Author Topic: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019  (Read 12895 times)

Re: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Like Cam Johnson because his shooting is an actuality and not "fixable" or a possible upside projection, but honestly, the more I look at this draft the more I want to do the AD deal regardless of KI's decision. The other point is that if we are keeping these picks and not making a significant deal, do we really need more "3 and D" wing players, especially since most of these guys seem to be "3 or D"?

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Like Cam Johnson because his shooting is an actuality and not "fixable" or a possible upside projection, but honestly, the more I look at this draft the more I want to do the AD deal regardless of KI's decision. The other point is that if we are keeping these picks and not making a significant deal, do we really need more "3 and D" wing players, especially since most of these guys seem to be "3 or D"?

Trading picks for AD isn’t the problem. It’s trading really good young players( Tatum/Brown/Smart) for AD and then losing him as a FA after th season.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 07:56:50 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Trading picks for AD isn’t the problem. It’s trading really good young players( Tatum/Brown/Smart) for AD and then losing him as a FA after th season.

I understand totally that the core of the trade would be Tatum and Smart is a necessary part of the trade for cap purposes. Hopefully, we can keep Brown out of the deal. I was just commenting on the picks aspect of the deal. To me, only the loss of the future Memphis pick would be potentially painful. I suspect that Ainge is willing to take a Leonard/George style swing at the plate to grab a top 5 player. Without such a player this is simply a nice  team that is essentially treading water as a middle of the pack playoff team.

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I understand totally that the core of the trade would be Tatum and Smart is a necessary part of the trade for cap purposes. Hopefully, we can keep Brown out of the deal. I was just commenting on the picks aspect of the deal. To me, only the loss of the future Memphis pick would be potentially painful. I suspect that Ainge is willing to take a Leonard/George style swing at the plate to grab a top 5 player. Without such a player this is simply a nice  team that is essentially treading water as a middle of the pack playoff team.

Smart being defensive 1st team this year makes our trade offer much better....

Re: Kentucky G Tyler Herro to work out for Boston
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Some people should really watch college ball before commenting on some highlight videos or someone else's scouting reports, while cherry picking some flaws. This isn't a good draft but some have enough strengths to make a living and contribute to the team. Herro can ball is all I have to say. It may take a couple of years to work on what he does well and work it into his game. He's going to be a lights out shooter and he can move a bit as well. I would take him with one of the late first rounders, depending on what happens earlier in the draft.

Edit: Can we also not start a thread after every time a prospect works out for the C's? I believe there's a similar thread (draft combine/interview thread) for this type of discussion? Or at least start one for all prospects that the C's work out?
I'm not questioning his ability to play ball, it's just that his playstyle and physical attributes don't really fit what we should be doing to upgrade our roster (get mobile and skilled size in the frontcourt while not downsizing our backcourt of a medium sized PG plus Brown).
Picking in the early 20's we should hope to just draft someone who can play. Having a particular strength goes a long way. He could turn out to be James Young for all I know. But he has some size where he can get his shot off coming off the bench. Not looking for him to be Redick.
I think we should swing for the fences and select a guy with good measurables and a positive background check. It's the above logic that made us pass on Giannis at #13 (obviously no one could've expected Giannis to grow 4 inches, but he would still be a star if he was a 6'9 forward with guard level handles).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Do a mock trade for AD and you will quickly see some holes in the roster. Are bench is crazy thin after the trade. We would need draft picks. It all boils down to what Danny is going to have to give up for him.

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 01:25:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Do a mock trade for AD and you will quickly see some holes in the roster. Are bench is crazy thin after the trade. We would need draft picks. It all boils down to what Danny is going to have to give up for him.
Yeah, our bench would be less than ideal assuming we trade Smart+Tatum+all 4 picks we have. We'll probably have to make do with using the taxpayer's MLE to sign a quality backup PG, then use mins to round out the roster (we'll probably need a SG/SF, PF and C after the trade, the C is insurance if Baynes gets hurt again, and no Theis is not the answer).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 02:14:18 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Yeah, our bench would be less than ideal assuming we trade Smart+Tatum+all 4 picks we have. We'll probably have to make do with using the taxpayer's MLE to sign a quality backup PG, then use mins to round out the roster (we'll probably need a SG/SF, PF and C after the trade, the C is insurance if Baynes gets hurt again, and no Theis is not the answer).

Exactly. I’m in totally loss for what to do at this point.

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 04:04:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Exactly. I’m in totally loss for what to do at this point.
I mean if we sign the right people it'd still be serviceable, the bench will probably be something like Joseph/Ellington/Green/Morris/Baynes while we start Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/AD. Really depends on which Hayward will we see next season-I think we need 80% of prime Utah Hayward to be able to contend, and he can't go cold when he doesn't get to shoot the ball a lot like this season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Looks like the Celtics have a workout scheduled with Nassir Little

He is 100% the type of player I could see DA targeting at #14 or in a trade up.

https://twitter.com/rodboone/status/1134523551799762944
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Yes yes. 100% on board with him. I hope we draft him. Even if we bring in AD, I'm 99.99% sure he will have a similar trajectory like Brown does.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2019, 04:51:40 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Really nice work here being done by Max Carlin

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1129478507980042240

So looking at the list and the BB rankings (I don't know what BB is), I see a bunch of guys without a ranking and 4 guys with a ranking:

Brandon Clarke at #4 (seems very high)
Cam Johnson at #21
Tyler Herro at #27 (seems kinda low)
Nassir Little at #28 (definitely seems low)

Assuming we put some degree of stock in the rankings, aside from Brandon Clarke and his fluky ranking, everyone we're looking at is in the #20-22 range and not the #14 range.

Does this imply that we may be trading #14, and possibly either #20 or #22, for AD?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Really nice work here being done by Max Carlin

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1129478507980042240

So looking at the list and the BB rankings (I don't know what BB is), I see a bunch of guys without a ranking and 4 guys with a ranking:

Brandon Clarke at #4 (seems very high)
Cam Johnson at #21
Tyler Herro at #27 (seems kinda low)
Nassir Little at #28 (definitely seems low)

Assuming we put some degree of stock in the rankings, aside from Brandon Clarke and his fluky ranking, everyone we're looking at is in the #20-22 range and not the #14 range.

Does this imply that we may be trading #14, and possibly either #20 or #22, for AD?

I wouldn't make any assumptions based on the bolded being true. Even if we were planning to unload the 14th pick, we would be stupid not to do our due diligence about players in that range (in case deals fell through or a player dropped)

I would just assume that, based on the past NCAA season and the draft combine, Danny and the rest of the organization have different rankings
I'm bitter.

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Yes yes. 100% on board with him. I hope we draft him. Even if we bring in AD, I'm 99.99% sure he will have a similar trajectory like Brown does.

If we bring AD, unlikely we will get to draft him.

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Add

Bruno Fernando

And

Naz Reid

To the list of players Cs have workouts out. Both have the offensive skills to be first round picks but I wouldn’t be thrilled if the Cs draft either of them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:08:34 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet