Author Topic: Overreactions after one game  (Read 7169 times)

Re: Overreactions after one game
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2023, 03:03:50 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
The truth is we won't see what we've got in Pritchard, Hauser, Brissett, Stevens until 1-2 of the top 6 get hurt. Right now, the top 6 is averaging what, 105 points per game? And Holiday and Horford are probably going to bump a couple higher. So somewhere in the 105-110 points a game range. We don't need anyone on the bench to average more than a couple layups a game. We need the bench to provide energy, rebounding, defense, and enough of an offensive threat that you can't completely ignore them. Brissett is fitting the bill the most, I think, but the others are fine.

The spec right now is not to score. That'll change at some point in the season, and we'll see what happens. It's hard to judge right now because the average points scored this season so far leaguewide is 111. So we'd beat the average team if the non-top 6 chips in 6 points.

I'll admit I was disappointed with how they played against the Wizards scrubs but I'll reserve judgment until that spec changes. Hopefully it's a non-factor in the playoffs when none of them are playing anyways.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2023, 03:15:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like Brissett's energy, and even prefer him to Kornet as the only Center on the court, but he is much worse offensively than I ever imagined. Hopefully he settles in at some point. Derrick White (not that he is anywhere near White) wasn't able to shoot until his 2nd season with us. And he had a history of being a good offensive player before we traded for him. I'd love to see Queta get some consistent minutes once he 's ready to go.

I do think the wildcards are Lamar Stevens and Svi. I have no idea why Stevens hasn't been given more of a chance. He actually had a legit role on a top 4 team in the East last year and even started 25 games. He has a solid mid-range, is active defensively, and looked solid in preseason. Svi is probably the best shooter on our team. His defense sucks, but he seems like the kind of guy you can plug in if you need a spark.

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2023, 03:28:40 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I like Brissett's energy, and even prefer him to Kornet as the only Center on the court, but he is much worse offensively than I ever imagined. Hopefully he settles in at some point. Derrick White (not that he is anywhere near White) wasn't able to shoot until his 2nd season with us. And he had a history of being a good offensive player before we traded for him. I'd love to see Queta get some consistent minutes once he 's ready to go.

I do think the wildcards are Lamar Stevens and Svi. I have no idea why Stevens hasn't been given more of a chance. He actually had a legit role on a top 4 team in the East last year and even started 25 games. He has a solid mid-range, is active defensively, and looked solid in preseason. Svi is probably the best shooter on our team. His defense sucks, but he seems like the kind of guy you can plug in if you need a spark.

Stevens hasn’t been given more of a chance because Hauser probably knows a lot more of the system, having been here a couple years.  Even Brissett got offseason time to pick things up — Stevens came in right before camp.  He’ll certainly get time as the year progresses, but right now he’s playing catchup.

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2023, 03:34:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Stevens hasn’t been given more of a chance because Hauser probably knows a lot more of the system, having been here a couple years.  Even Brissett got offseason time to pick things up — Stevens came in right before camp.  He’ll certainly get time as the year progresses, but right now he’s playing catchup.
Stevens isn't any good. He is a 12th man type player if that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2023, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Stevens isn't any good. He is a 12th man type player if that.

Certainly possible, as he was a free agent who got a camp invite, but all the same he’ll get an opportunity at some point unless we have a record run a of health.

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2023, 03:55:16 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
3 games in and Luke Kornet couldn't play dead in a horror movie. The guy is awful and needs to be cut.

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
3 games in and Luke Kornet couldn't play dead in a horror movie. The guy is awful and needs to be cut.

Kornet is playing fine for a 5th big. The issue is that we need someone ahead of him to move him to the 5th big role, not that he needs to be cut. That would mean we'd have to play someone even worse.

Go and get someone, Brad, this might be our last chance to use a TPE
I'm bitter.

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2023, 06:41:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Kornet is playing fine for a 5th big. The issue is that we need someone ahead of him to move him to the 5th big role, not that he needs to be cut. That would mean we'd have to play someone even worse.

Go and get someone, Brad, this might be our last chance to use a TPE

Poor Luke. He did look terrible last night - along with the rest of the bench (other than Stevens and Svi near the end). But he’s not quite as bad as many here are saying.  As end of bench, emergency 5, he’s ok. He shouldnt be first or second big off the bench.