Author Topic: Panel discussion on movies/cinema  (Read 13877 times)

Re: Panel discussion on movies
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ha, 2-1 ratio rules in Borat's favor!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In my experience I find the wild and crazy guys to be the most accurate stereotype followed by Latka.  Followed by Borat minus the bragging about his sister

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
I probably agree that Braveheart got played out and there isn't enough substance in a move like Gladiator to keep me past one viewing, even if the first viewing was amazing.

I somewhat agree on Gladiator, but Braveheart never gets old for me.  I've probably seen that movie at least 100 times (probably 85 on them my freshman year in college).

Agreed on Godfather.  Still a must watch.

Side note on Borat as it pertains to Sasha Baron Cohen - he had a tremendous performance as a quirky French detective in Hugo.  I'm kind of bummed that movie isn't getting more buzz (or maybe it is and I'm just not the kind to hear the buzz). 

I heard people talking about Hugo the other day.  Once at the library, once at the grocry store, and once at the liquor store.  If it isnt doing well in theatres I think it will be huge on DVD and BLU RAY.

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Deer Hunter amazing true-life powerhouse then; fictitious, dull at times, good Vietnam war-drama now.

Godfather 1 and 2 phenomenal then; phenomenal now.

Godfather 3 disappointing then; just plain awful now.

Blazing Saddles hysterical then; mostly outdated now.

Animal House funniest movie ever then; not anymore.

Rocky 1 stand up and cheer then; wish Rocky had kept his no-rematch pledge now.

Rocky Horror Picture Show - I didn't get it then; I really don't get it now.

Exorcist absolutely terrifying then; not so much now.

Jaws great then; great now.

American Grafitti brilliant then; kinda slow now.

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Back to the Future, loved it as a kid, still great today.
Toy Story has held up well too.

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The Shining...timeless and still frightening

The Hurt Locker...I was blown away (pun intended) first watch. 2nd viewing all the intensity of the first half of the movie falls flat. Still a good story though with tremendous acting.

Crash...Still good and still relevant

The mvoie about the Miami Heat Hype Machine...terrible last year..unbearable this year.

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
So movies that can stand the tests of time?

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Still amazing, well written, well acted, brilliant film.  I saw this when I was ten and it still gets me into the film every time.

Dances with Wolves is still incredible.  Some of the shots they got in the Badlands are impressive 20+ years latter and no its still better than Goodfellas.   The shots of the stream with the sun light bouncing off the water before the Blackfoot attack is very impressive cinematography and one of the reasons they won the Academy Award.

Alien and Aliens are both still awesome films.  The uncut, 3 hour epic version of Aliens is amazing if you love the franchise.

Blade Runner - still the best SF story ever told and still an awesome movie.  Its creepy seeing a young, real young Edward James Olmos.

Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhizago and Casablanca are all amazing films which still look great and feel like big epic films.

Rio Bravo is amazing as well.  Even with Dean and Ricky's song.  I mean a twenty year old Angie Dickinson, hells ya!  Actually anything with John Wayne is awesome still.

Good Bad & the Ugly - still holds up as does Once Upon a Time in the West.

Jaws and Close Encounters still hold up as well.  I would rather watch both of those than their contemporary equivalents.

Movies that will not hold up - Avatar - script was terrible, its basically Ferngully meets Dances with Wolves, poor acting outside of S. Weaver and the 3D thing will fade leaving this movie to die like the Transformers and Iron Man.

Any James Bond film.  They are great but also look hookie and from whatever period of time they came from.  Especially the 1970s and 1980s Bond films.

You really just have to not listen to mainstream Hollywood and pick a few titles from the lists of Academy Award nominees past to find the gems that still work in 2012.

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »

Offline BigGovy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Might as well discuss greatest sports movies and how they hold up. My preferential list as follows

Hoosiers: Great then and equally great now. Can not beat performances by all would watch it one hundred times.

Raging Bull : Has always been in my sports films list and can never decide if it should be ahead of Hoosiers. Great then , greater now.

Field of Dreams: I think you never played catch with your Dad you don't get ti so much. I would give a trillion bucks for another catch with mine . Still Great movie now.

The Natural: Great then Great now. The cinematography  is off the hook so is the story

Big Lebowski; Cult classic great then great forever

Slapshot: Has gotten dated still very funny

Caddyshack" Great then great now Yes dated in genre but another cult favorite

Brians Song: Nothing gets more dated than this made for tv movie about Brian Piccolo but it still makes you cry.

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I just recently saw Heat... Was impressed but I think my expectations were way too high. I would rather watch the Town or the Departed to be completely honest with you.

Re: Panel discussion on movies/cinema
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think things that aged well was anything with a cool guy in it, because guys don't dress good anymore. It doesn't fit anywhere. I can't articulate this well.

The original Ocean's 11. Nobody is as cool as that. Nobody. When Frank Sinatra comes off as the smarty pants dork you know you've got a heck of a cast. Freakin Dean Martin raising the bar to impossible heights for the next 4 generations. I gotta learn to play piano or something and fast.

Rebel without a Cause.  Very wise to make the millionaire of Gilligan James Dean's father. The juxtaposition is absurd. That's for taking one for the team Mr. Howell. 

On the Waterfront....it's not that we need to get rid of our unions...it's that other countries need to get them

Mr. Smith goes to Washington......they should make Congress watch this every day and night until they balance the budget.

Philadelphia Story....I don't know how it was received at the time. Has a certain coolness now though.

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
On The Waterfront, The Philadelphia Story and Mr Smith Goes to Washington = Timeless Classics.

Rebel Without a Cause is dated and cheesy.

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »

Kiorrik

Reservoir Dogs - Good then, great now.

Kill Bill - Great then, good now.

City of Lost Children (and Amelie) - Good then, great now. "They just don't make 'm like that anymore."

5th Element - Great then, not so much now.

Beetlejuice - Decent then, good now. (really)

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »

Kiorrik

Cube - Good then, less than solid now.

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Nightmare Before Christmas.  Genius then. Genius now

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I use to love Red Dawn. Saw it in the theater. Wolverine!!!!!
Not so good now.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird