Author Topic: Power Rank Celtics Roster 1-14  (Read 2714 times)

Re: Power Rank Celtics Roster 1-14
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
This has become too complicated for me.  When I was thinking it was simply who is the best player, how do the players rank in terms of ability, that I could address.  Now trying to judge importance and considering that one player may be more important due to depth at the position, even though the player isn't that good, I am not sure how to rank that.

I see Brown as clearly a better player than Porzingis (for example).  I rank Brown 2nd, Porzingis 3rd on the Celtics in terms of how I expect them to play in the upcoming season.  In the overall league, CBS ranked Brown #24 and Porzingis #49, about where most any player ranking would have them.  But is Porzingis somehow more important to the team?  Will he have more impact on winning (or not winning) even though Brown is a better, more talented player?  Porzingis creates far more roster balance as compared to last season but I am not sure if I see the team being better off if they lost Brown over Porzingis.

In any case, I think everyone had pretty much the same top 7, maybe not exactly the same order, but close.  We all seem to have about the same read on Pritchard and Hauser, they are somewhere in the 8-10, but Brissett and Svi are new so harder to know where to slot them.  My expectation of Brissett is that he should be in the 8-10 tier, and probably closer to 8.  I don't know how important that is, but based on his play in IND, less than that will be a disappointment in my mind.  Svi may join that tier and make it an 8-11 tier, but the expectation for him is lower, and I don't see it as very important in any case.

Kornet is another wildcard.  He played in 69 games last season, averaging almost 12 min/gm.  He doesn't produce much but also doesn't hurt the team.  He isn't that good and will be less important this season due to the addition of Porzingis.  But I have him in the bottom tier ahead of Walsh and Banton, who are both essentially prospects.

Minutes is a pretty good way to track this, at least for the lower tiers.  Is Brissett playing more minutes than Hauser?  Is Svi playing more than Walsh.  Minutes will give you a pretty good read on where the player ranks both in terms of ability and importance.

1.   Tatum
2.   Brown
3.   Porzingis
4.   White
5.   Brogdon
6.   Horford
7.   Williams
8.   Brissett (I am hopeful)
9.   Pritchard
10.  Hauser
11.  Svi
12.  Kornet
13.  Walsh
14.  Banton

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 08:47:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
8. Hauser
9. Pritchard
10. Brissett
Most everybody had these 3 guys in the 8, 9, 10 slots, one person put Walsh in this range. The key question is, who is #8? That guy is getting more minutes than #9 or #10, especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 12:40:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Kornet is another wildcard.  He played in 69 games last season, averaging almost 12 min/gm.  He doesn't produce much but also doesn't hurt the team.  He isn't that good and will be less important this season due to the addition of Porzingis.  But I have him in the bottom tier ahead of Walsh and Banton, who are both essentially prospects.
He produces a lot less when he doesn't get consistent minutes and I'm not sure where he's going to find those unless someone gets hurt. At this point he's a depth piece and nothing more. Maybe you keep him around in case they deal Rob?

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 04:07:59 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
The Lamar Stevens news probably doesn't change my rankings but lowers my conviction that there's a huge gap between Brissett and the other contenders for the #8 spot. Without Stevens, we basically had nobody to play power forward if any of our bigs get hurt. Brissett is still hugely important because he'd be next man up, but there's at least an alternative to him now that has started and played real minutes for an NBA playoff team. It's hugely important that one of them is serviceable, but either of them individually are now a bit less important.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 10:48:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Zinger is better than Brown and more important to this team. Plain and simple.