Author Topic: NFL: Brian Flores Sues Over ‘Racist Hiring Policies’  (Read 11008 times)

Re: NFL: Brian Flores Sues Over ‘Racist Hiring Policies’
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
These two lack self awareness of their poor head coach records.   It 's a win now league. 

As for Hue Jackson, I can see the CLE broadcasts, and I call complete and total BS of your defense of him, it is absurd.  He was a bad coach by every metric.

Two: Although Jackson has a horrible record, his complaint seems to back up Flores' allegation about tanking which would be much worst in terms of the integrity of the league in my opinion. That has nothing to do with records.

Oh really, perhaps your not aware of this being out of market...

On this date, October 29, 2018, the Cleveland Browns fired head coach Hue Jackson. The Browns were 2-5-1 and coming off an ugly loss to the Steelers, one that featured a lot of finger-pointing and contentious activity on the sidelines between Jackson, offensive coordinator Todd Haley and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Ownership finally had enough of Jackson and his 3-36-1 record since the start of the 2016 season. Haley also got the axe, losing the power struggle with Williams. The gruff defensive coach became the interim head coach, promoting little-known Freddie Kitchens to offensive coordinator in the process.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/29/browns-history-hue-jackson-fired-anniversary/

On the worst day of the worst year of his life, Hue Jackson told his team’s owner and general manager to “get the f--- out” of his office. After the Browns fired him last Oct. 29 he grabbed a few things and left the facility, never to return. Then he drove as fast as he could, windows all the way up, no radio.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/22/hue-jackson-life-after-cleveland-browns

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 10:15:05 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
These two lack self awareness of their poor head coach records.   It 's a win now league. 

As for Hue Jackson, I can see the CLE broadcasts, and I call complete and total BS of your defense of him, it is absurd.  He was a bad coach by every metric.

Two: Although Jackson has a horrible record, his complaint seems to back up Flores' allegation about tanking which would be much worst in terms of the integrity of the league in my opinion. That has nothing to do with records.

On this date, October 29, 2018, the Cleveland Browns fired head coach Hue Jackson. The Browns were 2-5-1 and coming off an ugly loss to the Steelers, one that featured a lot of finger-pointing and contentious activity on the sidelines between Jackson, offensive coordinator Todd Haley and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Ownership finally had enough of Jackson and his 3-36-1 record since the start of the 2016 season. Haley also got the axe, losing the power struggle with Williams. The gruff defensive coach became the interim head coach, promoting little-known Freddie Kitchens to offensive coordinator in the process.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/29/browns-history-hue-jackson-fired-anniversary/

On the worst day of the worst year of his life, Hue Jackson told his team’s owner and general manager to “get the f--- out” of his office. After the Browns fired him last Oct. 29 he grabbed a few things and left the facility, never to return. Then he drove as fast as he could, windows all the way up, no radio.

The Hue Jackson record or skills as a coach has nothing to do with the allegation of owners asking him to tank on purpose with incentives involved. You throwing his record to discredit his allegation is just a way to rationalize your own bias. I am not even talking about the racial component, because I agree that Jackson doesn’t have much to stand on. However, if owners are actively tanking and Goodell knew about it, that is a much bigger story as the NFL looks to gain ground on sports gambling.

In regards to Flores, again portraying him as a bad coach when everybody was generally shocked he was fired because of the upwards trend. You said it’s a win now league? Well, they were winning like 7 games in a row and 2 against the Patriots. Seemed like everybody was convinced that he wasn’t going to stay unemployed for very long until stories started surfacing that he wasn’t matching with Tua and all that. Honestly, in this win league now, who do you think will come in and do better than him with that team?

For somebody who has been respected amongst players, qualified and experienced as a coach, he is actually jeopardizing his career. I am not saying that he was a great coach but his team has always competed even with the lack of talent. I don’t know how anyone can say he was a bad, nonetheless a terrible coach.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 11:11:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The Hue Jackson record or skills as a coach has nothing to do with the allegation of owners asking him to tank on purpose with incentives involved. You throwing his record to discredit his allegation is just a way to rationalize your own bias. I am not even talking about the racial component, because I agree that Jackson doesn’t have much to stand on. However, if owners are actively tanking and Goodell knew about it, that is a much bigger story as the NFL looks to gain ground on sports gambling.

In regards to Flores, again portraying him as a bad coach when everybody was generally shocked he was fired because of the upwards trend. You said it’s a win now league? Well, they were winning like 7 games in a row and 2 against the Patriots. Seemed like everybody was convinced that he wasn’t going to stay unemployed for very long until stories started surfacing that he wasn’t matching with Tua and all that. Honestly, in this win league now, who do you think will come in and do better than him with that team?

For somebody who has been respected amongst players, qualified and experienced as a coach, he is actually jeopardizing his career. I am not saying that he was a great coach but his team has always competed even with the lack of talent. I don’t know how anyone can say he was a bad, nonetheless a terrible coach.
For what its worth, Colin Cowherd did a pretty good job of portraying this exact sentiment.

https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1488932983138516994
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 01:14:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's been a head coach of the MIA dolphins for 2 years during that time he was 24-25 with zero post season appearances.   I think those teams were well within their rights not to hire him given his track record as a head coach.   He was not a very good head coach no matter what he alleges.   We all know their are hiring issues in all sports in regards to coaches, but this is not one of them.

Seems like the classic Peter Principle example.  He got his shot and was decidedly mediocre.

Hue Jackson apparently will back up Flores claims about incentivized tanking by providing evidence that the Browns did the same.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-hue-jackson-may-join-brian-flores-lawsuit-claims-to-have-proof-that-browns-incentivized-tanking-200931895.html

Living in Ohio, that is nonsense, for Jackson to say that.   He was a horrible head coach.   Even if that were true, and it is not, they both could have took the high road and refused.  Jackson had a  3–36–1 during his tenure.  Not a good head coach at all.
Incredible how you manage to post with such authority, yet quite obviously paid no attention to how much Flores was improving that Miami team.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 01:44:42 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
So many issues conflated on this Flores lawsuit.

Your personal assessment of his coaching ability: irrelevant. He is clearly a qualified head coaching candidate, at the least. Whether you think he's a 3/10 or an 8/10 isn't the point.

Does the Rooney Rule allow for "token" interviews to happen? Of course. That doesn't mean you can break the rule, or that it's not discriminatory to do so because "you're not a racist" or you genuinely prefer the qualifications of another candidate.

Consider the context. There is a pretty wide consensus that NFL hiring practices aren't exactly fair. There's no way that a sport can be around for this many decades, where minority participation is overwhelmingly large, but all the highest positions fail to reflect it. The reasons may be many - societal, ownership, fan base, generational networks, etc, etc. It's not a blame game, but it IS a clear and obvious problem.

The NFL wasn't going to enact affirmative action. For better or for worse, The Rooney Rule was adopted with a simple goal: make sure minorities are at least IN THE ROOM. Because it can't hurt to have more Brian Flores getting interviews, and people on the other side going "wow, this guy really is smart" with an open mind. Anti-discrimination doesn't work by everyone self-certifying "I'm not a racist", and then hiring another white guy without going through the whole process.

The Giants messed up. They discriminated against Flores, even if he wouldn't have gotten the job. They knowingly mocked the rules. This is a big deal. Not because it means person X is a "racist", or Flores is or isn't qualified. The problem is that an NFL team in 2022 doesn't think it has to abide by the most basic anti-discriminatory rules (at best). If they can't handle something so simple professionally, how can they be trusted? Goodell and the owners are a boys club of crooked billionaires with an anti-trust exemption from the government and piles of cash. No sympathy from me.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 07:40:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's been a head coach of the MIA dolphins for 2 years during that time he was 24-25 with zero post season appearances.   I think those teams were well within their rights not to hire him given his track record as a head coach.   He was not a very good head coach no matter what he alleges.   We all know their are hiring issues in all sports in regards to coaches, but this is not one of them.

Seems like the classic Peter Principle example.  He got his shot and was decidedly mediocre.

Hue Jackson apparently will back up Flores claims about incentivized tanking by providing evidence that the Browns did the same.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-hue-jackson-may-join-brian-flores-lawsuit-claims-to-have-proof-that-browns-incentivized-tanking-200931895.html

Living in Ohio, that is nonsense, for Jackson to say that.   He was a horrible head coach.   Even if that were true, and it is not, they both could have took the high road and refused.  Jackson had a  3–36–1 during his tenure.  Not a good head coach at all.
Incredible how you manage to post with such authority, yet quite obviously paid no attention to how much Flores was improving that Miami team.

Yeah, particularly his rookie season, the team was supposed to suck.  Coming into that year, everyone assumed the Dolphins were a lock for the #1 pick.  And then they shocked everyone and won several games.

Flores was clearly building something there.  But, if you defy the owner, it's pretty expected that you're not going to have long-term security.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 07:42:32 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
These coaches I don’t know anything about. I stopped watching the NFL years ago.

But I do know there are 32 NFL head coaches, and one black head coach. That’s not a simple reflection of merit - of teams just hiring the best head coach.

Whatever should happen with Flores, the league as a whole has a problem it’s not willing to fix.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 07:43:50 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So many issues conflated on this Flores lawsuit.

Your personal assessment of his coaching ability: irrelevant. He is clearly a qualified head coaching candidate, at the least. Whether you think he's a 3/10 or an 8/10 isn't the point.

Does the Rooney Rule allow for "token" interviews to happen? Of course. That doesn't mean you can break the rule, or that it's not discriminatory to do so because "you're not a racist" or you genuinely prefer the qualifications of another candidate.

Consider the context. There is a pretty wide consensus that NFL hiring practices aren't exactly fair. There's no way that a sport can be around for this many decades, where minority participation is overwhelmingly large, but all the highest positions fail to reflect it. The reasons may be many - societal, ownership, fan base, generational networks, etc, etc. It's not a blame game, but it IS a clear and obvious problem.

The NFL wasn't going to enact affirmative action. For better or for worse, The Rooney Rule was adopted with a simple goal: make sure minorities are at least IN THE ROOM. Because it can't hurt to have more Brian Flores getting interviews, and people on the other side going "wow, this guy really is smart" with an open mind. Anti-discrimination doesn't work by everyone self-certifying "I'm not a racist", and then hiring another white guy without going through the whole process.

The Giants messed up. They discriminated against Flores, even if he wouldn't have gotten the job. They knowingly mocked the rules. This is a big deal. Not because it means person X is a "racist", or Flores is or isn't qualified. The problem is that an NFL team in 2022 doesn't think it has to abide by the most basic anti-discriminatory rules (at best). If they can't handle something so simple professionally, how can they be trusted? Goodell and the owners are a boys club of crooked billionaires with an anti-trust exemption from the government and piles of cash. No sympathy from me.

I don't think they discriminated against him, I think they did what most many who hire candidates do, stick close to the vest.  Flores was an unknown to the new GM but Daboll wasn't.  Flores may have the better HC resume, but again, the GM knows Daboll personally.  That's tough to overcome, unless it's negative personally.  Many times when I've hired, I've reached out to people that I know or others know first.  Why, because the devil is in what you don't know.

That said, I'm not a fan of the rule, but then again, I don't care who I hire; black, asian, lbg, hispanic, etc., I've interviewed and hired across the spectrum.  To me, it's about being the best candidate for the position and if more people believed in this, we wouldn't have near the issues we do.

One thing I do hope that comes out of this, maybe we finally get that Congressional investigation into the NFL because you know there is more to the WFT story than what was released.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 07:50:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
For better or worse, my guess is that Flores' firing and being passed over for jobs is more related to him not cooperating with ownership / management and less to do with his race.  That said, at least regarding the Giants it's pretty clear that they were just giving him a token interview.

I find it interesting that he did this while still interviewing for other jobs.  Hasn't he now given those teams a legitimate reason not to hire him (i.e., he's become a distraction)? 

I was hoping Flores would be hired by the Bears.  He really excelled in Miami with a mediocre QB.  However, I think that he may have blackballed himself here.

Actually leading up to it, it was reported he was the favorite of the owner (liked that he was from Brooklyn).  That's why the owner reached out to him before the GM was selected.   They then let the GM make the final choice for the head coach.   He went with the offensive coordinator from his former team (which makes sense for a team that needs to better develop their current QB or the one they would replace him with after this season if it fails)

Yeah, but the timeline seems to suggest the Giants had drcided on a coach before the Flores interview, and still went through the dog and pony show for optics / tokenism.  They should have at least ended the interview process if they’d decided.

How?   The Giants reached out before they even hired a GM.  Not to mention the Giants also interviewed Leslie Frazier twice and Patrick Graham once.

I think the allegation (supported by BB's texts) is that the Giants decided on Daboll two days before interviewing Flores in person, and three days before interviewing Frazier in person.

Now, what we can't know for certain yet is whether Daboll was formally offered the job, with terms agreed to, before the Flores and Frazier interviews.  I suspect they're going to say that no decision was final, and even if Daboll was preferred, they needed to interview Flores and Frazier in case things fell through.  That doesn't suggest tokenism necessarily, but it does suggest a violation of the Rooney Rule.

There's probably some confusion there, because the "rule" has actually been amended.  Now, the requirements are:

* You must interview two black candidates (I believe it's black, but it may reference coaches of color);

* One of those interviews must be in-person, and must be with somebody from outside of your organization

So, if Daboll was offered the job on January 25 (the same day BB texted Flores), the interviews on January 27 (Flores) and January 28 (Frazier) seemingly violated the Rooney Rule.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For better or worse, my guess is that Flores' firing and being passed over for jobs is more related to him not cooperating with ownership / management and less to do with his race.  That said, at least regarding the Giants it's pretty clear that they were just giving him a token interview.

I find it interesting that he did this while still interviewing for other jobs.  Hasn't he now given those teams a legitimate reason not to hire him (i.e., he's become a distraction)? 

I was hoping Flores would be hired by the Bears.  He really excelled in Miami with a mediocre QB.  However, I think that he may have blackballed himself here.

Actually leading up to it, it was reported he was the favorite of the owner (liked that he was from Brooklyn).  That's why the owner reached out to him before the GM was selected.   They then let the GM make the final choice for the head coach.   He went with the offensive coordinator from his former team (which makes sense for a team that needs to better develop their current QB or the one they would replace him with after this season if it fails)

Yeah, but the timeline seems to suggest the Giants had drcided on a coach before the Flores interview, and still went through the dog and pony show for optics / tokenism.  They should have at least ended the interview process if they’d decided.

How?   The Giants reached out before they even hired a GM.  Not to mention the Giants also interviewed Leslie Frazier twice and Patrick Graham once.

I think the allegation (supported by BB's texts) is that the Giants decided on Daboll two days before interviewing Flores in person, and three days before interviewing Frazier in person.

Now, what we can't know for certain yet is whether Daboll was formally offered the job, with terms agreed to, before the Flores and Frazier interviews.  I suspect they're going to say that no decision was final, and even if Daboll was preferred, they needed to interview Flores and Frazier in case things fell through.  That doesn't suggest tokenism necessarily, but it does suggest a violation of the Rooney Rule.

There's probably some confusion there, because the "rule" has actually been amended.  Now, the requirements are:

* You must interview two black candidates (I believe it's black, but it may reference coaches of color);

* One of those interviews must be in-person, and must be with somebody from outside of your organization

So, if Daboll was offered the job on January 25 (the same day BB texted Flores), the interviews on January 27 (Flores) and January 28 (Frazier) seemingly violated the Rooney Rule.

So the only evidence is what a coach from another team said?   

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

What a coach from another team said the Giants were doing in advance of the Giants doing it.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

What a coach from another team said the Giants were doing in advance of the Giants doing it.

I saw plenty of people believe it was going to be him once the GM was in place.   

Here is another piece, there was competition for Daboll.   Miami also liked him and he could have coached Tua again (he coached him in college).   So if Daboll went to Miami, the Giants other two finalist were Flores and Frazier.   

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 11:16:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I saw plenty of people believe it was going to be him once the GM was in place.   

Here is another piece, there was competition for Daboll.   Miami also liked him and he could have coached Tua again (he coached him in college).   So if Daboll went to Miami, the Giants other two finalist were Flores and Frazier.

Well, the text wasn't a prediction.  It seems like inside knowledge:

The lawsuit showed text messages of Belichick sending congratulations to Flores for landing the Giants job on Jan. 24. That text was sent two days prior to Flores actually interviewing for the job.

After Flores initially appeared confused by the text message, he asked Belichick, “Coach, are you talking to Brian Flores or Brian Daboll. Just making sure.”

Belichick replied: “Sorry – I f—ed this up. I double checked & I misread the text. I think they are naming Daboll. I’m sorry about that. BB”

If they in fact knew Daboli was their coach, fine.  Why go through the dog and pony show of conducting interviews with Flores and Frazier?  The theory was so that they didn't violate the Rooney Rule.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 11:21:26 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
As a Dolphins fan, what is most infuriating, but also typical of Dolphins luck is that Miami got screwed by Bill Bellichick’s incompetence with texting. Even in his incompetence, he owns the Dolphins.  :'(

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 04:36:53 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I don't think they discriminated against him, I think they did what most many who hire candidates do, stick close to the vest.  Flores was an unknown to the new GM but Daboll wasn't.  Flores may have the better HC resume, but again, the GM knows Daboll personally.  That's tough to overcome, unless it's negative personally.  Many times when I've hired, I've reached out to people that I know or others know first.  Why, because the devil is in what you don't know.

That said, I'm not a fan of the rule, but then again, I don't care who I hire; black, asian, lbg, hispanic, etc., I've interviewed and hired across the spectrum.  To me, it's about being the best candidate for the position and if more people believed in this, we wouldn't have near the issues we do.

One thing I do hope that comes out of this, maybe we finally get that Congressional investigation into the NFL because you know there is more to the WFT story than what was released.

Not following anti-discriminatory policy, and choosing an internal candidate before giving those interviews is exactly the definition of discrimination.

I totally understand the idea of best intentions, and the value of internal candidates. I'm not saying Flores was disliked because he's *black* (that would be racist of course).

This is the leap I think is hard for people to make sometimes. Everyone is always the exception because "I don't see color", the rule is not about them, and what difference would it make. The rule is there for other people who ARE racist.

I see it more like voting. We all have to do our part. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. The Giants operating like this was discriminatory, and part of the problem. Intentions, rationalization, and self perception don't give them a pass.