Author Topic: If I am the 76ers GM  (Read 2986 times)

Re: If I am the 76ers GM
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Giving big contracts to role players like Redick and Mills would be about the worst thing the Sixers could do.  They need to maintain flexibility with their cap space.  If Embiid stays healthy, they'll be able to use that cap space to build a true contender.  If Embiid can't stay healthy, they don't want Reddick and Mills tying up cap space and getting meaningless wins.  They could still have two more top 5s in 2018 and two more top 5s in 2019. 

The Sixers should: 

1)  Try to work an extension with Embiid that saves them some money and gives him some security. 
2)  Try to work a front loaded extension with Covington.  He's a very good fit with Embiid and Simmons.   
3)  Try to trade up for Fultz
4)  Try to trade for Butler
5)  If they still have the #3 pick, they should draft BPA.  I'd say that is probably Jackson or Fox with Isaac as an outside possibility.

Colangelo did that exact thing with the Raptors. He had Chris Bosh, cap space and the #1 pick (choose Bargnani). Great opportunity to build a contender if he remained patient.

Instead he spent all his cap space on role players. Anthony Parker. Jorge Garbajosa. Someone else. Maybe Nesterovic.

I'd expect Colangelo to do the same again this summer.

..... It's a shame Philly hired him. Throwing away all the hard work done by Hinkie.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Colangelo could screw it up but so far he has been Hinkiesque.  The only guaranteed multiyear contract he gave last year was Bayless (3yr/27M).  He got a 1st for trading Grant for Ilyasova. Then when Saric improved and Ilyasova indicated he was looking for a multiyear deal he dumped Ilyasova for a 2nd. 

This offseason I think Embiid's and Simmon's injuries should keep Colangelo from screwing up too badly.  If they should stay healthy and make (or get close to ) the playoffs this next season, I could see Colangelo making bad moves to rush the process and end up screwing up their chance to be a true contender.  However if Embiid can stay healthy, he'll be so dominant I'm not sure even Colangelo could screw it up.   

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395