Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?  (Read 55515 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo for Howard...?
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This trade actually makes sense for both teams. The only way to beat the Heat is with dominant bigs. Howard and KG down low could get that done.

For the Lakers,they get an all-star PG who Kobe loves. As Kobe ages, Rondo can get him easy shots and scoring chances and Rondo can be their franchise cornerstone going forward. If the second player was Jeff Green this would be even better for the Lakers as it gives them another shooter to spread the floor to run D'Antoni's system.

The fact that everyone is denying this so strongly makes it seem even more legitimate.

If this trade happens there is a 90% change KG will retire after the season ends, and if he does then there's a good chance Pierce will go with him.

Dwight has shown he is incapable of showing loyalty for any team, period, so the chance of keeping him after this season is slim. 

You would pretty much be renting Howard for one season, and throwing away your two hall of famers in the process.

I'm very 50/50 on this deal right now, even if Rondo is injured and does have his personality issues, those issues are minuscule compared to the ones Howard brings. 

If it involved sending out any of out consistent poerces or young talent (Terry, Green, Lee, Sullinger, Bradley) as well there is no way in hell I'd do it.

Rondo for Bass I'd think about it, but if that happens I think we move into a new era instantly, because I don't see KG sticking around if any of the big three core is traded.

The only hope at all in this deal is that MAYBE Howard would respect Doc as a coach, and maybe he would help get through to him mentally.  I think of Doc, Popovich and Phil Jackson as probably the only three coaches in the league right now who might have a chance of that.  Howard probably gets what he wants because this would become his team, and he'd be a #1 star on a team that has a history of winning and filled with young talent.

If there is ANY big in the league that can take over KG's legacy on both ends of the floor (especially defensively) it's Howard IF you can get through to his head and if he can stay injury free...given Boston's histroy if injuries that last part worries me. 

Very torn on this...Rondo+Bass for Howard you need to think about it, and Howard even if he doesn't work out would be a top tier trade chip.

I do think that AB, Lee, Pierce, KG, Howard would make a pretty elite lineup this year if Dwight can stay healthy both in body and mind, but i dunno...this guy really rubs me the wrong way. 

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2013, 03:20:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
“You don’t want Rondo? Send him my way,” Kobe continued. “I love everything about him. Everything. I love his attitude, I love his chippiness, his edge, his intellect, his know-it-allness. All of it. That’s what makes championship players.

“What guard have you seen at his size that will get you 18 assists, 17 boards and 20 points all in one game? That’s unheard of. I love that kid. I always make a point of talking to him during All-Star [Weekend]. He’s one of my favorites.”

Kobe on Rondo 02/07/13

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8924289/kobe-bryant-feels-pain-rajon-rondo-boston-celtics

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2013, 03:35:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I'm shocked at how many Laker fans' love the idea of this trade.

Can you add some of their comments? Would love to see their reaction and lust for rondo.

I called it! I knew they would turn on Dwight!

Here ya go:

by stunnar0b on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

I would love me some rondo on the Lakers, his ruthlessness and competitiveness is on another level but the dude cant shoot (consistently) to save his life, and if you pair him with Howard your only asking for trouble.

by myersia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm

YES! They are considering trading Dwight! FINALLY!

by Kilroy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Rondo isn't healthy right now, and he won't play before the playoffs. And I'm still cool with that.

I don't think we're a playoff team with Dwight anyway. This season is done.

And Rondo seemed to hardly know he was injured, so hopefully, he'll recover quickly.

by myersia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 pm

RONDOOOOOOOO! Nash off the bench as our 6th man. 4th quarter lineup: Rondo/Nash/Kobe/Clark/Pau

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=52445c54e1165063d9876cd1698a350f

I know it's giving up Dwight but if you really wanna get best value back it's Rajon Rondo no question Lakers get burned every [dang] year by an opposing PG and with Rondo he will finally fill that void offensively and defensively.  And with all that cap space in 2014 Rondo would be the only person on the Lakers roster and it could be easier to attract free agents knowing they will have an elite point guard that can score, drop dimes, and rebound.

Consider this:  celts would have Dwight for playoffs this year.  If they get 6 seed could avoid MIA until ECF.

They would sweeten pot to pull this off and make one last run with KG and Pierce.

Rondo for Dwight? Why would Boston wanna help us out like that?

Rondo is a walking triple double. Do it mitch. #nuff said.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61582-dwight-for-rondo-has-been-discussed-by-lakersceltics/page__st__20

Obviously there are some posters who do not like the idea, but I would say 60-70% of Laker nation is in strong favor of this.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2013, 04:10:33 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
HELL TO THE N-O!

Are we even certain that Dwight is going to resign with Boston if this rumored idea goes thru?

What about his lack of competitiveness? Him throwing teammates under the bus when the situation doesnt bode well for his liking?

Rondo maybe an enigma, but mentally and SALARY wise, Howard cant touch him. Not Dwight please. I get that he's the best Center in the NBA, but God I don't want that drama in Boston.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Howard has shown his true colors in the Laker debacle, I would not touch him with a ten foot pole.

Laker fans know Dwight = lockeroom cancer.

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

Ouch.
If you believe the several rumors, that's how they reported it.  Warriors turned us down and the Lakers turned us down... obviously the Hornets didn't want Rondo for Chris Paul either... and FYI, it's now coming out that the Lakers and Celtics may have indeed talked... a few weeks ago when Rondo was still healthy.  I bet the Celtics initiated it and it got shot down.

There's absolutely no way the Lakers would give up the best big in the league for a point guard who is injured for a year.

Just to correct you slightly, Rondo will be out approximately 6-7 months. It was a partial tear. He should be ready for camp and the start of the season.

They did surgery on it, it's going to be the typical ACL time frame.  8 months at the absolute earliest (Think Adrian Peterson).  I rehab these every day and have had 2 done on myself.

Everybody including ainge is saying rondo should be ready for camp. I understand the normal timeframe and that peterson was back in september after a late january op, but everyone is saying he will be at least moving about the court at camp. I will believe them.

Being ready to participate in parts of camp is completely different then being ready to play in a game (uncontrolled environment).  After 4 months he's going to feel like he can do just about anything, it's all about giving that graft time to heal.  He'll take part in sections of camp, but won't be full go for at least 8 months.  Hopefully he'll surprise the heck out of me though.

« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
In the most construed analogy I can come up with, when it comes to D12, I find that we often act akin to an insecure boy who states that the hottest girl in the class is "really only a 2, she's not that pretty!" but upon learning we have a chance with her, infatuated puppies we become.

Ok I'm done.
I can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

That said, in some magical land where we could land him for our broken point guard who even when he was healthy couldn't fetch chronically injured Steph Curry or 32 year old Pau Gasol... sign me up twice.

If anything this shows how foolish people were to take reported rumors as fact. Somehow the Lakers would discuss Dwight Howard for Rondo but the wouldn't consider trading an older, lesser player for him? Too funny.

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Rondo for howard? Really? Where do i sign?

In fantsay land or on NBA 2K13.

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Folks think this way...
Cs without Rondo are playnig better, and getting better score. Can you imagine, if Cs will add Howard, HOW STRONG THIS TEAM WILL BE?

« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
In the most construed analogy I can come up with, when it comes to D12, I find that we often act akin to an insecure boy who states that the hottest girl in the class is "really only a 2, she's not that pretty!" but upon learning we have a chance with her, infatuated puppies we become.

Ok I'm done.
I can't stand Dwight's personality.  I'm not a fan of him at all.  He always seemed destined to be a Laker to me... and that's where he will remain.

If anything this shows how foolish people were to take reported rumors as fact. Somehow the Lakers would discuss Dwight Howard for Rondo but the wouldn't consider trading an older, lesser player for him? Too funny.
I think the rationalization fueling this is:

1) Lakers suck with him
2) he's damaged (we'll ignore the fact that the same can definitely be said for Rondo)
3) Kobe doesn't like him
4) He's a free agent after this season, and this season is lost, so let's deal him while we can still get something for him.

Yup

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »

Offline karimb

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
Judging by these last 10 games, this trade could be great for us.  I just have a hard time seeing Howard as a Celtic and the thought of Rondo in a Lakers jersey makes me want to puke
My portfolio website: www.freshcontrast.com

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A damaged Howard is still better than Collins right?

And if we can sign and trade Howard this summer if he doesn't want to stay we could get a couple nice pieces for him, especially if he has a ring...

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Kobe and Rondo would be a scary duo.

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Howard is reported to arrived in Boston on a flying saucer.   

« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Ok I'm done.

I think the rationalization fueling this is:

1) Lakers suck with him
2) he's damaged (we'll ignore the fact that the same can definitely be said for Rondo)
3) Kobe doesn't like him
4) He's a free agent after this season, and this season is lost, so let's deal him while we can still get something for him.

I don't think the Lakers are willing to mail in the season just yet. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri