the Lithuanian adventure didn't last long.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/angry-lavar-ball-abruptly-pulls-sons-out-of-lithuania/

Gave me a good laugh this morning - what a knucklehead.  Proving even dumbasses can have a lot of money.

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
eventually the media  fasination with the dumb balls will go away,  more dumbing down of America with trash news of a trash family . 

When their money drys up , nobody will be left standing but Lonzo to carry the flag and support his worthless family of bums. ...oh and a pile of unsold shoes for 2dollars a pair.

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Regarding Lonzos shooting motion.  My son is a high level player so I’ve watched literally hundreds of games from age 8 to now 14 against thousands of kids from multiple states.  Yeah, many kids have the basic form.  But beyond that, you’ll see some crazy forms that would be hard to imagine.

These kids aren’t necessarily coached to shoot that way.  Look at Ball; he has three sons and all three shoot differently.  My point is that kids shoot in ways that feel natural and right to them.  Sometimes it looks “normal”, sometimes it doesn’t.  Could Lonzo have been coached early on to shoot differently?  Sure, but my guess is that it would not have worked very well.

So of all the things I hear about Lonzo, let’s stop talking about his shooting motion like it can be “fixed” or that it’s someone fault.  That is what feels comfortable to him and while you may try to tweak the shot in some ways, his base is just different from others.  You can’t make him shoot like others without getting disastrous results.  Not from the beginning, and especially not now.

It can be fixed. Sure, its very difficult to completely overhaul a form, but even then its not impossible. What most coaches do is take your base form and try to fix aspects of it that are hindering your shot. However, there are forms that are really disadvantageous, and the best answer to that is have it fixed while they are still young.

I had a much different form when I was a kid, I had a quick release that is easy to block due to the lack of elevation and arc. I shot well with it though, esp wide open. After a disastrous summer tournament where the weak point of my form was exposed, my uncle worked hard to improve my shot. I changed my shot to something very similar to Eddie House's and it worked well for me until I injured my wrist 10 years ago which made my control unstable.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
What’s wrong with this guy?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-ball-thinks-wife-major-stroke-nearly-killed-can-quiet-minute-045512451.html

Yeah I read that this morning.  He just sucks as a human being, plain and simple.  And when Kristine Leahy called him out on Cowherd's show when she used to be on there, saying she didn't think he liked or respected women...his response was something along the lines of "I have a wife, so how could I not respect women?"

Well, here's a perfect exhibit A for that that shows Kristine Leahy was 100% correct, he doesn't respect women.  It's entirely possible to have a wife and still not respect women.  But it's not just women, he doesn't respect or care about anyone but himself, including his sons who he sees as simply a potential ATM and nothing else.  And you can tell by the way he talks that getting into a back and forth with him about this stuff is pointless.  He genuinely believes there's nothing wrong with the way he treats people and when you can't get through to a person like that, it's pointless to even try.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:12:20 AM by mahonedog88 »

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-ball-thinks-wife-major-stroke-nearly-killed-can-quiet-minute-045512451.html

He's decided that publicity equals cash, whether it's good or bad. Sadly, he's probably right.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm going to laugh so hard if this dude truly is the reason marquee FA's (including George) sway away from LA this summer  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lakers fans/friends I know are already ruing this possibility.

For a guy that's committed to trying to win championships in Lebron James, does joining the current circus in LAL really give you that opportunity? Especially when LaVar is there and you've already had some beef with him LOL.

Also there's some reports Paul George could actually stay in OKC. I doubt it and still thinks he goes LAL, but even then it won't matter IMHO if Lebron doesn't go there (they could be a first round exit at best with the addition of just George)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's gonna be fun watching this JBA blow up in his face.

Was reading an article a couple of weeks ago about how bad ticket sales have been so far. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I sometimes (only sometimes) tried to give LaVar Ball a little benefit of the doubt.  Some people act stupid with a little bit of fame and a camera in their face all the time.

But, no.  He’s clearly abusive.

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If those quotes from Lavar Ball are true (about his wife's stroke), my conclusion is that Lavar is a bad dude. I thought he was a harmless goofball before. Now I'm rooting against him and his business interests.

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 12:52:37 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bizarre

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 12:59:46 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I hope BBB becomes a billion dollar company, and then she can divorce him and take it all away.

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 09:41:50 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I look forward to the day when I read all about the "Rise and Fall of Lavar Ball."

Everything I see and everything I read indicates that Lavar Ball is a piece of Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..