Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58629 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #480 on: September 23, 2022, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I get it, to protect privacy and the victims they won't say much, but I'm still confused. They're making it sound like either Ime didn't do much OR that there's a lot more involved, which if it's the latter then honestly maybe there's more of this stuff going on with the higher-ups in Boston and Ime was the ultimate scapegoat for everything. Idk

From this press conference, I'm not getting the sense that either Wyc or Brad believes that "Ime didn't do much".

Phantom what they are saying is that they can’t say much, not that they didn’t want think Ime didn’t do much. They suspended him for a year and thought it was an appropriate penalty and Wyc said Ime was appreciative of how it was handled (i.e. he was probably thankful he wasn’t fired) and he is facing a significant financial penalty so I think they feel that what Ime did (multiple violations) was pretty wrong.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense. TP

I was trying to listen to as much as possible but the clinics are also pretty busy lol and obviously I don't think they'd like if I was just listening to something the whole time  :P

TP back to ya! I hear ya, it was a 30 min presser too  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #481 on: September 23, 2022, 12:04:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This really does illustrate how poorly the NBA handled the Sarver situation. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #482 on: September 23, 2022, 12:06:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Thought Brad really handled that presser well.

Thought he handled the Joe assault past question very well.  I felt the rest was pretty typical Brad avoidance. 

Brad's use of the word "obviously" is "ridiculous."

« Reply #483 on: September 23, 2022, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I get it, to protect privacy and the victims they won't say much, but I'm still confused. They're making it sound like either Ime didn't do much OR that there's a lot more involved, which if it's the latter then honestly maybe there's more of this stuff going on with the higher-ups in Boston and Ime was the ultimate scapegoat for everything. Idk

From this press conference, I'm not getting the sense that either Wyc or Brad believes that "Ime didn't do much".

Exactly, which makes me further believe it's more than just Ime. OR Ime did something super serious but in that case, why not just fire him outright? They've also protected the victim in this entire thing which makes me think Ime is 100% in the wrong here. Otherwise if the victim is "just as guilty' why not bring her up and not just Ime.

Okay I'll stop. There's still A LOT we don't know and I won't speculate or make guesses until we find out.

Other females could or may to come forward , out of no where with who knows what stories.  They maybe waiting to see themselves what unfolds as the total picture before s’more clear.

But by the strength of the punishment,  kinda points they are thinking there is more going on .

« Reply #484 on: September 23, 2022, 12:39:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
So from the sounds of it (based on comments here) the team said little to nothing about what actually happened and there is no way for any of us to know what Ime actually did do and whether or not the punishment is justified.

It is all kept in-house. And we just have to trust that the team did the right thing in suspending (but not firing) Ime for 12 months.

« Reply #485 on: September 23, 2022, 12:45:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I have a hard time understanding what circumstance / offense is so bad that it warrants a 12 month suspension but does not warrant being fired.

I also have a hard time accepting / trusting a serious (huge) suspension of 12 months without any real details of what wrong-doing has occured. How can one trust 12 months is appropriate without any details? Why not 1 month? why not 3 months? or 6 months? or 24 months? Or being fired?

Justice behind closed doors. No transparency. This is not good enough.

Is there any suggestion that more information will be coming in the future? That clarity over wrong-doing will be given?

« Reply #486 on: September 23, 2022, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I have a hard time understanding what circumstance / offense is so bad that it warrants a 12 month suspension but does not warrant being fired.

I also have a hard time accepting / trusting a serious (huge) suspension of 12 months without any real details of what wrong-doing has occured. How can one trust 12 months is appropriate without any details? Why not 1 month? why not 3 months? or 6 months? or 24 months? Or being fired?

Is there any suggestion that more information will be coming in the future? That clarity over wrong-doing will be given?

You also had a hard time understanding why Derek White would miss a playoff game to be at the birth of his child, if I remember correctly, so I’m not surprised you’re having trouble with this one.

« Reply #487 on: September 23, 2022, 12:54:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What's wrong with justice behind closed doors, particularly if the presumptive victim doesn't want to go public?  It's a private company involved in a potential lawsuit. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #488 on: September 23, 2022, 12:54:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I'm with you on that thought, but not the next one as the 2 previous posters have said. This is not like breaking a public law. This is an internal team rule that was broken. Celtics do not owe anyone outside the team anything.

« Reply #489 on: September 23, 2022, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You also had a hard time understanding why Derek White would miss a playoff game to be at the birth of his child, if I remember correctly, so I’m not surprised you’re having trouble with this one.

Eh.  No personal attacks.  It's a legitimate question, that none of us has the answer to:  what type of conduct justifies a year suspension, but not a permanent firing?

Ultimately, we need to trust ownership, and their legal advisors, that they know what they're doing.  Ultimately, if they haven't done enough (in the eyes of the presumptive victim) there will be a lawsuit.  Perhaps details get out publicly then.  If they've done too much, the coaching union may bring action.  If all involved are okay with the resolution, then our quest for information may not be satiated, and that has to be good enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

My assumption is it is with the lawyers. Maybe they are dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s. There could be language in the contract that requires Cs to pay Udoka if he gets fired and they are exhausting all routes to get rid of him and not pay him him.

« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2022, 01:03:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

What's wrong with justice behind closed doors, particularly if the presumptive victim doesn't want to go public?  It's a private company involved in a potential lawsuit.

It is blind trust.

* Blind trust in the people making the judgement.
* Blind trust that whatever wrongdoing happened, required intervention, required punishment, required a severe punishment.
* Blind trust that the punishment fit the crime and that a 12 month suspension is appropriate. Not more, not less. 12 months.

That is a lot of trust.

« Reply #492 on: September 23, 2022, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I have to say the media pooped the bed on this situation.  Public perception is so dang quick to judge they only care about their narrative.  Hopefully Ana Horford, Stephen Arse Smith apologize for judging to quickly. This is an ugly situation and judging from the presser and how the team reacted it seems like Ime is lucky he has not been outright fired.  I wonder if the woman involved and the team have anything input on it.  Maybe they don't want him fired but to seek therapy and if he does and shows he's changed he can come back.  The only way he doesn't get fired is if the person he had an affair with does not want him fired.  Otherwise why keep him.   If they suspend him for a year and don't fire him he's entitled to his salary for the remaining years but if his contract is terminated then they can cite company policies and terminate without compensation.

« Reply #493 on: September 23, 2022, 01:04:32 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Eh.  No personal attacks.  It's a legitimate question, that none of us has the answer to:  what type of conduct justifies a year suspension, but not a permanent firing?

Ultimately, we need to trust ownership, and their legal advisors, that they know what they're doing.  Ultimately, if they haven't done enough (in the eyes of the presumptive victim) there will be a lawsuit.  Perhaps details get out publicly then.  If they've done too much, the coaching union may bring action.  If all involved are okay with the resolution, then our quest for information may not be satiated, and that has to be good enough.

Fair enough.  I remembered this post of his from yesterday, and viewed his questions now with that context:

This is ridiculous nonsense.

A consensual romantic relationship? All this noise over a consensual relationship?

You are going to severely damage the team over this!

There is no need for any of this nonsense. This is purely created by team ownership and is screwing over everyone. They are screwing over the fans, the players, the coaching staff ... Udoka and whoever he is having a romantic relationship with (oh the horror of it all).

p--- off. Play the game. Leave all this nonsense aside. Let people live their personal lives. No crime has been committed. No great offense. People are entitled to their private lives. Team ownership needs to keep their busy-bodying noses out of it.

« Reply #494 on: September 23, 2022, 01:08:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Well said.