Author Topic: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp  (Read 21593 times)

Re: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2022, 10:39:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
Back into this debate/discussion, there seem to be a few complaints or concerns with people.  The main concern is that we did not do enough to reinforce the roster, particularly in terms of bringing in a veteran SF/wing and/or center/big.  The first thing I would say is that we did address these two needs.  We brought in Brogdon and Gallinari.  Brogdon is not a wing per se but can play "big" guard and allow Brown to play forward, so indirectly address this need.  Same for Gallinari, he is much more PF but him at PF allows Horford to play Center.

We had the opportunity to use our MLE on a wing instead of a big.  Otto Porter and Joe Ingles were the only two free agents that signed in the salary range of the MLE.  So you can second guess and say that we should have signed one of these over Gallinari, but there is no way to know that either would have wanted to come to the Celtics.  I think Gallinari was a good signing.  Both big and wing were positions of need and Gallinari in my mind was great value for the MLE.

So now to address the wing position, we can offer a min contract or make a trade.  The available FA wings right now are very limited.  Jordan Nwora may be the best available but he is restricted.  Even if we made an offer, MIL probably matches and I am not sure that Nwora is much better than Hauser.  Bottom line is if we want a vet wing, we need to make a trade.  A trade is probably going to cost us White and a pick to get an established vet wing/SF.  I don't see this type of wing fitting one of our TPE slots.  Not sure that trade is out there.  You can argue that we could have used the Fournier TPE for a wing but for who?  Who is that productive wing that a team will give up for picks that isn't just a salary dump?

As for the center/big, I was actually pretty happy with the Horford, RWill, Grant, Gallinari rotation, with maybe Vonleh in the mix.  Of course now Gallinari is out for the year so this is an issue again.  There are some potential min contract FAs out there (I like Whiteside) but it is not clear that any of these actually want to sign with the Celtics.  And we could trade White and a pick or just a pick and a TPE slot.  But again, teams are not going to just trade away a useful back up center.

Bottom line for me is I would be thrilled if we signed Whiteside (13th), keep Vonleh (14th) and then one Thomas or Valentine.  Actually if we are able to sign Whiteside, we probably don't need both Vonleh and Kornet but however the last 2 or 3 spots work out is fairly immaterial.  Then along the way, we can make a trade with White if needed or otherwise to fill whatever ends up being the most pressing need.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:53:42 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2022, 06:24:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So my update perspective is Vonleh makes the team.

Starters:Smart, JB, JT, Al, TL.
Main bench:Brog, White, Grant, Vonleh.
Deep bench: PP, Hauser, Kornet
Out/IR: Gallo.
2ways: JD and Kaba.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 06:39:56 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Justin Jackson, Jake Layman and Denzel Valentine signed a fully non-guaranteed minimum contracts contract with the Boston Celtics.
– via Alberto De Roa @ HoopsHype

Jackson has been rumored; that makes it official.

Brodric Thomas is the last rumored guy that hasn't officially signed as far as I can tell.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2022, 02:34:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
Bruno Caboclo waived a couple of days ago. Apparently the C's saw him as more of a wing than a big and they're in need of a big something bad with the Rob news.

Odds on Vonleh making the roster are probably rising.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's interesting, looking at the timeline.  Here's Ime on July 12:

“Talked about another big, another possible wing,” Udoka said Tuesday. “We’re just monitoring everything we’re doing here, taking a good look at our guys. Obviously, Sam has been signed already. For us, it’s best available wing possibly. You always like to add shooting, but another big will be a premium for sure.”

At that point, the Celtics looked to be looking to actively add players to the roster.

If I'm remembering correctly, the next move we made wasn't until August 1, inviting in dumpster dive Bruno Caboclo.

I'm guessing that Ime's affair and whatever other actions were discovered sometime after that public statement.  I'm wondering how it impacted the roster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2022, 08:45:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

“Talked about another big, another possible wing,” Udoka said Tuesday. “We’re just monitoring everything we’re doing here, taking a good look at our guys. Obviously, Sam has been signed already. For us, it’s best available wing possibly. You always like to add shooting, but another big will be a premium for sure.”

At that point, the Celtics looked to be looking to actively add players to the roster.

If I'm remembering correctly, the next move we made wasn't until August 1, inviting in dumpster dive Bruno Caboclo.

I'm guessing that Ime's affair and whatever other actions were discovered sometime after that public statement.  I'm wondering how it impacted the roster.

Gallinari was injured on Aug 27.  On July 12 there was no reason to do anything other than "monitor everything", at least in regards to bigs.  Aug 2 they signed Vonleh.  I think monitoring means that they are waiting to see what someone does.  Maybe they are waiting on Cousins.  Maybe they are waiting on Whiteside.  Neither has signed.  Both appear to be waiting.  Maybe waiting to see if Favors or someone like that gets bought out.  In the meantime, they signed Vonleh.  I suspect that both Cousins and Whiteside have received multiple offers, just not from LAL or MIA or somewhere they want to go.

As to the wing, Ime said exactly what I have been saying.  They have Hauser, but that is still probably a soft spot.  The problem is that there are not decent wings available as FA.  Hauser probably was the best of the available FAs.  They are going to need to do a trade if they decide they need another wing.

I don't think the scandal impacted any of this or at least if it did, it is not apparent to me.

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I like using the Gallinari contract for Crowder. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2022, 10:41:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

We can't do that until at least December 15, and Phoenix would have to be incentivized to take on a second year of Gallo's contract.

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2022, 10:49:35 AM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Gallinari was injured on Aug 27.  On July 12 there was no reason to do anything other than "monitor everything", at least in regards to bigs.  Aug 2 they signed Vonleh.  I think monitoring means that they are waiting to see what someone does.  Maybe they are waiting on Cousins.  Maybe they are waiting on Whiteside.  Neither has signed.  Both appear to be waiting.  Maybe waiting to see if Favors or someone like that gets bought out.  In the meantime, they signed Vonleh.  I suspect that both Cousins and Whiteside have received multiple offers, just not from LAL or MIA or somewhere they want to go.

As to the wing, Ime said exactly what I have been saying.  They have Hauser, but that is still probably a soft spot.  The problem is that there are not decent wings available as FA.  Hauser probably was the best of the available FAs.  They are going to need to do a trade if they decide they need another wing.

I don't think the scandal impacted any of this or at least if it did, it is not apparent to me.
Also on July 12th
"We're still looking, and we'll still add at least one more body at whatever we call the five position nowadays," Stevens told reporters.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/brad-stevens-shares-celtics-top-remaining-priority-offseason

I guess I was hoping for a better body.

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2022, 10:53:40 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Crowder would be an interesting target although I am not sure what you are suggesting in regards to Gallinari's contract.  Crowder makes $10.1M, Gallinari $6.4M.  We would need to send back over $8M.  Seems unlikely that PHO flat out buys him out but who knows.  If we get a DPE for Gallinari, and Crowder gets bought out, we could offer him the Gallinari's exemption that would be about $3.2M, a little better than a vet min contract (maybe that is what you meant).

Crowder at this point is probably only a little better than Grant but does have useful position versatility.  Crowder is probably more of a true SF/PF swing than Grant which would allow him to plug in as a back up wing, and that would be nice versatility to have, but I don't think that is the role that Crowder is looking for, even if he is bought out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:14:47 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2022, 11:02:32 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

Crowder would be an interesting target although I am not sure what you are suggesting in regards to Gallinari's contract.  Crowder makes $10.1M, Gallinari $6.4M.  We would need to send back over $8M.  Seems unlikely that PHO flat out buys him out but who knows.  If we get a DPE for Gallinari, and Crowder gets bought out, we could offer him the Gallinari's exemption that would be about $3.2M, a little better than a vet min contract.

Crowder at this point is probably only a little better than Grant but does have useful position versatility.  Crowder is probably more of a true SF/PF swing than Grant which would allow him to plug in as a back up wing, and that would be nice versatility to have, but I don't think that is the role that Crowder is looking for, even if he is bought out.

I don’t think he’s at all better than Grant at this point.  He shot under 40% from the field last year.  Not just from 3, but overall.  Add to it his demands to be a starter, not just in the rotation, of a contender, and no way.

If he gets bought out and would accept the role we have for him with a Gallo DPE, then sure, I’m on board.  But he’s not worth the trouble otherwise.

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2022, 11:02:42 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2022, 11:19:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Crowder would be an interesting target although I am not sure what you are suggesting in regards to Gallinari's contract.  Crowder makes $10.1M, Gallinari $6.4M.  We would need to send back over $8M.  Seems unlikely that PHO flat out buys him out but who knows.  If we get a DPE for Gallinari, and Crowder gets bought out, we could offer him the Gallinari's exemption that would be about $3.2M, a little better than a vet min contract.

I don’t think he’s at all better than Grant at this point.  He shot under 40% from the field last year.  Not just from 3, but overall.  Add to it his demands to be a starter, not just in the rotation, of a contender, and no way.

If he gets bought out and would accept the role we have for him with a Gallo DPE, then sure, I’m on board.  But he’s not worth the trouble otherwise.

I agree in general and since I don't expect he is bought out, this is all very hypothetical.  I used Grant as a comp as I think that his about his value but a little better only in that positionally, he could fill a nice role for us as a back up wing.  I see him as better suited for that than Grant who I see as not a viable wing at all.  But yeah, it doesn't seem as though Crowder sees himself in that same way.  If he wants to be a starter on a contender (which is what he is now in PHO so I still don't see what his problem is), that is not going to happen in Boston.

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
John Karalis:  It's only day 1, but Luke Kornet is in with the starting group

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2022, 03:06:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
John Karalis:  It's only day 1, but Luke Kornet is in with the starting group

Not only would it be an awesome surprise if Kornet shows something on the regular and seriously helps this team, but it's going to once again be interesting to see who comes out and admits they were dead wrong about a Celtic bench player being pure garbage for two years in a row.