Author Topic: Lionel Messi wants out of Barcelona  (Read 9512 times)

Lionel Messi wants out of Barcelona
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/12056591/lionel-messi-tells-barcelona-he-wants-to-leave-the-club?fbclid=IwAR0QsiyC2YsUicWBGzD2_qdAoaBrrlCEVghtlc02nUyeXQcpXOmf3Oj1IMI

Lionel Messi has told Barcelona he wants to leave the club after nearly two decades with the Spanish giants.

The club confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Argentine sent a document expressing his desire to leave.

So, where does he go next? Who's to blame for this?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Lionel Messi wants out of Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11833/12056591/lionel-messi-tells-barcelona-he-wants-to-leave-the-club?fbclid=IwAR0QsiyC2YsUicWBGzD2_qdAoaBrrlCEVghtlc02nUyeXQcpXOmf3Oj1IMI

Lionel Messi has told Barcelona he wants to leave the club after nearly two decades with the Spanish giants.

The club confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Argentine sent a document expressing his desire to leave.

The Pats need a kicker.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

The Pats need a kicker.

That's about a $90 million a year kicker right there.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
There is nowhere for him to go. He makes too much money. It rules almost everyone out.

Messi does not fit into the picture on any of the top teams in England. Too old and defensively inadequate to fit into Man City or Man Utd. Chelsea spent a load of cash on other attackers. Arsenal do not have the money. Liverpool are too stocked in attacking to take Messi on.

He can't go to Real Madrid. PSG couldn't afford him after Mbappe and Neymar. None of the other French teams have the money. Juventus just got Ronaldo so I doubt that is workable. Inter? Maybe.

I suppose I could see Tottenham with Mourinho making a run at Messi. A statement signing. That is a pretty far fall from Barcelona though. And would Messi really want to play for Mourinho? Defensive football.

It would be phenomenal to see Messi go somewhere like AC Milan and revive a fallen giant. None of the other Italian teams have the money. Bayern wouldn't spent that much on an older player who upsets team chemistry at the same time. None of the other German teams have the money.

Inter look to me to be the best option. Play for Antonio Conte.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 06:45:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There is nowhere for him to go. He makes too much money. It rules almost everyone out.

Messi does not fit into the picture on any of the top teams in England. Too old and defensively inadequate to fit into Man City or Man Utd. Chelsea spent a load of cash on other attackers. Arsenal do not have the money. Liverpool are too stocked in attacking to take Messi on.

He can't go to Real Madrid. PSG couldn't afford him after Mbappe and Neymar. None of the other French teams have the money. Juventus just got Ronaldo so I doubt that is workable. Inter? Maybe.

I suppose I could see Tottenham with Mourinho making a run at Messi. A statement signing. That is a pretty far fall from Barcelona though. And would Messi really want to play for Mourinho? Defensive football.

It would be phenomenal to see Messi go somewhere like AC Milan and revive a fallen giant. None of the other Italian teams have the money. Bayern wouldn't spent that much on an older player who upsets team chemistry at the same time. None of the other German teams have the money.

It really does need to be Milan. It's been too many years since Kaka and it's approaching the dark years of the Celtics it's been so bad.

I'm not even expecting it to result in great success, but they really need something to put them back on the map. I can't even bring myself to watch them anymore, it's just too depressing.

Signing with Inter would be the biggest kick in the balls possible, please no.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It really does need to be Milan. It's been too many years since Kaka and it's approaching the dark years of the Celtics it's been so bad.

I'm not even expecting it to result in great success, but they really need something to put them back on the map. I can't even bring myself to watch them anymore, it's just too depressing.

Messi in Milan would be cool. They have some impressive young players (I love Kessie), but they need some world-class talent to trouble Juventus. Finishing 6th is not good enough
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Reunited with Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

That would be fun, regardless if tt becomes a success or an ego fight. Well, okay, Zlatan actually has not agreed to a new deal at Milan yet.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

There are conflicting reports, so it's hard to trust. But I saw this from Bleacher Report.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1298318924208058371?s=20

Lionel Messi has asked Barcelona to accept a clause in his contract that would allow him to move on a free this summer. The club are holding an emergency meeting to discuss the issue, reports
@rac1

If there's no transfer fee involved, surely there will be clubs that can now afford him, right?

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Question to you, Who.

How do you think Inter can get Lionel Messi? Surely the first thing that comes to mind is a money + swapping Lautaro Martinez deal, right?

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Apparently he wants to go to Citeh.

Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi spoke on the phone last week to discuss the possibility of the Barcelona forward making a move to Manchester City this summer, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

Messi shocked Barca on Tuesday when he informed the team of his intention to leave this summer, despite having a contract until 2021. Barca responded by asking him to stay at the club he first joined as a teenager almost 20 years ago.

ESPN reported Monday that City have been crunching the numbers to work out if they would be able to sign Messi without breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona/story/4166914/barcelonas-lionel-messi-spoke-with-pep-guardiola-about-manchester-city-move-sources

There's zero chance that Barca let him go on a free, the clause apparently expired in June. If Citeh somehow pay his 700m euro transfer fee they really need to throw out the whole Financial Fair Play thing  >:(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 12:31:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi spoke on the phone last week to discuss the possibility of the Barcelona forward making a move to Manchester City this summer, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

Messi shocked Barca on Tuesday when he informed the team of his intention to leave this summer, despite having a contract until 2021. Barca responded by asking him to stay at the club he first joined as a teenager almost 20 years ago.

ESPN reported Monday that City have been crunching the numbers to work out if they would be able to sign Messi without breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona/story/4166914/barcelonas-lionel-messi-spoke-with-pep-guardiola-about-manchester-city-move-sources

There's zero chance that Barca let him go on a free, the clause apparently expired in June. If Citeh somehow pay his 700m euro transfer fee they really need to throw out the whole Financial Fair Play thing  >:(
Apparently there's a clause that allows Messi to terminate his contract lol.
https://twitter.com/BarcaWorldwide/status/1298371182127747072?s=19
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 12:34:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

We will never be able to afford Messi - Kane and Ndombele are our highest earners at 200k a week. Also Mourinho's system isn't as draconian as you'd suggest for creative players playing the 9 or 10 positions, those players don't have that many defensive responsibilities.

Btw how is Conte a good option for Messi while Mourinho is a crap one? Conte plays "defensive football" as well and doesn't accept anyone on his team not running up and down the pitch like a madman.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 01:31:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I’ve read that the clause expired in June or July? Seems like a messy situation given the price tag Messi has if he can’t walk free
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 01:59:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I’ve read that the clause expired in June or July? Seems like a messy situation given the price tag Messi has if he can’t walk free
I think this is a different clause, otherwise Messi wouldn't have faxed this to them. But if it is the very same clause it'll be an interesting situation.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 03:57:56 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Unfortunately despite his innate skill Messi is now past his peak and most of Barcelona's problems stem from the fact that they always depended on Messi to carry the team. Barcelona have been struggling defensively for years since Puyol retired. There has been no rebuild or succession planning for the future. New manager Koeman has the unenviable task of building from rock bottom. I wish him and his assistant Henrik Larsson best of luck