Author Topic: Is this a Conflicts of Interests  (Read 50834 times)

Is this a Conflicts of Interests
« on: August 18, 2022, 05:09:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
When you work in the same health facility as an employee but you are also a patient in the same health facility, could you actually get in trouble for viewing your own medical chart?

What is your definition of conflicts of interests versus HIPAA?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: Is this a Conflicts of Interests
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 07:15:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I worked part-time at Mass General as an ER registrar on weekends in my 30's and there was an entire course we had to take on HIPPA. Basically if I accessed any medical records, it would red flag me and I would be terminated. ANY medical records.

Now maybe it's different for nurses and doctors but for most employees, it's a no go, even for your own. If I am remembering correctly.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 10:25:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It is not a conflict of interest, but it does violate HIPAA and probably several other internal policies and procedures.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 01:29:59 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm an ethicist in a large community health system who is regularly in the electronic medical record system as part of my job.

It's absolutely an issue and would likely lead to immediate termination, as this is a big no-no. I think most places even explicitly state that they'll fire you if you get in you or a family member's chart. Ethically, I'm not sure whether it's a conflict of interest or just an abuse of your power and access in your professional role, but it's not good either way.

Besides, it's not needed anymore. Since the CURES Act, the vast majority of medical records and chart notes should be open access and available to the patient almost immediately. (There are certainly both pros and cons to this.)

If you just get a MyChart or whatever the health system uses, you should be able to access your medical information almost as soon as it's documented in the chart, at least for most note types.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 06:26:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Interesting.  My wife works as part of a large health network, and my understanding was that she could access her own records, but not those of family members, including our children.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 11:06:30 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I guess it varies on organizations on what their policies on "HIPAA" is then lol. But from what I've heard, as some of you have mentioned, accessing own chart as an employee could be intolerable and result in penalty. One person I spoke with mentioned that it's...not illegal but it is frowned upon.

But you def shouldn't access your family member's chart as that is def red flag.

Was just asking because I checked my Patient Portal (a portal where patients/clients can access at home) and noticed somebody tampered with something without my knowledge and also created an encounter (a visit) that I never even did lol. I wanted to use my title as an EMR analyst to pull up a log but...yeah was concerned of any COI so I prob should let one of my colleagues to handle it lol. I mean, I could get a user in trouble but I'm not one to do something like that without further investigating. But mishandling documentations and data entry on an incorrect chart is crucial and shouldn't happen esp careless ones.

Thanks for all your input! I'm opened to learning more  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 12:35:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Not the same thing but I used to work for a credit union and we weren't allowed to access our own accounts through work programs. We also weren't supposed to access accounts of family. Not sure if that was just company policy or legal.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008