Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83564 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
NO WAY trade Rondo...absolutly NOT....there is no better pg out there...is Superman available...? So tell me, you want derrick rose.....injury.....deron..no...not even 1/2 as good a ball handler and passerr as rondo, chris paul....he is 2x the hot head......you guys bail way to easy, and still have this mentality.."We'll just get someone else, we are the Celtics"....Didn't the off season teach you that the rest of the world doesn't really feel they need to come here...Trading Rondo is the worst idea I have heard this YEAR...!!!

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd trade him to OKC for Harden and a couple of unprotected firsts. He'd be happy to be reunited with Perk so we do the kid a solid. Westbrook can finally move over to his more natural position of shooting guard and keep jacking them up and Rondo can be the conductor of a very potent offensive attack. Not to mention OKC can't re-sign both Ibaka and Harden. One of them has to go. My money is they keep the big. At least that's the traditional GM move.

We get a premier upcoming SG in Harden in a league where they are few and far between seemingly. He can slide right in and start instead of haveing to come off the bench because let's face it ray ray is off to greener pastures after this year. And we sign Goran Dragic who's an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Kid plays with fire can light it up in numerous ways he just needs a starting gig permanently. Someone's gonna grab him i personally wish it was the C's. Those two with our young core and picks would be a great. We move Avery Bradley while his stock is high and i bet we can get a very good offer.

Good locker room guys. Very young and talented. The PG and SG spot would be set for years. We could focus our energies on finding the core bigs from that spot going forward. And dangling AB would certainly help in our search obviously.
A backcourt of Goran Dragic + James Harden would be very attractive.

Avery Bradley off the bench as a combo guard. Three man backcourt rotation. Nice.

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
NO chance OKC does Harden for Rondo.

They're talking about amnestying Perkins to resign him and Ibaka.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Let's look back at this thread at the end of the playoffs and see if we still think trading Rondo is a good idea? Personally I think he will tie or break an all time playoff record in this years playoffs and I think specifically it will be most assists in a playoff game or most combinded assists and rebounds fro a playoff game.

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Moving Rondo for pennies on the dollar is just not a smart move.
Pennies on the Dollar?  Where did you get this idea?  No one is suggesting and certainly we can trust that DA wouldn't trade him just to dump him.  Trades will be explored though.

We are now 7-4 in games without him this year.  Think the Clipps would be 7-4 without CP or the Nets without Williams?  Rondo is not indispensable.  I think we could get good value back for him and trades should be explored.

« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Pennies on the Dollar?  Where did you get this idea?  No one is suggesting and certainly we can trust that DA wouldn't trade him just to dump him.  Trades will be explored though.

We are now 7-4 in games without him this year.  Think the Clipps would be 7-4 without CP or the Nets without Williams?  Rondo is not indispensable.  I think we could get good value back for him and trades should be explored.
Exactly.  And I think there are plenty of teams out there that would be interested in Rondo and I think the Celtics could get solid value with the potential for more value (depending on draft picks and what not). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2012, 07:26:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
NO WAY trade Rondo...absolutly NOT....there is no better pg out there...is Superman available...? So tell me, you want derrick rose.....injury.....deron..no...not even 1/2 as good a ball handler and passerr as rondo, chris paul....he is 2x the hot head......you guys bail way to easy, and still have this mentality.."We'll just get someone else, we are the Celtics"....Didn't the off season teach you that the rest of the world doesn't really feel they need to come here...Trading Rondo is the worst idea I have heard this YEAR...!!!

Well said.

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:35 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

The tone of this whole thread is that Rondo "needs" to be traded because he got ejected from Game 1.

If you think that another team is going to give you full value for Rondo when you are forcing a trade because you don't like his emotional composition, you are out of your mind.  Why would a team trade dollar-for-dollar when you are dealing from weakness?

Look at what Utah and Denver did with Deron and Melo.  Those were must trades.  Had to happen.  Did they get full value for them?  I think most people would argue that Denver didn't get one player anywhere close to Melo's market value.  They got some nice complementary players and a borderline future All-Star in Gallinari. No one that sums up to Melo, a top-5 NBA All-Pro.  Utah got Favors and some picks...I am not the biggest Deron Williams fan but at the time he was the 2nd best PG in the league, so we'll see how that works out.

I think Orlando lucked out a bit by getting Dwight to stay for another year.  At least now they can pretend like they don't have to trade him, and they can explore best options available.  If they traded him at the deadline this year no doubt they would have gotten below market value for him.

Same thing was happening with Rondo this year.  Gasol for Rondo?  Ridiculous.  Rondo must return a bonafide NBA all-star, or a couple lottery talents.  He is a top-3 PG right now, in his prime.  I put him ahead of D-Will at the moment.  So to put that in context, we would need to get something like Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, and multiple 1st rounders in retrun for Rondo.  I don't see anyone giving that up.

« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
No!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2012, 09:19:23 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Crazy talk.

This tea, can hang with anyone in the NBA in a series and would not surprise anyone by winning it all. The team includes Rondo. Rondo is the best player on the team? See where I'm going with this?

« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The tone of this whole thread is that Rondo "needs" to be traded because he got ejected from Game 1.
You have misread the tone of this thread, that isn't it at all.  The ejection from game 1 is just the continuation of a long line of problems resulting from Rondo's attitude.  His attitude is why he needs to go.  It is what keeps him from reaching his full potential and the next level (he shows flashes of what he could be, but lets his emotion and attitude affect his consistency to a level I can't recall in any one else).  The ejection was caused by his underlying attitude problem and that isn't going to go away because I don't believe it is a maturity issue.  I think it is just the way Rondo is and I don't see that improving, which means he will never be the player he could become.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68

Exactly.  And I think there are plenty of teams out there that would be interested in Rondo and I think the Celtics could get solid value with the potential for more value (depending on draft picks and what not).  

I have a feeling that with all the Rondo trade rumors that have come up over the years, if he was valued around the league the way Danny and we, as fans, value him, he would be gone.

What sold me on this fact was when the Hornets were coveting Stephen Curry over him in a potential CP3 trade.

They would rather have Curry who can't stay healthy over a durable, pass first PG on a very reasonable contract in Rondo! That's insane if you ask me but then again maybe I am overvaluing our players which happens a lot on this site when I look at potential trade scenarios that are published.

Overall, I think it might be a blessing in disguise that Rondo isn't valued very high because that means we essentially have to keep him and I think that's a good thing.
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
You have misread the tone of this thread, that isn't it at all.  The ejection from game 1 is just the continuation of a long line of problems resulting from Rondo's attitude.  His attitude is why he needs to go.  It is what keeps him from reaching his full potential and the next level (he shows flashes of what he could be, but lets his emotion and attitude affect his consistency to a level I can't recall in any one else).  The ejection was caused by his underlying attitude problem and that isn't going to go away because I don't believe it is a maturity issue.  I think it is just the way Rondo is and I don't see that improving, which means he will never be the player he could become.

Let's not forget what Pierce did earlier in his career.  He received the lion's share of the blame for the collapse of Team USA in 2002.  He got kicked out of a playoff game after an extreme over-reaction to an intentional foul. He was easily baited into bad shots by trash talk from opponents and once spit at the Cavs bench after a fierce round with young LeBron.   He had a pair of disappointing years in terms of shot selection and defensive intensity and took a full year to get with Doc's share the ball program.  Heck, it wasn't so long ago that he lost his cool and threw a gang sign at Al Horford after getting taunted on a missed shot late in a game.

We stuck with Pierce and it paid off.  I expect we'll do the same with Rondo (unless someone comes offering D-Will or CP3 for him).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

If you think that another team is going to give you full value for Rondo when you are forcing a trade because you don't like his emotional composition, you are out of your mind.  Why would a team trade dollar-for-dollar when you are dealing from weakness?

Look at what Utah and Denver did with Deron and Melo.  Those were must trades.  Had to happen.  Did they get full value for them?  I think most people would argue that Denver didn't get one player anywhere close to Melo's market value.  They got some nice complementary players and a borderline future All-Star in Gallinari. No one that sums up to Melo, a top-5 NBA All-Pro.  Utah got Favors and some picks...I am not the biggest Deron Williams fan but at the time he was the 2nd best PG in the league, so we'll see how that works out.

I think Orlando lucked out a bit by getting Dwight to stay for another year.  At least now they can pretend like they don't have to trade him, and they can explore best options available.  If they traded him at the deadline this year no doubt they would have gotten below market value for him.

Same thing was happening with Rondo this year.  Gasol for Rondo?  Ridiculous.  Rondo must return a bonafide NBA all-star, or a couple lottery talents.  He is a top-3 PG right now, in his prime.  I put him ahead of D-Will at the moment.  So to put that in context, we would need to get something like Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, and multiple 1st rounders in retrun for Rondo.  I don't see anyone giving that up.

With all due respect to him, and as much as I hate the Lakers, Pau Gasol is better than any of the other players Utah or Denver got in their trades, by a landslide. People who talk about trading Rondo should actually be encouraged that any team would fathom giving up a player of Gasol's skill for him.

« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
You have misread the tone of this thread, that isn't it at all.  The ejection from game 1 is just the continuation of a long line of problems resulting from Rondo's attitude.  His attitude is why he needs to go.  It is what keeps him from reaching his full potential and the next level (he shows flashes of what he could be, but lets his emotion and attitude affect his consistency to a level I can't recall in any one else).   The ejection was caused by his underlying attitude problem and that isn't going to go away because I don't believe it is a maturity issue.  I think it is just the way Rondo is and I don't see that improving, which means he will never be the player he could become.

Would that be the consistency of 10+ assists a game that he has consistently done over the last 25 games? Sorry, not buying it.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...