Author Topic: What is the price for Deandre Ayton  (Read 6562 times)

Re: What is the price for Deandre Ayton
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There's a reason the Suns want to dump Ayton. He is soft and shrinks under the bright lights.

Not the kind of guy we need on a team with mental toughness issues.
They have to trade him because of their depth and salary structure.  He is basically the only piece they have to add depth to their roster.

If money is no object to the C's, I've proposed this on here before and I still think it makes sense.

Ayton, Paul

for

Smart, Brogdon, Pritchard, Gallinari

I'd do that even with knowing Paul is going to get hurt at some point.  I'd try Ayron and Rob at least at the start of the year and see how they fit.

So Boston

Starters - Paul, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Ayton
Main bench - White, Hauser, Grant, Muscala, Rob
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2023, 07:17:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What concerns me most about Ayton is his total lack of improvement. He has 5 seasons in the NBA now, 348 total games (inc. playoffs), and we have seen no improvement. He is the same scorer, rebounder, defender, passer, everything! How is that even possible?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2023, 07:55:39 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I don't want an overpriced, lazy guy that gets pouty when he doesn't get offensive touches. If you're going to go past the second apron, you might as well just trade your picks and get an actual third star.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 08:12:11 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
What concerns me most about Ayton is his total lack of improvement. He has 5 seasons in the NBA now, 348 total games (inc. playoffs), and we have seen no improvement. He is the same scorer, rebounder, defender, passer, everything! How is that even possible?

Perhaps him and Ben Simmons have the same trainer
Greg

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 08:26:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Perhaps him and Ben Simmons have the same trainer
Lol. At least Ayton hasn't actively regressed (yet)

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 08:39:45 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Isn’t Ayton making max money now? Any deal for him would have to include JB i think. Otherwise, how can you retain the salaries of JT, JB, and Ayton?

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 09:21:29 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Isn’t Ayton making max money now? Any deal for him would have to include JB i think. Otherwise, how can you retain the salaries of JT, JB, and Ayton?

Exactly, this would be a "go for it" move. I would only trade for a third guy making big money if it's actually a star to take you over the top. In that situation, you wouldn't mind surpassing the 2nd apron because your team should be a real contender. Ayton is a lazy and soft. We don't have a strong enough locker room to keep him working hard anyway.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 09:27:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

You can't. Its not tenable. Its the exact reason PHO is looking to move him right now, trying to break up his salary into smaller pieces to fit around their two max guys to fill out depth.

Honestly i like what Robert Williams gives you more than Ayton at about 1/3 the price. You don't pay a center 30+ million unless its a Jokic or Embiid type.

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 12:04:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Is Ayton even good? Because I don't think so. Isn't a good shooter, doesn't get to the FT line, not a great rim protector or switch defender. he just doesn't do a lot you actually want a center to do.

Guy just got benched in Phoenix in the second round for some 7 foot stiff I'd never even heard of before.

Agree 100%. He looks to me like Greg Monroe 2.0, or Jaleel Okafor. Too slow to compete in the modern NBA. Doesn't pass. No feel for the game. Gets rebounds and points due to sheer size - not talent, competitiveness, or BBIQ. He doesn't play team ball. Doesn't make plays. He is just.... there.

Once his albatross contract is up he'll be making closer to MLE money than what he's making right now. And even then, I'm not sure I'd want him on my team.

I am a fan of Ayton. I like his game.

His defense is under-rated. He is good to very good at every task you want your center to be able to do. At man defense on post player, man defense on face up quick bigs, man defense against perimeter bigs. Team defense with transition D, PnR D, switching, closing out onto shooters, defensive rotations, contesting shots at the basket. He does everything well to very well on defense.

Being a well-rounded defender is undervalued. Guys with major strengths but also significant weaknesses tend to get overvalued defensively whereas guys like Ayton get undervalued.

Ayton is also a tremendous rebounder. Something this team could badly use. Especially after how we got beaten up on the boards by Bam and the pint-sized Miami Heat in the ECF. A center who hoovers up the defensive glass would be great appreciated.

Ayton is also an under-rated offensive player. He is a very good midrange shoot from 14-17 feet. He is an excellent short jump shot shooter at 10-12 feet. He has has runners and floaters. He has excellent body control and is able to make 1-2 dribble drives to get around defenders and get to the basket. He is an excellent finisher around the rim. He has a post game and score one-on-one out of the post. He is a strong scorer as a roller off of PnRs, cuts and offensive rebounds. He scores well in transition.

He does not pass well and he does not shoot beyond the midrange. And he hardly ever gets to the FT line. Very efficient scorer from the floor but lack of FTs stops him being uber-efficient.

Main knock on Ayton's skill-level is that he is not a dominant player defensively merely a good to very good one. That he is not a dominant player offensively merely an above average one.

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2023, 12:05:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
He feels like the kind of guy Boston fans would end up eating alive.

Yeah. It is a pity we cannot accept him for what he is which is a good 3rd option and instead view him for what he could be which with his tremendous gifts and quality is skills is a perennial All-Star if not All-NBA center. It would be a lot easier for all involved if we could.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2023, 12:09:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
They have to trade him because of their depth and salary structure.  He is basically the only piece they have to add depth to their roster.
I don't think they should trade Ayton.

They had a solid bench last year only their coach Monty Williams didn't use them. He didn't use Terrence Ross. He didn't use TJ Warren. They had useful backup bigs in Landale and Biyombo. They had Damion Lee on the wing. Shamet also. Cameron Payne at PG. That is an average bench.

And that was after hurting their depth to get Durant. Give them a full summer to revamp and improve that group, and they can put together and even better group of bench players.

Plus, they have a new coach. Let's see if he uses their bench talent better than Monty did who I thought was awful for Phoenix in the playoffs. I also thought he did an awful job coaching Ayton throughout his tenure there. I'd like to see what a new coach could do with Ayton too if I were Phoenix.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2023, 12:16:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Some of the character concerns with Ayton remind me of Robert Parish prior to coming to Boston. He doesn't care enough. He puts up nice numbers but he doesn't impact the game enough. Doesn't move the needle. Not a dominant center. A moody player. Generally regarded as a disappointment.

Despite being a 17ppg 11rpg 2bpg 50% FG% player with good D. Again similar to Ayton.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2023, 04:08:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Some of the character concerns with Ayton remind me of Robert Parish prior to coming to Boston. He doesn't care enough. He puts up nice numbers but he doesn't impact the game enough. Doesn't move the needle. Not a dominant center. A moody player. Generally regarded as a disappointment.

Despite being a 17ppg 11rpg 2bpg 50% FG% player with good D. Again similar to Ayton.
Ayton hasn't averaged over 0.8BPG for 2 years, and has never averaged more than 2. Miles off the defensive impact of Parish

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2023, 02:40:11 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about sending Horford and Brogdon to Phoenix then flipping Ayton to Toronto for Siakim? Toronto in more of a position to reset with a young guy. We get 3rd star and Phoenix gets more experience.  Shamet to Boston and Payne to Toronto to balance out salaries.

Would need to find another center because I'm sure we don't want to role with Rob, Muscala, and Kornet only.

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2023, 03:40:49 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
There's a reason the Suns want to dump Ayton. He is soft and shrinks under the bright lights.

Not the kind of guy we need on a team with mental toughness issues.

If money is no object to the C's, I've proposed this on here before and I still think it makes sense.

Ayton, Paul

for

Smart, Brogdon, Pritchard, Gallinari

I'd do that even with knowing Paul is going to get hurt at some point.  I'd try Ayron and Rob at least at the start of the year and see how they fit.

So Boston

Starters - Paul, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Ayton
Main bench - White, Hauser, Grant, Muscala, Rob

I would love Ayton on the Celtics, I just don't think they are giving him up for that. We love Smart here I get it, but I don't believe he is viewed that highly around the league. Brogdon? We got him for nothing for a reason. Was Great coming off the bench, but he Still got hurt. So why would the Suns do it? Ayton is there only real chip to get a great player back. So who would they realisticly take In a trade? Probably JB, and I would say No way!