Author Topic: Celtics need to go to Tatum more late in games  (Read 6839 times)

Re: Celtics need to go to Tatum more late in games
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
And for the record I don't expect that of Jaylen Brown either. Neither are ready for that responsibility yet, or quite frankly good enough to be relied upon.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
How about work the ball to the open man?

Thank you.

Jaylen Brown says hi...- game 1...two open 3 misses

Yeah, that proves your point right there.  No way that could ever have a different outcome.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We have zero evidence either way to suggest that Tatum is a closer, or that he's anywhere near that level of ready.

Did you watch the ACC tourney last season?

He was the man

During SL...the game winner...who hit that shot?

When was the last time Brown hit a shot like this /sl/pre season/regular games?

The ACC aourney and summer league are nowhere near the competiton level of the NBA. There's a difference between having that clutch mentality, which i think he probably has, and being able to shoulder that burden as a nineteen year old. If you are expecting him to close games for us on a regular basis this year you are gonna be disappointed. Three years from now he'll probably be draining paul pierce esque fade aways at the buzzer. For now thats KI's job.

You are not understanding with Hayward out and nobody else but KI to take crucial shots...opposing teams will be zeroed in on him...for example vs Bucks

Celts passed the ball around to everyone except to Tatum it felt like. Smart and Brown either seemed hesitant to take it to rhe basketbor make a tough jump shot. Kept passing it to KI.  With middle lane clogged KI had nowhere to go

Now if there is at least one other player that teams 'fear' ...it will open up the lane more for KI

This is why Im saying Tatum while young is the best option

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We have zero evidence either way to suggest that Tatum is a closer, or that he's anywhere near that level of ready.

He was the man

Clearly we should be going to Rozier instead. After all, he hit not one, but TWO game winning 3s in summer league games

And maybe bring back back RJ Hunter to close games? That game winner in college proves that he'd be great at closing games in the NBA (if he just got the chance!)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

He was the man

The ACC aourney and summer league are nowhere near the competiton level of the NBA. There's a difference between having that clutch mentality, which i think he probably has, and being able to shoulder that burden as a nineteen year old. If you are expecting him to close games for us on a regular basis this year you are gonna be disappointed. Three years from now he'll probably be draining paul pierce esque fade aways at the buzzer. For now thats KI's job.

You are not understanding with Hayward out and nobody else but KI to take crucial shots...opposing teams will be zeroed in on him...for example vs Bucks

Celts passed the ball around to everyone except to Tatum it felt like. Smart and Brown either seemed hesitant to take it to rhe basketbor make a tough jump shot. Kept passing it to KI.  With middle lane clogged KI had nowhere to go

Now if there is at least one other player that teams 'fear' ...it will open up the lane more for KI

I get that, I just think in the absence of Hayward we are gonna have to do it by committe. If Tatum is open, he gets the shot. If it's Brown, then Brown does. Or Rozier. Or Smart. Asking Tatum to be that guy right now is just too much. I mean when was the last time a rookie on a wining team was the closing guy? Even Lebron, one of the top 5 best NBA players of all time, took some time to learn how to close.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'm on board with this theory. 2 man game with him and kyrie.

but I will say I am one of those that was/is behind the kyrie deal, I will be the first to say kyrie also just flat-out needs to be better. this is what he wanted - he needs to be the man... begins and ends with him.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He was the man

I get that, I just think in the absence of Hayward we are gonna have to do it by committe. If Tatum is open, he gets the shot. If it's Brown, then Brown does. Or Rozier. Or Smart. Asking Tatum to be that guy right now is just too much. I mean when was the last time a rookie on a wining team was the closing guy? Even Lebron, one of the top 5 best NBA players of all time, took some time to learn how to close.

Lebron aint no closer...he plays bully ball

jk ...but he can be stopped , especially if you force him to shoot the ball

TAtum has potential to be a dangerous closer  bc like Pierce he can get his shot off anywhere from the court

It is true he is young.... but he is already starting right.   I hope his will accelerate his development. But team needs to start winning

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Well on this much we agree, Tatum has the potential. Hopefully it comes sooner than later.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
OP may actually be right.  Yet another game without a 4th quarter closer on the team.  Thankfully Rozier and Jaylen have provided solid guard play.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Wish Tatum took more shots. Playing too passive.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
OP may actually be right.  Yet another game without a 4th quarter closer on the team.  Thankfully Rozier and Jaylen have provided solid guard play.

yes Jaylen was so clutch in the 4th

he has to work on his accuracy...

He needs to go back to how he was playing last season.  Just perfect being a spot up shooter or straight line (opportunity).   Once he gets this pact, then venture off and try something else slowly

right now he playing out of control on the offensive end.  If you can't make the floater then don't try.  if you can't stop and pop. keep working at it at the gym.    go back to the basics

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
You guys are over the top sometimes.  It's been 3 games and he's a rookie.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 03:38:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
No, teams do not need to go to a 19 yr old rookie more late in games. Rookies never get handed that role. If they are good enough or confident enough they seize that role, rather than wait for it to be handed to them.  See Kobe Bryant as an example of a rookie that took on the leadership mantle

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 04:18:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
No, teams do not need to go to a 19 yr old rookie more late in games. Rookies never get handed that role. If they are good enough or confident enough they seize that role, rather than wait for it to be handed to them.  See Kobe Bryant as an example of a rookie that took on the leadership mantle
Kobe Bryant averaged 7 points in his rookie season. Dude was clearly not a leader when he was a rookie. MJ is a much better example and imo the best is Wilt. Also up till now Tatum is in line with Bird's rookie season, so anything is possible (ofc the bit worse but stats are similar).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 04:41:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

yes Jaylen was so clutch in the 4th

he has to work on his accuracy...

He needs to go back to how he was playing last season.  Just perfect being a spot up shooter or straight line (opportunity).   Once he gets this pact, then venture off and try something else slowly

right now he playing out of control on the offensive end.  If you can't make the floater then don't try.  if you can't stop and pop. keep working at it at the gym.    go back to the basics
Jaylen scored 25 and 18 in his first 2 games against LeBron and Giannis, I'd probably take him over Tatum in scoring rn.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA