Author Topic: Microsoft Excel question  (Read 2995 times)

Microsoft Excel question
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I want to link a number total from one Excel doc into another report that's also in Excel.

Is there a formula for this?

Re: Microsoft Excel question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I want to link a number total from one Excel doc into another report that's also in Excel.

Is there a formula for this?

Are you linking between two sheets in the same file or separate documents?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:32:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Let me put it this way. I have a report that I do every day with numbers that total in different categories. I want these numbers to link separately into an end of the month report without me having to go into every doc and physically copy and paste.

Is this possible?

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Separate docs, SW.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think what you want is to "copy" the cell(s) from the source sheet. Then, in the destination file, click "paste special," then "paste link."

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just type in an equal sign on the cell where you want the info to appear, then open up the data source sheet and click on the cell where the source info is coming from.  It will show up with a command something like:  =[docname.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$3

and should give you the result you're looking for
Yup

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
If anyone can tell me if there is a way to the following, I'd love them forever  ;).

When you copy and paste a formula Excel adjust for the position of where you are pasting it.

For a simple example, if I copied the formula "=A1 + 2" from cell B1 and pasted it to B2  the formula in B2 would adjust to  "=B1 + 2". 

What I would like to achieve is keeping part of the formula fixed on a specific cell no matter where I paste it. Basically, using the example above I'd like paste it into B2, but still have it read the value in A1 instead of B1.

Is this possible?  If so, how?

Thanks
Yup

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If anyone can tell me if there is a way to the following, I'd love them forever  ;).

When you copy and paste a formula Excel adjust for the position of where you are pasting it.

For a simple example, if I copied the formula "=A1 + 2" from cell B1 and pasted it to B2  the formula in B2 would adjust to  "=B1 + 2". 

What I would like to achieve is keeping part of the formula fixed on a specific cell no matter where I paste it. Basically, using the example above I'd like paste it into B2, but still have it read the value in A1 instead of B1.

Thanks
Hit F4 to anchor the cell reference, $A$1 will always refer to A1.

You can also Anchor just the row A$1 or just the column $A1.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Another way is to create a named reference (like "data") using the name manager. This lets you create easy short cuts for entire tables.

For example I'm using a zip code table instead of refering to the tab and the cell range as =zip!A1:B41281 I can just say =zip.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Thanks
Hit F4 to anchor the cell reference, $A$1 will always refer to A1.

You can also Anchor just the row A$1 or just the column $A1.

Thanks Faf

I've spent a bazillion hours on Excel over the years, but have been mostly self taught from messing around.  I knew there was a way.

Thank you thank you.
Yup