Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417463 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1890 on: May 21, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I have a feeling George R R Martin told them

"Dany goes mad queen and burns down King's Landing.  Jon kills Dany. Jon ends up North of the Wall.   Bran ends up King"... and then they proceeded to fill in the blanks horribly.

On some level, I feel for them.  Obviously George R R Martin can't even figure out how to get to that end point.  But man, they blew it.

Bran:  Not fulfilling, because they never found the character interesting.  Flat out avoided him for a whole season.  Dipped their toes in the 3 Eyed Raven thing, but ultimately skated around it, because the fantasy element of the show always perplexed them.   They spent the last couple seasons just having him sit there acting like a weirdo consistently saying how he's "not a man" anymore - only to turn around go "hehe, just kidding guys I always knew I'd be King" - which is doubly upsetting because it means he sat by doing nothing while thousands died because like everyone else he had a boner for the Iron Throne.

Jon:  The entire story is about him.  He's the core arc of this entire endeavor.  I've been saying this all along.  He can choose to turn down the Throne in favor of living North of the Wall, but that needs to be communicated by him.  Leaving his fate to some randos who weirdly ignore what they know about his heritage was completely illogical.  That above all things leaves the biggest empty feeling about this conclusion.  It doesn't feel complete.

Dany:  I care less about this, because she's always been a mass-murdering nutjob to me, but I get how fans would be upset.  From what I understand, in the books she's a bit more of a looneytoon from the beginning... breast feeding her dragons and having weird hallucinations and things like that.  So really, my guess is the writers just never fully understood this character, leaned into her savior persona, and then scrambled to reverse course too late.
From what you understand?  You haven't read the books?  The entire story isn't about Jon.  He's never been out of the North in the books and has had nothing to do with the fight for the Iron Throne.  Dany's portrayal and story in the books was pretty much the same as the 1st 5 seasons.  Your take on Dany is completely off the wall and ignores all the good she did in the East.   
She did good, by being ruthless and doing things that many wouldn't do.  I've had this same discussion with you in this thread earlier this year.  Dany was always destined to be the Mad Queen.  The show did a terrible job setting it up and pushing her over the top, but she has always had an infinity for making "bad" men pay and if some "good" men get hurt in the process she has never cared.  She has taken great pleasure in seeing those "bad" men suffer.  She has always been so focused on her one task that it consumes her and drives her crazy. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1891 on: May 21, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ok I'm gonna embarrass myself a little but I was bored and bounced around some of the early pages of the thread and:

I haven't read the books so no spoilers here just guesses...  but I think Arya is going to become a badass warrior some day.  Jaqen, the faceless man from Braavos, was probably my favorite character on the show.  He gave Arya an open invitation to come to Braavos, but she decided to find her brother and mother instead.  Now that that ship has sailed, I'm going to guess she gets her butt to Braavos for some badass training.  During her conversation with the Hound she talked about the faceless man. When she told the Hound that someday she'd stab him through the eye out the back of his head... I believe her. 

Holy Clegane Bowl foreshadowing in Season 3!  :o :o

...or Season 3 callback in Clegane Bowl. But the first one's more fun.

« Reply #1892 on: May 21, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

"Dany goes mad queen and burns down King's Landing.  Jon kills Dany. Jon ends up North of the Wall.   Bran ends up King"... and then they proceeded to fill in the blanks horribly.

On some level, I feel for them.  Obviously George R R Martin can't even figure out how to get to that end point.  But man, they blew it.

Bran:  Not fulfilling, because they never found the character interesting.  Flat out avoided him for a whole season.  Dipped their toes in the 3 Eyed Raven thing, but ultimately skated around it, because the fantasy element of the show always perplexed them.   They spent the last couple seasons just having him sit there acting like a weirdo consistently saying how he's "not a man" anymore - only to turn around go "hehe, just kidding guys I always knew I'd be King" - which is doubly upsetting because it means he sat by doing nothing while thousands died because like everyone else he had a boner for the Iron Throne.

Jon:  The entire story is about him.  He's the core arc of this entire endeavor.  I've been saying this all along.  He can choose to turn down the Throne in favor of living North of the Wall, but that needs to be communicated by him.  Leaving his fate to some randos who weirdly ignore what they know about his heritage was completely illogical.  That above all things leaves the biggest empty feeling about this conclusion.  It doesn't feel complete.

Dany:  I care less about this, because she's always been a mass-murdering nutjob to me, but I get how fans would be upset.  From what I understand, in the books she's a bit more of a looneytoon from the beginning... breast feeding her dragons and having weird hallucinations and things like that.  So really, my guess is the writers just never fully understood this character, leaned into her savior persona, and then scrambled to reverse course too late.
From what you understand?  You haven't read the books?  The entire story isn't about Jon.  He's never been out of the North in the books and has had nothing to do with the fight for the Iron Throne.  Dany's portrayal and story in the books was pretty much the same as the 1st 5 seasons.  Your take on Dany is completely off the wall and ignores all the good she did in the East.   
She did good, by being ruthless and doing things that many wouldn't do.  I've had this same discussion with you in this thread earlier this year.  Dany was always destined to be the Mad Queen.  The show did a terrible job setting it up and pushing her over the top, but she has always had an infinity for making "bad" men pay and if some "good" men get hurt in the process she has never cared.  She has taken great pleasure in seeing those "bad" men suffer.  She has always been so focused on her one task that it consumes her and drives her crazy.

What examples can you give that she never cared if good people got hurt in the process of punishing bad men? I'm racking my brain to remember any incident where she displayed such cruel indifference to the innocent.  Not until she burned KL.

« Reply #1893 on: May 21, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I've come somewhat to grips with Bran becoming King - because, when you think about it, he really isn't. IMO he is more a figurehead than anything.

The first thing he does as king is to leave on some quest to find Drogon, leaving Tyrion to actually get things done in his absence. Tyrion effectively has the real day-to-day power. He would never have been accepted as King due to his being a dwarf and a Lannister. Bran is probably viewed as more neutral.

Call it a marriage of convenience.

Still can't wrap my head around Grey worm and the Dothraki leaving peacefully after Dany's death. That just makes no sense. Those guys aren't the type to let something like that slide. I think they probably would have sacked the whole seven kingdoms before letting her death go unpunished.

« Reply #1894 on: May 21, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've come somewhat to grips with Bran becoming King - because, when you think about it, he really isn't. IMO he is more a figurehead than anything.

The first thing he does as king is to leave on some quest to find Drogon, leaving Tyrion to actually get things done in his absence. Tyrion effectively has the real day-to-day power. He would never have been accepted as King due to his being a dwarf and a Lannister. Bran is probably viewed as more neutral.

Still can't wrap my head around Grey worm and the Dothraki leaving peacefully after Dany's death. That just makes no sense. Those guys aren't the type to let something like that slide. I think they probably would have sacked the whole seven kingdoms before letting her death go unpunished.
The King, whatever King, tended to not govern and gave the day to day running of the kingdom to the Hand. It was no different than Tywin Lannister running Westeros as the Hand to the Mad King, or Tyrion for Joffrey or Ned for Robert. Brandon decided to go into another room or more likely, the Wierwood and was going to warg and find Dragon. It wasn't like he was going to jump on a ship and leave Westeros while Tyrion ruled.

« Reply #1895 on: May 21, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! No effin way Torgo Nudho OR the Dothraki just sail away after Dany gets killed murdered. EVERYONE would have died that day.

« Reply #1896 on: May 21, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I also still have no idea why anyone even knew Dany was dead.  I mean her body was flown off by Drogon and they didn't show anyone else in the throne room the entire time.  Now it is certainly possible someone was there or Jon admitted to killing her, but you have to show something like that.  And again if he wasn't going to rule, he should have just hopped on the dragons back and left with him.

« Reply #1897 on: May 21, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One thing I saw somebody mention on Twitter today, but that hasn't come up in all the reaction articles to the finale --

Doesn't the Three Eyed Raven live for like, thousands of years?

So is Bran going to be king for ages and ages?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1898 on: May 21, 2019, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I also still have no idea why anyone even knew Dany was dead.  I mean her body was flown off by Drogon and they didn't show anyone else in the throne room the entire time.  Now it is certainly possible someone was there or Jon admitted to killing her, but you have to show something like that.  And again if he wasn't going to rule, he should have just hopped on the dragons back and left with him.
And you know why they didn't show that part? Because it makes no sense that Grey Worm wouldn't kill Jon on the spot. Cutaways are dumb and dumber's way of avoiding having to do any work.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #1899 on: May 21, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! No effin way Torgo Nudho OR the Dothraki just sail away after Dany gets killed murdered. EVERYONE would have died that day.

Maybe more interestingly, it would be very much in character for the Dothraki to now consider Jon their Khal and follow him. The Unsullied, not so much. Could've been a cool standoff situation or something but welp, TIME SKIP!

The first thing he does as king is to leave on some quest to find Drogon, leaving Tyrion to actually get things done in his absence.

I never read that as him physically leaving, I think he's finding him the same way he found Viserion in the Battle of Winterfell - using his psychic bird magic.

I also still have no idea why anyone even knew Dany was dead.  I mean her body was flown off by Drogon and they didn't show anyone else in the throne room the entire time. 

There was a woman-sized patch of bloody ashes on the ground and people could probably see Drogon fly off holding her. He should've tried to blame it on the dragon spearing her though lol.

« Reply #1900 on: May 21, 2019, 03:09:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

What examples can you give that she never cared if good people got hurt in the process of punishing bad men? I'm racking my brain to remember any incident where she displayed such cruel indifference to the innocent.  Not until she burned KL.
Meereen was sacked after they stormed the gates.  Caused a lot of damage and harm and deaths.  She also tortured and killed everyone who she perceived was involved in the slaving, even those that were fighting against the system.  She killed anyone that didn't bend the knee and show her loyalty (the Tarley's are obviously the most obvious example, but are far from the only ones).  She had no problem with torture and in fact took great pleasure in it.  And frankly just burning people alive is so cruel and inhumane.  And don't get me wrong her brother was a bad guy, but she took great pleasure in watching him burn from his crown of gold as far back as season 1.  She has demanded undying loyalty from everyone and if you don't provide it she has you killed.  That has been her way from the beginning of the series.  The drive, the focus, on one task, the belief that she is the one to save humanity from itself and stopping at nothing to achieve that goal.  Everything she has done has been so singularly focused that nothing else really mattered to her. 

« Reply #1901 on: May 21, 2019, 03:49:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
As many have already said by now, this made ZERO sense to me.

Really? I don't even think the Dorthraki were shown again after Dany's speech. And wait, you mean to tell me she still had THAT many Dorthraki + Unsullied left even after the Battle at Winterfell + Kings Landing??

Grey Worm and the Unsullied executed some of the army who already surrendered at Kings Landing, but they allow for Tyrion and Jon to have a trial? Lol.

Four other things:

1. Lol, if Cersei and Jaime stood maybe 10 feet away from where they were (or moved there), they're probably still alive. The scene when Tyrion saw their bodies made it look like that was the only place where the room collapsed while the rest had no real damage. But again, we saw the entire room collapse in the previous episode, so inconsistent writing there too.

2. When Grey Worm and everyone else sailed away likely to never return again, couldn't they have just kept Jon with them and "forgiven him" LOL.  :P

3. So... honestly, what was the point of knowing Jon was a Targaryen? I feel like if he was just Jon Snow this whole time, it wouldn't have made a difference with how most of the show went. I guess being a Targaryen stopped him from getting burned by Drogon? That's all I can think of.

4. Bronn to me was the real winner of GOT. Did nothing this season, wasn't even a part of the battle of the dead, but came away with Highgarden and became the Master of Coin  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1902 on: May 21, 2019, 05:03:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
One thing I saw somebody mention on Twitter today, but that hasn't come up in all the reaction articles to the finale --

i thought the wiki said the previous one was like 110 and he was plugged into a tree

« Reply #1903 on: May 21, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

i thought the wiki said the previous one was like 110 and he was plugged into a tree

Bran calls out to his future father in desperation – to his shock, Ned seems to hear him, but dismisses it and continues into the Tower. The Three-Eyed Raven pulls Bran out of the vision, and reprimands him again for trying to interact with the past. The Three-Eyed Raven says he's waited a thousand years for Bran, as the weirwood roots have grown into him. He assures Bran that he [Bran] is not destined to share his fate, but warns that he must learn before he leaves. When Bran demands to know what it is he needs to learn, the Three-Eyed Raven declares, "everything".[11]
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1904 on: May 21, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485

The King, whatever King, tended to not govern and gave the day to day running of the kingdom to the Hand. It was no different than Tywin Lannister running Westeros as the Hand to the Mad King, or Tyrion for Joffrey or Ned for Robert. Brandon decided to go into another room or more likely, the Wierwood and was going to warg and find Dragon. It wasn't like he was going to jump on a ship and leave Westeros while Tyrion ruled.

I hear what you're saying, but I think in this instance Bran PLANNED for Tyrion to run things. He wasn't coerced into it. He wasn't desperate or weak. He just KNEW Tyrion was the man, but also a man who wouldn't get respect without royal backing.

So Bran gets to pursue his mystical quests while Tyrion is the real ruler. Not to say Bran is deferring completely. But when he says "I came here to be king," I think he means he came to guide the rest into helping themselves. Sort of a prelude to the fledgling democracy Sam espoused. And Tyrion to him is the man who can help accomplish that vision. i have a feeling Bran would continue to offer advice and wisdom, but he is more a source of information and guidance than he is a direct ruler. By his own comments earlier in the series, he is not a king and not even human. i see him as more of a guiding energy at this point. His title as king stabilizes the situation politically, as he is essentially neutral due to not being human anymore.

But IMO he recognizes Tyrion should be King, and has given him most of those powers because others would not.