Author Topic: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball  (Read 97565 times)

Re: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball
« Reply #465 on: August 07, 2021, 07:57:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

« Reply #466 on: August 07, 2021, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #467 on: August 08, 2021, 01:33:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #468 on: August 08, 2021, 01:37:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Thrilled with Australia getting the bronze medal. Been waiting for a very long time to see them on the podium.

Too young to remember losing to the US for bronze in 1988.

1996 bronze playoff was tough but Lithuania with Arvydas Sabonis just had us at arm's length for most of the game. That was the start of the disappointments for me.

2000 just weren't good enough, comprehensively beaten by Lithuania that time.

2016 robbed on a foul call against Mills. Gut wrenching.

Throw in the last FIBA World Cup where we inexcusably failed to medal again and I think I'd seen just about every type of loss imaginable for this team when playing for a medal. Feels incredible to finally win one.

Even better that Simmons wasn't there, he doesn't deserve to be part of this. Not like these 2 blokes

Having lived in Sydney 20 years ago (living in Australia in your 20s is the best time ever  :laugh:) I had a soft spot for them and wanted them to win a medal. In fact I was there during the Olympics in 2000 and saw the US v Lithuania nailbiter in the Semifinal at the Olympic site in Homebush Bay. So happy to see Patty and Joe and the rest of the team (shame Aron got injured but he was a part of it) really take it to Slovenia. I was worried about a Doncic special but Patty was determined to not let them lose. I really feel like he'd have been a great addition for us for the MLE, he plays the game with the right spirit. Hard to believe they've never won a medal till now with how many good players have come from Australia in the past but at least you got that off your back  :police:

The coolest thing about those Olympics was the fact that everything was open 24 hours - bars, clubs, restaurants, the city was packed with people all hours it was fantastic.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #469 on: August 09, 2021, 12:07:39 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
After getting a gold medal with Team U.S.A, Zach LaVine also achieved another milestone, the first four game winning streak of his professional career.

LaVine has been in the league seven years, so that’s quite incredible, even if he’s played for Timberwolves & Bulls.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine