Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 77535 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2020, 03:58:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
2 minutes, 2 TOs, new set of downs from the 40. The game was there for the taking and we just couldn't come through. Cam has an interesting set of skills, but his passing accuracy is not particularly good. Too bad, between this and the SEA game, we could be 4-1 instead of 2-3.

« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Scored only 12 against a middle-of-the-pack defense that came into this game giving up 24.5 per. Cam stands in the pocket way too much for a running QB. Receivers can't get much separation. I think this team finishes 7-9 and misses the playoffs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2020, 04:09:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
They played like they haven’t practiced in two weeks...

« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2020, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
If we're being honest you really can't blame this loss on 1 or 2 guys. All around they were bad. Of course the injuries to certain guys during the game didn't help either.

Nice that they seemed to wake up in the final 6 minutes. Where the hell was that the previous 54??  >:(

Also each week that goes by the more depressed I feel that we could have had Metcalf or Brown and instead we got N'Keal Harry. Another game, another dud. Our offense is just too predictable. Newton can make some big plays but when defenses dial in on him, the next best thing is a screen to White or Edelman which is also predictable. Besides that, what can they do? Reverse jet sweeps every other play?

Oh and Ryan Izzo might be the Brian Hoyer of TEs  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2020, 04:23:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They played like they haven’t practiced in two weeks...

Exactly.  They look like it's preseason, which makes sense because all of their plans and routines have been blown up by COVID.

Between this and injuries it feels like we're just not going to see the best version of this team at any point this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm treating this whole Covid season with all the disruptions as one big audition for Cam for the permanent job. They'll never admit it but I suspect Bill and Josh are too.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm treating this whole Covid season with all the disruptions as one big audition for Cam for the permanent job. They'll never admit it but I suspect Bill and Josh are too.

Do you think they'd give him a long-term deal going into his age-32 season?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If we can secure Trey Lance in the draft I'd see Cam out. Think he'll be a star
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2020, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I think what really summed it up for the Pats offense was that they needed to use trick plays in the 4th quarter just to drive the ball on this Broncos defense. Like the Broncos aren't terrible but they definitely aren't this good (and they were missing key guys too like Melvin Gordon).

We have our own injuries + the COVID drama, but just like Brady last season Newton also got a glimpse of how it feels when guys can't get open. You hold the ball longer and get sacked or make stupid mistakes. Defenses just need to fill the gaps and cover White (eliminating the screen game) to be successful against us. Denver did that most of the game.

It was infuriating how many times Cam tried to throw a screen and it either got tipped, or even after it was caught they were tackled almost immediately. Predictable  ::)

« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2020, 05:32:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think what really summed it up for the Pats offense was that they needed to use trick plays in the 4th quarter just to drive the ball on this Broncos defense. Like the Broncos aren't terrible but they definitely aren't this good (and they were missing key guys too like Melvin Gordon).

We have our own injuries + the COVID drama, but just like Brady last season Newton also got a glimpse of how it feels when guys can't get open. You hold the ball longer and get sacked or make stupid mistakes. Defenses just need to fill the gaps and cover White (eliminating the screen game) to be successful against us. Denver did that most of the game.

It was infuriating how many times Cam tried to throw a screen and it either got tipped, or even after it was caught they were tackled almost immediately. Predictable  ::)
I've had a real gripe with McDaniels' play-calling for a few years now, and you summed it up in one word - predictable. I don't feel as if our play-calling is dynamic enough

« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I've had a real gripe with McDaniels' play-calling for a few years now, and you summed it up in one word - predictable. I don't feel as if our play-calling is dynamic enough

Right, but the other issue might just be our personnel. Our TEs suck (Izzo is like the Brian Hoyer of TEs lol), and the guys we drafted this past spring apparently aren't even playing. Both TEs, not playing.

Outside of Edelman and the RBs who can they really go to? When Cam did drop back no one was open except Byrd a few times.

« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2020, 06:26:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Right, but the other issue might just be our personnel. Our TEs suck (Izzo is like the Brian Hoyer of TEs lol), and the guys we drafted this past spring apparently aren't even playing. Both TEs, not playing.

Outside of Edelman and the RBs who can they really go to? When Cam did drop back no one was open except Byrd a few times.
Our TEs do suck, but we haven't even given Asiasi a crack for some reason. Keene is hurt, and that sucks, but nothing is forcing us to use Izzo.

We also don't target Harry like, at all. He showed what he can do in the Seattle game and McDaniels, naturally, doesn't try to use him for two weeks.
White should almost at this stage be a full-time WR, because he is no good running the ball. In fact, all 3 of our healthy RBs sucked, none averaging higher than 3.2 YPC lol.
I'd love to see JJ Taylor get a lot of touches when he's healthy again

« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2020, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Is there anything physically wrong with Newton? Maybe his throwing shoulder? He seemed to struggle throwing, and his arm angle was too low (balls getting tipped at line of scrimmage).

« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Is there anything physically wrong with Newton? Maybe his throwing shoulder? He seemed to struggle throwing, and his arm angle was too low (balls getting tipped at line of scrimmage).
Hope it's not his shoulder, he's had shoulder troubles before

« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Even completely healthy, I have doubts on if this team is even good. Our defense will still be good, but our offense is abysmal. Hey Cam, want some receivers? Have a washed up Edelman and underachieving N'Keal Harry. What a great decision to get a gunslinger with a strong arm, and surround him with slot receivers. Think a TE would help the team? Lets draft two and not play them. Instead you can play with the worst best starting TE in the league in Ryan Izzo! This offense is a mess, and I put all the blame on Belicheck's abysmal drafting and roster building decisions these past couple of years. Why did we trade a draft pick for a washed up, oft-injured Mohammed Sanu? A slot receiver on a team that desperately needs some deep ball receivers? Oh don't worry, we'll just release him in less than a year. No wonder why Brady left to a team that'll actually put some talent on the roster.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum