Author Topic: NFL suspends Calvin Ridley entire season for betting on games  (Read 5029 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Per ESPN

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Calvin Ridley suspended for all of 2022 for betting on games.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 03:45:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Developing story but something to keep an eye on as Ridley may very well be the tip of an iceberg.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: NFL suspends Calvin Ridley entire season for betting on games
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 03:45:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
 You and me heard same thing at same time. Just merge me in

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 03:46:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The league said Ridley's betting took place during a five-day period in November 2021 when he was not with the team while on the non-football illness list.

The NFL said its investigation uncovered no evidence that Ridley used inside information or "that any game was compromised in any way." There also was no evidence that any of the Falcons coaches, staff or Ridley's teammates were aware of his betting activity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Calvin Ridley suspended for all of 2022 for betting on games.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Developing story but something to keep an eye on as Ridley may very well be the tip of an iceberg.

Have you heard rumblings of other players being investigated?

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 04:02:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No, but it is just strange that a player like Ridley would get caught and be the only one.  More detail in the story now, so maybe he is just an idiot.

Falcons have known this was coming since early February when the league told them about it.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
The biggest risk with normalizing sports betting is this.  I do think it should be legal (hurry up Mass), but we’re probably going to see a few players lose their careers over it.  Gambling addiction is real, and some people who are restricted from betting on sports will almost inevitably cross the line from whatever they currently gamble on (cards, horse racing, etc) to betting on games in the league they participate in.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 04:16:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Yeah, professional athletes tend to be competitive and/or thrill-seeking people, and that can easily gross over into gambling.

Jordan, Barkley, Pierce, Antoine…. Just a few of the guys who have enjoyed high stakes bets.  It’s pretty easy to see where poker bets could cross over to sports bets.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 04:19:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

No, but it is just strange that a player like Ridley would get caught and be the only one.  More detail in the story now, so maybe he is just an idiot.

Falcons have known this was coming since early February when the league told them about it.

I think the salary of these guys will prevent many guys from making this happen. Even the lowest full time backup lineman makes about a million a year. And remember, this is a minimum of one year it could be longer. If you are a fringe player and do this you will probably never get back in league. There was actually a pretty interesting documentary episode on the arizona state point shaving scandal on netflix for those interested. They got caught just doing that with college kids. (and i think college kids are still a risk for this).

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 04:26:28 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I think the salary of these guys will prevent many guys from making this happen. Even the lowest full time backup lineman makes about a million a year. And remember, this is a minimum of one year it could be longer. If you are a fringe player and do this you will probably never get back in league. There was actually a pretty interesting documentary episode on the arizona state point shaving scandal on netflix for those interested. They got caught just doing that with college kids. (and i think college kids are still a risk for this).

We’ll see.  Ridley tweeted that he only bet $1500 and so doesn’t have a gambling problem, but even months later can’t do the calculation that he in fact bet an entire year’s salary and some of his bonus money, and not simply $1500.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 05:09:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wow..ban him like Pete Rose
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The biggest risk with normalizing sports betting is this.  I do think it should be legal (hurry up Mass), but we’re probably going to see a few players lose their careers over it.  Gambling addiction is real, and some people who are restricted from betting on sports will almost inevitably cross the line from whatever they currently gamble on (cards, horse racing, etc) to betting on games in the league they participate in.
In Australia, where sports gambling is a huge part of sports culture (in a bad way), quite a few players have lost their entire career earnings punting it away at the race track. It's pretty hard to separate young, impressionable athletes from the constant barrage of gambling advertising that surrounds them.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 06:02:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I understand it from an integrity standpoint but there's irony to the fact when the league has corporate gambling partners and the league's media partners and broadcasting all sorts of gambling content.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 06:09:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I understand it from an integrity standpoint but there's irony to the fact when the league has corporate gambling partners and the league's media partners and broadcasting all sorts of gambling content.

Yep.  Airing on ESPN right now:  “Daily Wager”