Author Topic: RIP Vin Scully  (Read 5118 times)

RIP Vin Scully
« on: August 03, 2022, 07:53:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The world lost another icon.  RIP. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: RIP Vin Scully
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 10:05:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Definitely on the Mt. Rushmore of announcers.  Obviously, one of the all-time great baseball announcers if not the best ever.  Not too shabby on football or golf either.  He was actually the one who called the Montana/Clark NFC title game on CBS.

Unfortunately, I'll always most associate him with the Buckner game.  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 02:28:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I was born in Brooklyn and my cousin indoctrinated me into the Dodgers fandom.  At the time, the Dodgers had left Brooklyn only a few years before (1957). Scully was the first announcer I knew. He was already a legend in the mid-1960's.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 02:53:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I never really paid attention to Scully until after I moved to SoCal in 2007. I then got to enjoy Vin's soothing voice and affable style for the last 10 years of his career. He was great at what he did, and was already missed due to his retirement; now he'll be missed even more.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
One of the amazing things about Scully is that he rarely had someone in the booth with him.  Most of the time there are two in the booth, even three lately.  But Scully was a solo act and all that was needed.  Baseball got into streaming very early, and so as a college student on the East Coast who grew up in the Midwest, I was able to hear him call a lot of games in the early 2000s.  The only announcer I’ve ever watched a game to listen to, regardless of the teams playing.