Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 355099 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #435 on: November 17, 2016, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Does anyone think that Utah's whole roster is injury prone?

Unfortunately, yeah. I think that's gonna be one of, if not THE, biggest hindrance to their ability to reach their ceiling.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #436 on: November 17, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Saric has now been benched in favor of a journeyman that's been on the team for about 2 weeks. That's very encouraging.
hes been the 2nd best rookie in the league behind Embiid.

If you ignore FG% sure.
No...  Saric has flat-out been the 2nd best rookie in the league.  Period.  He's averaging 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists while shooting 41% from three.   That makes him the 2nd best rookie so far.   Then there's a bit of a dropoff to Malcolm Brogdon at #3.

Saric also lead his team in field goal attempts last night, was top 3 in minutes... and is leading all rookies in minutes per game (26.9).   Per usual, Eddie's comment about him being "benched" was asinine.  He's started more games than any rookie this year (10).  Lol

« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Saric has now been benched in favor of a journeyman that's been on the team for about 2 weeks. That's very encouraging.

If you ignore FG% sure.
He's averaging 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists while shooting 41% from three.   

ok but he's shooting 38% from the field overall. you can't deny that. that's almost as bad as what Marcus shot last year. you know, the "historically bad" shooting year.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #438 on: November 17, 2016, 05:26:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If you ignore FG% sure.

ok but he's shooting 38% from the field overall. you can't deny that. that's almost as bad as what Marcus shot last year. you know, the "historically bad" shooting year.
Are you referring to Marcus Smart's second season in which he literally had the worst three point shooting in NBA history?  No, Saric's first 11 games do not compare to that.

« Reply #439 on: November 17, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If you ignore FG% sure.
No...  Saric has flat-out been the 2nd best rookie in the league.  Period.  He's averaging 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists while shooting 41% from three.   That makes him the 2nd best rookie so far.   Then there's a bit of a dropoff to Malcolm Brogdon at #3.

Saric also lead his team in field goal attempts last night, was top 3 in minutes... and is leading all rookies in minutes per game (26.9).   Per usual, Eddie's comment about him being "benched" was asinine.  He's started more games than any rookie this year (10).  Lol

Saric also has a PER of 8.3.  By comparison, Jaylen Brown's PER is 13.5.

Mike

« Reply #440 on: November 17, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If you ignore FG% sure.

Saric also has a PER of 8.3.  By comparison, Jaylen Brown's PER is 13.5.

Mike

PER is a terrible statistic unless we're comparing the relative values of Marcus Smart and Nerlens Noel:

« Reply #441 on: November 17, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

7 rebounds and 41% from three is impressive, but not sure it helps his case in the rookie ladder by leading all rookies in mpg. I imagine even a guy like Brown could put up 10ppg if given the opportunity to play 27mpg...even on an unhorrible team like the Cs.

Saric is proving to be okay, but he is also being given all the opportunity in the world to succeed. Lest we not forget what being good (even ROTY) on the Sixers can mean.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:46:47 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

If you ignore FG% sure.

Are you referring to Marcus Smart's second season in which he literally had the worst three point shooting in NBA history?  No, Saric's first 11 games do not compare to that.

if you can cherry-pick stats, i can cherry-pick stats

marcus shot 34% from the field last year. that's worse than the 35% kobe shot last year, which was also seen as one of the worst shooting years from anyone in the modern era. also worse than the 36% that Mudiay shot last year, which ranks on here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/trailers/fg_pct_season.html) as one of the worst shooting seasons in the modern era (i'm confused why Smart isnt on the list, though, his percentages were worse than Mudiay's)

Saric is shooting 38%. that's just 4% away from smart, just 3% away from Kobe, and jus 2% away from Mudiay. he's having an awful year shooting the ball from the field. there's no other way around it. it's very close to the historically bad shooting percentages that marcus, kobe, and mudiay all had from the field last season.

« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Saric has been benched for a journeyman. Doesn't Brown realize the "rookie", who turns 23 in April, is a tier 2 prospect and a ROTY candidate?

Saric will come off the bench in Wednesday's game against the Wizards, Tom Moore of Calkins Media reports. Head coach Brett Brown said he wants to take the pressure of Saric and get the rookie more looks with the second unit. Ersan Ilyasova will start in Saric's place.

« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Saric has been benched for a journeyman. Doesn't Brown realize the "rookie", who turns 23 in April, is a tier 2 prospect and a ROTY candidate?

Saric will come off the bench in Wednesday's game against the Wizards, Tom Moore of Calkins Media reports. Head coach Brett Brown said he wants to take the pressure of Saric and get the rookie more looks with the second unit. Ersan Ilyasova will start in Saric's place.

This Saric debate is probably not necessary. It really is too tough to tell how good he is so far.

« Reply #445 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If you ignore FG% sure.

I'm not cherry picking stats.  I'm saying he's flat out the 2nd best rookie so far this season.  Check any ranking.

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/16/rookie-ladder-week-3-2016-17-kris-dunn-shrinking-role-timberwolves

"Saric is second in the class in scoring, second in rebounding, third in 3-point percentage, 16th in field-goal percentage and first in minutes."

Embiid #1 ... big gap... Saric #2 ... big gap...  Brogdon #3, Delaney #4, Hernangomez #5, Ingram #6 and Jaylen #7

As flawed as Saric may be right now, every other rookie has been worse.   Saric has started more games than every other rookie and is averaging more minutes than every other rookie.   To call out that he was "benched in favor of a journeyman" was obviously intended as a trollish anti-Sixers comment, especially considering the long history of trollish comments from that member of this forum.   Fact is, even despite his "benching", he was 3rd on the team in minutes and had more field goal attempts than anyone else on the team.  Saric's rookie season is going fine by any comparable measure (literally every 2016 draftee has been worse).

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:13:56 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #446 on: November 17, 2016, 06:13:26 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

If you ignore FG% sure.

I'm not cherry picking stats.  I'm saying he's flat out the 2nd best rookie so far this season.  Check any ranking.

you're clearly cherry picking when you fail to recognize that he's shooting a horrible percentage from the field, but proudly say that he's shooting well from 3, when in reality over 70% of his field goal attempts aren't even 3 pointers -- meaning, he's shooting a horrible, horrible percentage everywhere else, and hence he has a horrible, horrible field goal percentage overall.

« Reply #447 on: November 17, 2016, 06:14:29 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
These threads are no longer fun.

« Reply #448 on: November 17, 2016, 06:14:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If you ignore FG% sure.

you're clearly cherry picking when you fail to recognize that he's shooting a horrible percentage from the field, but proudly say that he's shooting well from 3, when in reality over 70% of his field goal attempts aren't even 3 pointers -- meaning, he's shooting a horrible, horrible percentage everywhere else, and hence he has a horrible, horrible field goal percentage overall.
Saric is second in the class in scoring, second in rebounding, third in 3-point percentage, 16th in field-goal percentage and first in minutes.  Collectively, he's been the 2nd best rookie so far this year.  Bottom line end of story.  Find me someone other than Embiid who has been better... you can't, because so far this rookie class has sucked outside of Joel Embiid.

And despite Eddie's transparent efforts to troll, Saric getting "benched" isn't relevant until some rookie other than Saric starts 10 games this season.   Saric was never expected to start this year in the first place... him leading all rookies in minutes and starts is a surprise.  He still got plenty of minutes last night off the bench in their big win against the Wizards.   

To me, that read like a Celtic fan frustrated that #3 pick Jaylen Brown lost his starting role and has only averaged 13 minutes over the past 5 games despite having two of our best players injured.  NBA.com summed up Jaylen's recent stretch like this:

his impact is clearly fading. Brown has scored more than eight points once in the last five games and has had some bad moments, as well as good, on defense. He also hasn’t broken 20 minutes since Nov. 6. The No. 3 pick is on the verge of joining the unranked.

Randomly attacking the 2nd best rookie in the class, Dario Saric, seems like a reactionary response to that.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:22:47 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #449 on: November 17, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
All I'm going to say is I find it impressive that the 6ers have six lottery picks in the last four years on their roster, including apparently the two best rookies this year, are 2-9, and people still think that team has it made.  Four years of tanking and pick acquisition, 6 lottery picks, and still dead last. 

But keep on denying reality.  Praise the Embiid pick while ignoring that he can't play back-to-backs and is averaging nearly 5 turnovers per game, and two years of a rookie contract were wasted.  Tout Noel, who's injured yet again, and will either be traded for not that much, walk as a free agent, or paid $20+ million per year to not start.  Go gaga over Saric, who's supposed to be some kind of point-forward and yet has more turnovers than assists, and not many assists at that.  Ignore that he's a mediocre player who's being forcefed minutes on a terrible team.

If I ran this place, I might ban 76ers commentary.  There are so many more interesting teams to talk about in this league.