Author Topic: Dog Days Trade idea: Horford for Poeltl and Doug McDermott...  (Read 1529 times)

Dog Days Trade idea: Horford for Poeltl and Doug McDermott...
« on: September 19, 2022, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Poeltl takes Al's starting spot next to TIMELORD and Doug McDermott is the backup shooting off the bench. Al was key to last year's run but I'm not sure how much he has left. I think a couple of picks have to go the Spur's way in this trade. I like the roster balance better with this trade. I don't think something like this is coming but just throwing it out there.

Re: Dog Days Trade idea: Horford for Poeltl and Doug McDermott...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
As a similar trade in the same vein, I'd purpose Horford for Bitadze and Buddy Hield. Not as good as the first trade but might be one first rounder and a couple of future seconds.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 03:06:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Yet another version of the trade: Horford for T. Ross and Wendell Carter Jr. Orlando gets picks and opens room for Banchero. All three of these trades wok in the trade machine...

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Horford probably gives us the best chance at a title this year, so I'd tend to keep him.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a lot of Horford trades.

Horford + #1 for John Collins

Horford + #1 for Harrison Barnes + Richaun Holmes

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Horford probably gives us the best chance at a title this year, so I'd tend to keep him.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a lot of Horford trades.

Horford + #1 for John Collins

Horford + #1 for Harrison Barnes + Richaun Holmes

Horford looked pretty gassed by the finals but I guess everyone else did too. If Horford can hold up for another season it would be good but he's really long in the tooth.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 03:53:17 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Al will not be traded..he just what the team needs on and off the court
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Al will not be traded..he just what the team needs on and off the court

Al is 36. If he can have as good a year as last year I agree...

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not willing to concede that Al is going to be all that much different a player than he was last year. His minutes probably get managed better, but I think his overall effectiveness is going to be around the same.

Al's ability to be effective isn't based specifically on athleticism and the athleticism it does require, Horford has and should have for a couple more years at least.

For that reason, I'm not a huge fan of moving Al unless it's for a fairly clear upgrade, like maybe in the above proposed Horford for Barnes and Holmes deal with Sactown.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 04:54:55 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Don't like the trade.  I am not that high on Poeltl as a starter on a team like the Celtics.  And McDermott is reported to have negative value.  Poeltl had a decent year but has no ability to spread  the floor and is bad at FT (about 50% career).  Don't see him as the right guy to play alongside RWill.

I’m told the Spurs have shopped Doug McDermott this summer but they have only received lukewarm interest. Rival scouts insist that McDermott has a negative trade value due to the two years and $27.5 million he has remaining on his contract. However, the Spurs aren’t interested in attaching an asset to McDermott in order to move him. – via LJ Ellis @ SpursTalk

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 02:39:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Don't like the trade.  I am not that high on Poeltl as a starter on a team like the Celtics.  And McDermott is reported to have negative value.  Poeltl had a decent year but has no ability to spread  the floor and is bad at FT (about 50% career).  Don't see him as the right guy to play alongside RWill.

I’m told the Spurs have shopped Doug McDermott this summer but they have only received lukewarm interest. Rival scouts insist that McDermott has a negative trade value due to the two years and $27.5 million he has remaining on his contract. However, the Spurs aren’t interested in attaching an asset to McDermott in order to move him. – via LJ Ellis @ SpursTalk

TIMELORD is having surgery so Poeltl wouldn't be playing beside him...

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 11:02:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I'm not willing to concede that Al is going to be all that much different a player than he was last year. His minutes probably get managed better, but I think his overall effectiveness is going to be around the same.

Al's ability to be effective isn't based specifically on athleticism and the athleticism it does require, Horford has and should have for a couple more years at least.

For that reason, I'm not a huge fan of moving Al unless it's for a fairly clear upgrade, like maybe in the above proposed Horford for Barnes and Holmes deal with Sactown.
How are his minutes going to be managed better?  There is literally no one on the team that can play center that should play center on a championship caliber team, for at least another 2 months if not longer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2022, 11:26:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

How are his minutes going to be managed better?  There is literally no one on the team that can play center that should play center on a championship caliber team, for at least another 2 months if not longer.
Pretty sure I wrote this just before Timelord was having surgery was announced and well before it was announced he would miss 3 months.

So written thinking Timelord was fine and Brad could find some sort of replacement for Gallo.

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 08:38:09 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Yet another version of the trade: Horford for T. Ross and Wendell Carter Jr. Orlando gets picks and opens room for Banchero. All three of these trades wok in the trade machine...

Oof even as the biggest Horford fan I know I pull the trigger on this so fast.  WCJ is a match made in heaven for this team.  There's no way Orlando is moving him for this kind of value.