Author Topic: Trade Idea: Rudy Gay using TPE (short term replacement for Gallinari)  (Read 4236 times)

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Would it cost a protected first?  or two seconds?

Going forward it would be nice to have Gay, Gallo, and Al all on the team so you could give any of them a day off whenever needed. Would it put the team too far over the tax to be worth it?

Re: Trade Idea: Rudy Gay using TPE (short term replacement for Gallinari)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 10:16:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
If it is more than a heavily protected 2nd rounder than it isn't worthwhile and even then it may not be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Is he that washed?

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 10:24:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is he better than Carmelo?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Maybe I'm too biased against Carmelo but my perception of him is he is not a team player and is not at all interested in playing defense. Plus he is 2 years older.

Plus wouldnt Gay have been on the Spurs for a year or two when Ime was there?

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 11:27:30 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Always liked Rudy Gay.  Haven’t the foggiest notion about how much left in the tank. But he played close to 20mpg last season, maybe just right to go 10-15 with an occasional 20+ game filling in. He’s got a lot of wear on his tires which also means experience and knowledge.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 01:02:21 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Always been a fan of  Rudy Gay.. think he be great coming off the bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Rudy Gay has 2 years left at $6.2M and $6.5M.  He would fit the Juancho Hernangomez TPE which expires in Jan 2023.  You would think that UTA would very much like to move that contract.  We should not have to give up anything to take him on.  But Ainge probably wants a pick for him.

As to what is left in his tank, I did not seen him play all that much last season.  I don't recall him being very good.  Utah probably figures they can just wait until someone is more desperate due to injury along the way.  No need to just give him away at this point.  Can always trade him later.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Rudy Gay has 2 years left at $6.2M and $6.5M.  He would fit the Juancho Hernangomez TPE which expires in Jan 2023.  You would think that UTA would very much like to move that contract.  We should not have to give up anything to take him on.  But Ainge probably wants a pick for him.

As to what is left in his tank, I did not seen him play all that much last season.  I don't recall him being very good.  Utah probably figures they can just wait until someone is more desperate due to injury along the way.  No need to just give him away at this point.  Can always trade him later.

I'd take gay for a 2nd round pick. He no longer fits in Utah and that's probably all Danny can get for him.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I'd take gay for a 2nd round pick. He no longer fits in Utah and that's probably all Danny can get for him.

At that money given his production, he should cost a 2nd round swap at most.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He's a very good locker room guy, but Utah didn't seem impressed with his play.  They kept him completely out of the playoff rotation; he didn't play a minute.  That said, I suspect he'd be passable here.  I just can't imagine the team wanting to bring him in at the equivalent of $30 - $40 million after luxury tax, when he probably doesn't move the needle at all.

Interesting article from a Jazz fan's perspective:

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat-latest-jazz-news/2022/3/18/22985222/the-utah-jazz-need-more-from-rudy-gay-nba-2021-2022-san-antonio-spurs-playoffs-post-season

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 01:54:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

2nd round picks are for sale every year. If you can get a player that will help bring home a championship, you do it.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

He's a very good locker room guy, but Utah didn't seem impressed with his play.  They kept him completely out of the playoff rotation; he didn't play a minute.  That said, I suspect he'd be passable here.  I just can't imagine the team wanting to bring him in at the equivalent of $30 - $40 million after luxury tax, when he probably doesn't move the needle at all.

Interesting article from a Jazz fan's perspective:

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat-latest-jazz-news/2022/3/18/22985222/the-utah-jazz-need-more-from-rudy-gay-nba-2021-2022-san-antonio-spurs-playoffs-post-season

Interesting.  I checked the final season RAPTOR and WAR values from 538 and both Gay and Gallinari are remarkably neutral, almost exactly league average.  Gay actually a little better but he was on a better team (regular season anyway). 

So I guess the question is if it is worth it to pay a vet over $6M to come off the bench and be league average or neutral?  This is league average for all players, starters and bench.  I suppose it is if you don't have to give up anything (we gave up nothing other than opportunity cost with Gallinari).  If Gay and Gallinari can give you 15-20 min at big or wing and just hold their own, not lose any leads, is that good enough?

Probably, I talked myself into it.  Go get Rudy Gay.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 02:40:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

2nd round picks are for sale every year. If you can get a player that will help bring home a championship, you do it.

Sure, but Gay isn't that player.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Sure, but Gay isn't that player.

The more playable vets on our bench the better.