Around the League > The Draft

2024 Draft

(1/8) > >>

CFAN38:
Between coaching my daughters teams and watching a lot more women's b-ball (the Clark effect) this past season was the least amount of men's college b-ball I have watched in the past 20years. This has damped my normal NBA draft enthusiasm but I have been going back cherry picking games and players looking for some sleepers / guys I would like to see the Celtics pick. I have also started looking into the lottery projected guys.

First off the lottery is scary and this may be an historically bad top 5. The lottery has some real talent but much like the 2013 draft this draft is lacking in clear top tier (star ceiling talent). This may create an situation where teams have to lean more towards roster fit as the talent at the top will not be transcendent enough to over come poor roster fit.

Looking at Tankathons top 5 as of 4/15 my initial gutter reactions are...

Alex Sarr, scares me as a "trendy pick" Chet and Wemby have made super tall, skinny and super long the it thing. Years ago we saw the run on euro 7's who could in theory shoot and this lead to some major busts while teams searched for the next Dirk.

Zach Risacher, I havent watched much of him but my initial reaction is role player and not a franchise corner stone type piece.

Nikola Topic, he is probably my favorite in the projected top 5. I'm hoping going to try to dive more into his game but he looks to be an interesting. He has great point guard size at 6'6 with a 7'ws and has been productive over seas.

Donovan Clingan, he will be a long term productive starting center. I am going to find some time and research whats the highest a projected defensive anchor type center has gone in the draft. Poeltlt went #9 in 2016. The lottery will dictate if a team in the top 5 values and needs a defensive anchor enough to draft him top 5.

Reed Sheppard, there is a lot to like about Sheppard but I just cant get past the fact that the measurement I have found for him has him at 6'2 in shoes 187lbs with a 6'3 wing span. For comparison Pritchard was 6'2 in shoes 201lbs with a 6'4 wing span at the combine. If he had more length he would the early favorite for my #1 guy but at that size I have concerns with him as a high lottery pick.

As for later in the draft guys who I like for the Celtics

Harrison Ingram, played on ball for Stanford and now plays off ball for UNC. Great positional size and feel for the game. Is improving as a shooter. Could be a nice plug in role player

Adem Bona, athletic defensive center who is raw on offense and fouls to much but could be an elite switching 5. He is not Bam but may be able to defend on the perimeter at that level.     

W8ting2McHale:
I’m wondering if this thread will get buried because everyone thinks it’s last year’s draft and not 2024?

I admittedly didn’t pay much attention to NCAA basketball this year either. I watched some early season games and then the Sweet Sixteen, with not much in between. What I saw was mostly disappointing.

I have seen Donovan Clingan rated higher since the tournament. Some are projecting him as a Top Two prospect. I like him a lot more than Edey, but place him somewhere between a Poeltl and a Plumlee. I think he’s better suited to the NBA, but he’s a role player big, not a star.

Agreed that the top talent is lacking. Clingan would go 10-15 in a normal draft.

Jamal Shead was one of the better players I saw, but he’s undersized at 6’1” and 195.

Donoghus:
Year updated.

CFAN38:

--- Quote from: Donoghus on April 15, 2024, 12:02:08 PM ---Year updated.

--- End quote ---

thanks for the update

Donoghus:

--- Quote from: CFAN38 on April 15, 2024, 12:40:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: Donoghus on April 15, 2024, 12:02:08 PM ---Year updated.

--- End quote ---

thanks for the update

--- End quote ---

No sweat. I get it. I still think the 90s were a decade ago.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version