Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58205 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2022, 01:47:51 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
According to Shams, the relationship started out as consensual and the team turned the other way... until Ime started to harrass this female employee, which forced the team to put the foot down. Yep, just fire this asswipe and be done with it.

I really hope this isn’t true.

« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2022, 01:48:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
According to Shams, the relationship started out as consensual and the team turned the other way... until Ime started to harrass this female employee, which forced the team to put the foot down. Yep, just fire this asswipe and be done with it.
Far out, that is really hard to come back from in terms of trust. I haven't seen the article/tweet/whatever from Shams, but if that's true then he's done
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #407 on: September 23, 2022, 01:50:30 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Far out, that is really hard to come back from in terms of trust. I haven't seen the article/tweet/whatever from Shams, but if that's true then he's done

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1573170868523597825?s=20&t=W2iCEMsN2qQDskj1kdWDZQ
Sadly stuck behind a paywall, which is why I didn't originally link it.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #408 on: September 23, 2022, 01:55:23 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

That provides some more context into why this is a year suspension. Here's info from the Athletics article:

The second-year coach’s punishment is a result of an intimate relationship with a female member of the organization, as The Athletic first reported Thursday morning.

Some members of the Celtics organization first became aware of the relationship in July, sources said. At that time, team leadership was led to believe by both parties that the relationship was consensual. But sources said that the woman recently accused Udoka of making unwanted comments toward her — leading the team to launch a set of internal interviews.

The team’s decision and announcement came after a closed-door meeting Thursday that involved team owners and president Brad Stevens and lasted several hours, sources said. Earlier Thursday, Stevens and members of the Celtics front office met with players at the team facility.

“I want to apologize to our players, fans, the entire Celtics organization, and my family for letting them down,” Udoka said in a statement Thursday night. “I am sorry for putting the team in this difficult situation, and I accept the team’s decision. Out of respect for everyone involved, I will have no further comment.”

https://theathletic.com/3617945/2022/09/22/celtics-ime-udoka-discipline/?source=twitterhq

Maybe started as consensual and became harrassment? Or maybe it was coercive in the first place. Who knows. So the team only acted when some evidence emerged that it wasn't fully consensual.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2022, 01:56:19 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Yeah, if this is true he’s done. It also explains why it’s taking so long for us to get all of the details. The franchise would be in bigger trouble letting it come out that they tolerated the coach harassing a female/ex-lover than everything happening right now. I’m extremely disappointed in Udoka. Hopefully he has a substance use disorder that is causing this behavior, and he will soon receive treatment that will make him well again.

Also, SAS looks like a total jackass if this is true. Why don’t these media talking heads wait until the facts are available before jumping to conclusions?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:10:59 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #410 on: September 23, 2022, 01:57:19 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1573170868523597825?s=20&t=W2iCEMsN2qQDskj1kdWDZQ

I posted the part that is relevant as I have an Athletic sub.

« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2022, 01:58:30 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

Ah, thank you. Harrassment + betraying the organization's trust = bye bye Ime. What a moron.

« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2022, 01:59:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Thanks for that. What a trainwreck!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2022, 02:02:28 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Yeah, if this is true he’s done. It also explains why it’s taking so long for us to get all of the details. The franchise would be in bigger trouble letting it come out that they tolerated the coach harassing a female/ex-lover than everything happening right now. I’m extremely disappointed in Udoka. Hopefully he has a substance use disorder that is causing this behavior.

Also, SAS looks like a total jackass if this is true. Why don’t these people wait until the facts are available before jumping to conclusions?

What still doesn't make any sense to me is why are they still retaining him but giving him the ban for one year...if it's as egregious as this article states?

They should have just fired him right from the get-go and cut the PR nightmare

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2022, 02:04:59 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

Yeah, if this is true he’s done. It also explains why it’s taking so long for us to get all of the details. The franchise would be in bigger trouble letting it come out that they tolerated the coach harassing a female/ex-lover than everything happening right now. I’m extremely disappointed in Udoka. Hopefully he has a substance use disorder that is causing this behavior.

Also, SAS looks like a total jackass if this is true. Why don’t these people wait until the facts are available before jumping to conclusions?

What still doesn't make any sense to me is why are they still retaining him but giving him the ban for one year...if it's as egregious as this article states?

They should have just fired him right from the get-go and cut the PR nightmare
I assume it's just leadership getting their ducks in a row before going forward, while also hoping Ime has an ounce of dignity and steps down.

« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2022, 02:05:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
The Celtics should just save face and say "oops sorry we made a mistake. Here, we'll shorten your suspension to 41 games instead of 82 games" and folks will just shrug and move along with their lives. Make him go through retrain and stuff, Udoka send out apology letters to the affected parties etc.

82 games though is excessive for punishment of this org violation, esp if your team just got off from an NBA Finals.
How can you say any of this without knowing what happened?

I'll retract this comment now that the Athletics' article came out regarding him harassing the staff.

Sounds like he deserves the full 82 games. Still, this dragged out more awkwardly than it needed to be. He gotta go now

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2022, 02:06:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ime won't coach this team ever again.

It's the right move for the franchise, even if it might cost the team wins.

« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2022, 02:07:47 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

Yeah, if this is true he’s done. It also explains why it’s taking so long for us to get all of the details. The franchise would be in bigger trouble letting it come out that they tolerated the coach harassing a female/ex-lover than everything happening right now. I’m extremely disappointed in Udoka. Hopefully he has a substance use disorder that is causing this behavior, and he will soon receive treatment that will make him well again.

It will be easy for him to do a 180. All about getting people to tune in

« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2022, 02:13:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

From the shams article
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2022, 02:14:26 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
So disappointed in Ime.  If it did go from consensual to harassment then he is done.  This is the kind of thing that can kill a career. 
No winners in any of this.  Hope the team can somehow pull together despite all of this. 

I am hopeful that our turnaround last year was more about our team finding themselves than the coach.  If so, we still have a exciting season to look forward to.  Just a huge stain on the team right now.