Author Topic: Juhann Begarin 🇫🇷  (Read 3672 times)

Juhann Begarin 🇫🇷
« on: October 16, 2022, 08:40:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Celtics draft stash Juhann Begarin made his season debut for Paris today in a loss to Monaco. He missed the start of the year with a shoulder injury.

Begarin scored 28 points on 10-of-16 FG, including 2-of-4 3P and 6-of-6 FT. He also had 5 rebounds, 3 steals and only 1 turnover.

Source: Keith Smith
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Juhann Begarin 🇫🇷
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 09:18:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Celtics draft stash Juhann Begarin made his season debut for Paris today in a loss to Monaco. He missed the start of the year with a shoulder injury.

Begarin scored 28 points on 10-of-16 FG, including 2-of-4 3P and 6-of-6 FT. He also had 5 rebounds, 3 steals and only 1 turnover.

Nice. There's the backup forward we've been looking for!

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 10:11:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

perhaps. but NBA retread mike james put up 27 points, 7 rebounds, and 9 assists in the same game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 10:22:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

perhaps. but NBA retread mike james put up 27 points, 7 rebounds, and 9 assists in the same game.
Is he really a retread? I thought he was the classic case of a guy who realised he can make more money for less basketball in Europe.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Is he really a retread? I thought he was the classic case of a guy who realised he can make more money for less basketball in Europe.

I don’t know James, but it looks like he was a marginal nba guy who never quite caught on. NBA-reference says James played his first NBA game at age 27, and then he played very small parts of 4 seasons - 49 games total. Most recently he had a cup of coffee with Brooklyn in ‘20-21. After the end of the ‘21 season, he signed with Monaco for under a million Euro - which was a huge deal for that league. https://basketnews.com/news-156458-monacos-star-mike-james-signed-the-biggest-contract-in-clubs-history.html

Net: the comp in this league is well below the nba and it’s one game. *But* Juhann just turned 20 in August, has much better physical tools (James is 6’1”), and still has a lot of room to grow as a player. Starring at this level would be a good start.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 03:51:54 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I watched half of the game and Begarin looked he may have passed a big step this summer. He looked explosive and his defense was very good with high pressing and ability to run to the rim -with a nice steal and dunk in the money time.
Of course it is only pro A but Monaco is a top 8 european team.

And James is a top 10 euroleague player with a great  vista and clutchitude. His body was not NBA material and ala IT he needs à number one Role in offense to be competitive.

There is not only NBA in basketball and players like James or even the dancing bear deserve some respect for what they do elsewhere.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 07:58:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have liked what I have seen from him in summer league play.  I see an NBA level athlete that has not developed the skill or touch necessary for the NBA.  I have not seen any of the Euro games and hardly any of the highlights.  But think of it this way, say he was on Duke and put up 28 points against North Carolina at 20 years old.  I think that would be viewed that he is a top college player and a player that is on track to go high in the draft.

It is really hard to gauge players in the Euro leagues, especially young ones.  They are playing against men, more physically developed men then is seen in the NCAA.  But that doesn't mean anything any more than some players have great college success but then do nothing in the NBA.  Begarin has to developed skill and touch.  I always have seen him as a guard but at 6'-5", maybe he can be a forward.

He will be 21 for next season.  That is probably when he will need to be ready for the NBA if it is going to happen.  Not absolutely the last chance for him but definitely the point where you would expect to start to see the NBA talent if it is there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:52:34 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 09:41:17 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Juhann is also only 20yrs old.  He just turned 20 in August.  This kid is definitely an NBA player.  He has the size and athleticism.  It's just working on his shot and playmaking/handles.  He could conceivably play this and next year in Europe and make his debut as a 22yr old which would be like he came out after his Junior year of college.