Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 57547 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2022, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Almost done with season 5 of Cobra Kai.   It's been a pretty solid season.  Been digging Chozen's role.  Great character.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2022, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Anyone watch The Detectorists?  Funniest show I have watched in the past few years.  Try it, give it a chance.  It won some BAFTA awards.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2022, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
^I have some serious issues with Rings of Power. The timeline is a complete disaster, with things from mid 2A occurring before things that are early 2A, Galadriel is really poorly written, there has been nothing about the rings of power themselves (which could have been really well handled with the Lord of Gifts persona), I really dislike what they've done with Numenoreans, and more.

If it wasn't the IP that it is, it'd probably be a 6.5/10 for me. But with being a Tolkien tragic, the deviation from the very well-established law is just killing me. 4/10. That being said, the complaints about minority casting really bother me. Has absolutely no place (cannot believe it needs to be said!). I wish they went all in on bearded dwarven women though.

Will have a look at HoD though. Winds of Winter will come one day!

As somebody who is only somewhat familiar with Tolkien lore, the failure to adhere to a timeline doesn't bother me as much as a viewer.  I have more of a problem with the lack of a narrative focus.  I feel like the series jumps from set piece to set piece, with a lot of inconsequential filler in between.  The series hasn't done a great job explaining to the viewer why any of these characters matter, or who is important vs. tangential.
Very much agree with this. It is very discombobulated, in several ways. Not sure I'll persevere unless I hear good things from people with similar taste to me.

A $1b budget is preposterous
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2022, 11:18:42 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
^I have some serious issues with Rings of Power. The timeline is a complete disaster, with things from mid 2A occurring before things that are early 2A, Galadriel is really poorly written, there has been nothing about the rings of power themselves (which could have been really well handled with the Lord of Gifts persona), I really dislike what they've done with Numenoreans, and more.

If it wasn't the IP that it is, it'd probably be a 6.5/10 for me. But with being a Tolkien tragic, the deviation from the very well-established law is just killing me. 4/10. That being said, the complaints about minority casting really bother me. Has absolutely no place (cannot believe it needs to be said!). I wish they went all in on bearded dwarven women though.

As somebody who is only somewhat familiar with Tolkien lore, the failure to adhere to a timeline doesn't bother me as much as a viewer.  I have more of a problem with the lack of a narrative focus.  I feel like the series jumps from set piece to set piece, with a lot of inconsequential filler in between.  The series hasn't done a great job explaining to the viewer why any of these characters matter, or who is important vs. tangential.
Very much agree with this. It is very discombobulated, in several ways. Not sure I'll persevere unless I hear good things from people with similar taste to me.

I still think ROP is better than HOD. Just watched episode 6 which is set 10 years in the future. King Viserys appears to have aged significantly, but Prince Dameon looks the same as he always has. It’s absurd. I also have no idea why the show feels the need to repeatedly show birthing scenes. Keep hoping that it’s going to get better…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2022, 11:43:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I still think ROP is better than HOD. Just watched episode 6 which is set 10 years in the future. King Viserys appears to have aged significantly, but Prince Dameon looks the same as he always has. It’s absurd. I also have no idea why the show feels the need to repeatedly show birthing scenes. Keep hoping that it’s going to get better…
Still haven't gotten around to HOD. Have dropped ROP and will not return

« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2022, 12:04:39 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Still haven't gotten around to HOD. Have dropped ROP and will not return

Both shows are choppy and lack strong characters, but I feel like the acting and writing for ROP is better. Cinematography/CGI is superior as well. HOD just feels like a low budget sci-fi channel series. I expected a lot more from HBO.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:27:28 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2022, 05:12:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I do like ROP more than HOD. But I'm not saying either show is great. Just something to watch if you like other world/fantasy stories. Definitely feel it's a lack of character connection.

Speaking of character connection I felt Andor was terrible in that regard. Far worse than ROP or HOD. Disliked every dialogue interaction. The more they opened their mouths the less connected I felt.

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2022, 07:18:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like HOD.  I do think they moved way too fast through the last episode, though.  It seems like there were some potentially good story lines and characters that were squelched out way too quickly.  But, the bones of a good story are still there -- I guess we thank Martin for that -- and I'm engaged to see what happens.  This show will never come close to peak Thrones, but it's also better than Sci-Fi channel.

I really want to like ROP.  There are times when it hits right, but there's a lot of stuff that either doesn't hook me or is just confusing.  The real question:  is it better than the oozing pile of pus that was The Hobbit movies?  It probably is, but that's the lowest bar possible.

Agree on Andor.  They should have just pulled the plug on this one early on.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2022, 09:50:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think I actually liked the Hobbit more than the 3 episodes of the ROP that I watched, but that might just be distance talking. Dare I rewatch that trilogy…

Andor is just so boring!

« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2022, 09:56:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think I actually liked the Hobbit more than the 3 episodes of the ROP that I watched, but that might just be distance talking. Dare I rewatch that trilogy…

Andor is just so boring!

Hobbit was a huge letdown, and nothing I’ve heard about ROP makes me want to subscribe to Amazon (which is unfortunate, because I’d been looking forward to the show).

That said, I’m seemingly the only one who’s enjoyed Andor, so maybe I’d be the one who likes ROP also.

« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Andor is just so boring!

Hobbit was a huge letdown, and nothing I’ve heard about ROP makes me want to subscribe to Amazon (which is unfortunate, because I’d been looking forward to the show).

That said, I’m seemingly the only one who’s enjoyed Andor, so maybe I’d be the one who likes ROP also.

If you're going to subscribe to Amazon, due it for Prime benefits, along with The Boys and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  There are some watchable series on there (Bosch, Goliath, Invincible), but to me those two are the best.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2022, 10:09:17 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Andor is just so boring!

If you're going to subscribe to Amazon, due it for Prime benefits, along with The Boys and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  There are some watchable series on there (Bosch, Goliath, Invincible), but to me those two are the best.

I actually have a free Prime account from years ago that I got grandfathered into, but it was before video, so I’d literally just be subscribing for shows.

My wife has a couple shows she intends to binge if I do subscribe for ROP (Mrs. Maisel being among them) — but we also think Bezos is a horrible human being and try to use his products as little as possible, so we’ve been holding out.

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2022, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All this talk about TV series based on fantasy and sci fiction stuff made me realize how much I enjoyed Foundation on Apple+. I can not wait for that 2nd season. This series blows away what I have watched from ROP and HOD. Not enjoying either of those series.

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2022, 11:40:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I like HOD.  I do think they moved way too fast through the last episode, though.  It seems like there were some potentially good story lines and characters that were squelched out way too quickly.  But, the bones of a good story are still there -- I guess we thank Martin for that -- and I'm engaged to see what happens.  This show will never come close to peak Thrones, but it's also better than Sci-Fi channel.

I really want to like ROP.  There are times when it hits right, but there's a lot of stuff that either doesn't hook me or is just confusing.  The real question:  is it better than the oozing pile of pus that was The Hobbit movies?  It probably is, but that's the lowest bar possible.

Agree on Andor.  They should have just pulled the plug on this one early on.

I got about half way through the first episode of ROP and started fading.  It may have been that it was getting close to bedtime, but it just seemed a little too self consumed or something.  I was a huge LOR fan (bought all of the extended DVDs). And as much as the Hobbit series was a little bit of a letdown from that, I still enjoyed stepping into that world. 

I will give the new show a second try.  But my hopes are not that high.

On a lighter note, totally blew through the new season of Cobra Kai.  It's so awful, but still somehow enjoyable.  A tricky balance for sure.
Yup

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2022, 11:54:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Andor is just so boring!

I actually have a free Prime account from years ago that I got grandfathered into, but it was before video, so I’d literally just be subscribing for shows.

My wife has a couple shows she intends to binge if I do subscribe for ROP (Mrs. Maisel being among them) — but we also think Bezos is a horrible human being and try to use his products as little as possible, so we’ve been holding out.
one thing I'd mention if you do get Prime for programming, almost every time my wife and I go to watch something we get the message that the show is unavailable.  rarely are we ever able to watch the shows -- this is regardless of whether they've just come out or are older.   time of day has little impact to availability.  We do use a VPN on our fire stick but whether it's on or off seems to make no difference.

we do have another way around this situation but that has its concerns that I won't go into here.