Poll

Will humans be living on Earth in the year 3013?

Yes
19 (70.4%)
No
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Will humans be living on Earth in the year 3013?  (Read 11519 times)

Re: Will humans be living on Earth in the year 3013?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm curious as for your thoughts. A thousand years is quite some time, and with our current tech boom, new things seem to be coming very quickly. I'm pretty young, but I know that the world has changed a lot in just the past ten years. Do you guys think humans will still be living on Earth in 1000 years? A lot of things could go wrong in this period, but if I live to 120, then humanity is 10% there! (age not disclosed)

-Will some scientific experiment go wrong and screw us all over? (resurrect dinosaurs, start some uncurable disease, make a robot that we can't stop, etc.)

-Will extraterrestials screw with our planet? (we provoke some planet with aliens into war, some disease gets carried over from some planet to Earth, aliens come over and kill us all, etc.)

-Will war end us all? (world war between EU, USA, China, Russia, nuclear bombs, just total war everywhere, etc.)

-Will governments be crazy? (dictatorships everywhere? communism everywhere? same as it is currently?

-Colonize other places (we all move away from Earth)

-Global warming, climate change, pollution, etc. make Earth uninhabitable

-An asteroid hits Earth and makes Earth uninhabitable

Anyone else think asteroid might be the most likely out of all of those scenarios?

Take a look at this nice pic:

Humans can't even detect over 90% of the asteroids surrounding Earth, which can be scary in a certain way. See, an asteroid that has the potential to destroy Earth can float into Earth without humans even detecting it, until it's waaaaaaaay too late. We're pretty lucky, but the chances of one of these hitting in the next 1000 years is still pretty slim.

But it's possible.

Waaaaaaaay too late for what? Ducking? Hiding? Going over the limit on your credit cards?

Too late for humans to launch an anti-asteroid satellite...? Wasn't that implied?

Those things never work. Don't you watch the movies?

Btw, a missile or a rocket would probably be more effective than a satellite in your scenario, but hopefully they could get some kind of laser system or the like up and running, that would take a lot of "a"s out of "waaaaaaaay too late".

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Close your eyes and imagine how many NBA Championships the C's will have by 3013...  ;D!

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'm curious as for your thoughts. A thousand years is quite some time, and with our current tech boom, new things seem to be coming very quickly. I'm pretty young, but I know that the world has changed a lot in just the past ten years. Do you guys think humans will still be living on Earth in 1000 years? A lot of things could go wrong in this period, but if I live to 120, then humanity is 10% there! (age not disclosed)

-Will some scientific experiment go wrong and screw us all over? (resurrect dinosaurs, start some uncurable disease, make a robot that we can't stop, etc.)

-Will extraterrestials screw with our planet? (we provoke some planet with aliens into war, some disease gets carried over from some planet to Earth, aliens come over and kill us all, etc.)

-Will war end us all? (world war between EU, USA, China, Russia, nuclear bombs, just total war everywhere, etc.)

-Will governments be crazy? (dictatorships everywhere? communism everywhere? same as it is currently?

Anyone else think asteroid might be the most likely out of all of those scenarios?

Humans can't even detect over 90% of the asteroids surrounding Earth, which can be scary in a certain way. See, an asteroid that has the potential to destroy Earth can float into Earth without humans even detecting it, until it's waaaaaaaay too late. We're pretty lucky, but the chances of one of these hitting in the next 1000 years is still pretty slim.

But it's possible.

Waaaaaaaay too late for what? Ducking? Hiding? Going over the limit on your credit cards?

Too late for humans to launch an anti-asteroid satellite...? Wasn't that implied?

Btw, a missile or a rocket would probably be more effective than a satellite in your scenario, but hopefully they could get some kind of laser system or the like up and running, that would take a lot of "a"s out of "waaaaaaaay too late".

You can't launch a missile or rocket without a satellite in space...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
None of us will be around to care unless a major medical breakthrough...

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

But it's possible.

...which begs the question, how did the first satellite end up in space?

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

But it's possible.

You do know the moon is a satellite... right? I don't see what we're getting at...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1000 years is long for individuals, but is it long time for the human race?  Not really if you go by the 2.5 million year that they say we have been around.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

But it's possible.

You do know the moon is a satellite... right? I don't see what we're getting at...

I was just curious about why you can't launch a rocket or missile without a satellite in space, although I can see how having the moon could be helpful in that regard in case it's dark at night.

This has been quite a thread so far. I've learned that extinction level asteroids don't come around very often and that the moon's a satellite. Maybe if I stick around I'll learn other little-known facts like most of the earth being covered by water or that man and dinosaurs lived on the earth at the same time.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
None of us will be around to care unless a major medical breakthrough...

Kind of reminds me of an old joke. An astronomer gives a lecture at a local library mentions that the end of the earth might come when the sun, at the end of its life, expands and destroys the planet. A very concerned woman questioned him about it after the lecture and he ended his answer with "luckily we don't have to worry about that for about 5 billion years". "Whew!" said the woman, "I thought you said 5 MILLION years".

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Here's to hoping humans have mastered living in outer space by then.

Seriously.

We already have such a huge population problem.  Things keep growing, people living longer... something has got to give.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I was just curious about why you can't launch a rocket or missile without a satellite in space, although I can see how having the moon could be helpful in that regard in case it's dark at night.

You can launch a missile/rocket into space without a satellite, you just can't aim it. 

In answer to the OP, there are lots of ways we could screw civilization up pretty badly over the next 1000 years, but the entire species being extinct/gone is pretty unlikely, and would probably take something out of our control to accomplish, like an ELE or attack by a more advanced species. 

But the most likely scenario is enslavement by our own creations.  Let me just refer you to some selected pieces from my Matrix fanfiction... *pulls out six inch stack of notebooks*

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Zombie Apocalypse

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591

-The world ends on 12/31/3012 just because of this post (with my type of luck, probably gonna happen...)

Cubs win world series.

-Nothing happens at all and we go into the "dark ages" for another 1000 years

OK, maybe I'm getting a little uncreative. What do you guys think? I think there's a 80-20 chance we make it to 3013, but eventually war and climate change will get to us and we'll either have to make drastic changes or we'll perish, or we'll go somewhere else.

Let's make this thread awesome!

(PS: I'm a cynic and I dunno if we make it that far ;D Honestly, I think somebody/some group is gonna mess with the world and reduce the population drastically such that the human population in 3013 is less than that of 2013... it's scary if you think about it; technology is changing too fast for us)

Now your list is complete.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Zombie Apocalypse

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.