Author Topic: C's recall Fab Melo from D-league  (Read 8311 times)

C's recall Fab Melo from D-league
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Boston Celtics have recalled center Fab Melo from their NBA Development League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws.

Melo, a 7’0” center, averaged 6.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 23.4 minutes over five games for the Red Claws. Melo recorded a high of 14 points against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants on November 25 and recorded a high of 11 rebounds against the Los Angeles D-Fenders on November 30.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224931/Celtics_Recall_Fab_Melo_From_D_League

Re: C's recall Fab Melo from D-league
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On cue, caused by the extremely poor performance of Wilcox. We need all the help we can get there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
On cue, caused by the extremely poor performance of Wilcox. We need all the help we can get there.

Ummm, I think the only cue is that the C's have 3 days off in a row, for him to practice with the team, and the Red Claws are off until Friday.  He will be back in Maine on Friday, I imagine. 

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Ummm, I think the only cue is that the C's have 3 days off in a row, for him to practice with the team, and the Red Claws are off until Friday.  He will be back in Maine on Friday, I imagine.

Makes sense to me... Since when has Wilcox been preforming poorly? He missed a few games cause of sickness and when he got healthy again he went right back to doing what hes been doing for us all season.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
6.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.2 blk in 24 mpg up in Maine for what its worth.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
I'm really glad we took him. I see his ceiling as a 7 foot Perk and there was no one else I would've wanted at the 23rd pick.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Makes sense to me... Since when has Wilcox been preforming poorly? He missed a few games cause of sickness and when he got healthy again he went right back to doing what hes been doing for us all season.
Since forever? Right now, outside of the wide-open dunk, he doesn't do anythign at a rotation-caliber NBA level: doesn't have any offensive moves, is poor defensively, is slow on rotations, doesn't really rebound, doesn't block shots.

Sadly, his only competition, Collins, doesn't do _anything_ worthy of a rotation spot, so Wilcox gets the minutes.

It may well be the case that Melo will be sent back down right away, but we _do_ need all the help we can get at the position right now. Part of this may be Wilcox playing out of position, or the fact he's coming off of a heart surgery, so I'm not going to hold his performance against him. But the situation going forward is not sustainable with him as the primary C backup.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hope he plays.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
But he is awesome at wide open dunks ;)

Since forever? Right now, outside of the wide-open dunk, he doesn't do anythign at a rotation-caliber NBA level: doesn't have any offensive moves, is poor defensively, is slow on rotations, doesn't really rebound, doesn't block shots.

Sadly, his only competition, Collins, doesn't do _anything_ worthy of a rotation spot, so Wilcox gets the minutes.

It may well be the case that Melo will be sent back down right away, but we _do_ need all the help we can get at the position right now. Part of this may be Wilcox playing out of position, or the fact he's coming off of a heart surgery, so I'm not going to hold his performance against him. But the situation going forward is not sustainable with him as the primary C backup.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

While I agree that Wilcox hasn't been great (although he hasn't been that bad either), I don't think there is any chance Doc sees Melo as a way to solve that problem.  Melo had absolutely no clue on the rotations or the offensive system when he played earlier in the year, and I highly doubt that has changed.

And while I don't buy the whole "Doc hates rookies" thing, I do think there is plenty of evidence that Doc would rather stick flaming pencils in his eyes, than put a rookie who is completely lost on defensive rotations (and yes, there is a HUGE difference from Sully thinking through the rotations earlier in the year, and being completely lost, like Melo) on the floor in a real game. 

I am pretty sure Doc feels doing that hurts the team, and the development of the player. 

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
While I agree that Wilcox hasn't been great (although he hasn't been that bad either), I don't think there is any chance Doc sees Melo as a way to solve that problem.  Melo had absolutely no clue on the rotations or the offensive system when he played earlier in the year, and I highly doubt that has changed.

And while I don't buy the whole "Doc hates rookies" thing, I do think there is plenty of evidence that Doc would rather stick flaming pencils in his eyes, than put a rookie who is completely lost on defensive rotations (and yes, there is a HUGE difference from Sully thinking through the rotations earlier in the year, and being completely lost, like Melo) on the floor in a real game. 

I am pretty sure Doc feels doing that hurts the team, and the development of the player.
Not sure I'd classify Wilcox as "not great, but not bad". I thought he was pretty bad recently. As a matter of fact, so bad that even with limited understanding of rotation, Melo may be an upgrade simply because he's an athletic seven footer who takes charges and blocks shots.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Not sure I'd classify Wilcox as "not great, but not bad". I thought he was pretty bad recently. As a matter of fact, so bad that even with limited understanding of rotation, Melo may be an upgrade simply because he's an athletic seven footer who takes charges and blocks shots.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree then.  Because from everything I have seen, Wilcox has been a pretty average 8th or 9th man, while Melo has been a non-roster quality NBA player, whose only value is in his future potential. 

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

You're being quite liberal with what "recently" means. He's been great in the last 3 games at the very least.

He plays his role quite well, and makes quite good on his opportunities, 70%+ FG I won't cry too much about it on his limited opportunities.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
You're being quite liberal with what "recently" means. He's been great in the last 3 games at the very least.

He plays his role quite well, and makes quite good on his opportunities, 70%+ FG I won't cry too much about it on his limited opportunities.
I don't know, all I see is consistenly late rotations, getting pushed around on defense, and no rebounding to speak of. And this _is_ in the last three games. 10 rebounds and 9 fouls for that stretch is just bad (for what it's worth, it's been like that all season: 43 and 41, respectively).

I am particularly unimpressed by the shooting percentage. The guy takes 2 and a half shots per game, on average, and the overwhelming majority of these are wide open dunks.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't know, all I see is consistenly late rotations, getting pushed around on defense, and no rebounding to speak of. And this _is_ in the last three games. 10 rebounds and 9 fouls for that stretch is just bad (for what it's worth, it's been like that all season: 43 and 41, respectively).

I am particularly unimpressed by the shooting percentage. The guy takes 2 and a half shots per game, on average, and the overwhelming majority of these are wide open dunks.

I'm just saying that he's been great in the role he plays. I certainly see he needs to improve his rotations, but I haven't seen them being as egrogious as you do. I'll pay a little more attention.

But again, he has quite the limited role, he's not hurting you on offense, and I don't think he's hurting you that much on defense either, though certainly could be better.

If anything, I'd like to see him rebound better, but I think calling him playing poorly is quite the stretch. For that matter, I think he fits really well when he's playing with our starters. His problems are more noticeable when you have also Sully/Bass on the floor since they all have their defensive problems.

Of all the bigs sans Garnett, he's been the most consistent for us on both sides of the floor, but he doesn't bring much, he just fits and enables us to have something that resembles a competent rotation among our bigs.