Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 235694 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I'm not sure how a Bridges for Brown swap would work as they are similar players, though Bridges does have a much better assist to turnover ratio, so I'd like that. That seems more like swapping one poor fit for another poor fit though.

I think something like Garland and Okoro for Brown would benefit both teams and I think the Cavs would do that if they could get Mitchell to commit. I think a Randle, Hart package from the Knicks is intriguing. I'd see if Houston was interested as they have several high-level draft picks like Smith. He'd be an interesting starting point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
I wonder, as a sidebar to this discussion - what do we think swapping out a coach would look like at this point?

I'm fairly even on Joe, mostly because we win a whole lot more than we lose, but I'd like to hear a bit more about the kind of systems that people think swapping a coach would impact, especially from people who have been able to watch the season's games more closely than I have.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595
I'm pretty sure the strongest "Fire Joe" contingent would prefer coaches such as Nurse or Vogel, but those guys look terrible right now, don't they?

There's Nurse infamous non-timeout in Game 2.  Has Nurse made any adjustments?  How come he's not putting Embiid in the post in the 4Q?  (Embiid has not hit a single shot in the paint in the 4Q this series and I think has only taken 3 total 4Q shots in the paint all series).  I'd have to think he could be managing Embiid's minutes better so he can be factor in the 4th.  Did he make any adjustments to stop Brunson yesterday?

Frank Vogel, what a mess in Phoenix.  Did he make any adjustments during the series, or is that super team's roster fit such a mess he's absolved of blame?  Durant is out there questioning the offense.

If either guy becomes available, is that who you'd want over Joe?  I don't think either looks like they'd be an upgrade right now (at least some of the same "non-adjustment" problems would persist).

I was ready to be done with Joe after Game 2 (but hopefully that's just an anomaly).  Who is the dream replacement (with an actually possibility of being available) right now?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm pretty sure the strongest "Fire Joe" contingent would prefer coaches such as Nurse or Vogel, but those guys look terrible right now, don't they?

There's Nurse infamous non-timeout in Game 2.  Has Nurse made any adjustments?  How come he's not putting Embiid in the post in the 4Q?  (Embiid has not hit a single shot in the paint in the 4Q this series and I think has only taken 3 total 4Q shots in the paint all series).  I'd have to think he could be managing Embiid's minutes better so he can be factor in the 4th.  Did he make any adjustments to stop Brunson yesterday?

Frank Vogel, what a mess in Phoenix.  Did he make any adjustments during the series, or is that super team's roster fit such a mess he's absolved of blame?  Durant is out there questioning the offense.

If either guy becomes available, is that who you'd want over Joe? I don't think either looks like they'd be an upgrade right now (at least some of the same "non-adjustment" problems would persist).

I was ready to be done with Joe after Game 2 (but hopefully that's just an anomaly).  Who is the dream replacement (with an actually possibility of being available) right now?

I disagree with your premise.  I'm confident that Nurse could have come up with the "cover their shooters" adjustment at some point in Game 2.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't get the love affair with Nurse at all.  He got lucky his first year had Kawhi and win a title and then got worse in Toronto.  Philly had their worst regular season since 2017 and their worst playoff appearance since Boston swept them in 2020 in Brown's last year.  Nurse is not a good coach.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1401
I wonder, as a sidebar to this discussion - what do we think swapping out a coach would look like at this point?

I'm fairly even on Joe, mostly because we win a whole lot more than we lose, but I'd like to hear a bit more about the kind of systems that people think swapping a coach would impact, especially from people who have been able to watch the season's games more closely than I have.

Frank Vogel might soon be available...same with Doc Rivers  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977

Doc’s been passed around more than Stormy Daniel’s

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

Doc’s been passed around more than Stormy Daniel’s

TP for the chuckle  :laugh:

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't get the love affair with Nurse at all.  He got lucky his first year had Kawhi and win a title and then got worse in Toronto.  Philly had their worst regular season since 2017 and their worst playoff appearance since Boston swept them in 2020 in Brown's last year.  Nurse is not a good coach.

Any thoughts on why Philly may have had a down year?  Any relevant factors?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Nick Nurse?  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Obviously I know Embiid missed more time than usual, but you still play to win the game.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977

Suck franchise ?

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

The obvious answer is the Embiid injury derailed them. They were 2nd in the East before that, they ended up 7th.

Looking more into it, they probably had issues integrating the players they signed at the deadline (e.g. Hield) into the team when Embiid came back. I feel like Embiid is a difficult player to play alongside. He has so much gravity, both on the opposition and on this team as well. I looked at his usage this season on Basketball-reference and compared him with Luka this season, Shaq in 2000, Kobe in 2009, Jordan in 1992 and LeBum in 2012 and he's at 39.6% usage, the next is Luka at 36%, the rest are in the 31%-32%.

That can be interpreted 2 ways - Joel is a ball hog, and he doesn't have enough support so he has to do everything. Both things can also be true. If you look at each game, Joel and Maxey are usually at least 50% of the total shots taken for Philly.

I also feel like for a championship to be won the whole team needs to be willing to sacrifice. I'm not sure if Joel is willing to sacrifice, because that requires you to change your game. In fact this season before he got hurt I think he was pushing for his 2nd MVP. Back when Harden was there Harden sacrificed but he seemed to be the only one sacrificing and he ended up worse off for it, both financially and reputation wise. Maxey is trying to get paid, trying to make ASG and All NBA teams, I don't know if he's in the right stage of his career to sacrifice.

If you look at the Cs, we had a super talented team in 2018-19 that didn't go anywhere because nobody wanted to sacrifice and everyone's goals were misaligned. This year there's much more evidence of maturity and a willingness to sacrifice than there has been in the past. I don't see that with Philly.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Obviously I know Embiid missed more time than usual, but you still play to win the game.

They were on pace for 65 wins in games he played.  I don't see that as a coaching deficiency.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

They were on pace for 65 wins in games he played.  I don't see that as a coaching deficiency.
Brett Brown's last year they won at a 63 win pace with Embiid, same as Rivers first year.  I guess those weren't coaching deficiencies either then, correct?