Author Topic: Be Safe CBers - Hurricane Irma  (Read 8748 times)

Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
i live on Carolina coast and been though my share , so I feel your pain.   The noise is the scariest thing to me . People that have never been in a 125 mph wind for a day .....well stick your head in a Mac Truck engine compartment and run the engine wide open .  And your home is swaying , creaking , growning , poping .....while the noise is non stop for 8 -12 hours .  Walk outside , and your home is plastered in wet leaves .  Every tree is bare ...if it stands .  I seen 20 ft waves lapping at the tops of the dunes .

This type of storm is not for timid minded folks .   I advise people to seek safety.   

Everybody stay safe .

TP Eddie. Everyone give him a l TP. Mandatory TP's to Eddie.

Thanks, man.

I'm not in an evacuation zone and have all my shutters in place. I'm about 25 miles southwest of downtown Miami, in a rural area.

I'm about two hours south of Tampa over in the God's Waiting Room area of Florida. The National Hurricane Center has their current track such that - quite literally - I may be able to step out of my house into the eye.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
i live on Carolina coast and been though my share , so I feel your pain.   The noise is the scariest thing to me . People that have never been in a 125 mph wind for a day .....well stick your head in a Mac Truck engine compartment and run the engine wide open .  And your home is swaying , creaking , growning , poping .....while the noise is non stop for 8 -12 hours .  Walk outside , and your home is plastered in wet leaves .  Every tree is bare ...if it stands .  I seen 20 ft waves lapping at the tops of the dunes .

This type of storm is not for timid minded folks .   I advise people to seek safety.   

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

I'm not in an evacuation zone and have all my shutters in place. I'm about 25 miles southwest of downtown Miami, in a rural area.

I'm about two hours south of Tampa over in the God's Waiting Room area of Florida. The National Hurricane Center has their current track such that - quite literally - I may be able to step out of my house into the eye.

Port Charlotte?

Re: Be Safe CBers - Hurricane Irma
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Good luck people!! I'm in Lakeland and my aunt came here from Miami (can't believe people are staying in their boats out there).

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »

Offline jpurthe1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

Port Charlotte?

He meant Naples, the stepping stone to heaven.

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

Port Charlotte?

Just outside Punta Gorda

We're going to get bombed.

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

Port Charlotte?

Just outside Punta Gorda

Sadly yes you are.  In the really bad '04 and '05 seasons lived on the east coast and lost powerfor over a week, had damage and toppled trees from Cat 1/2, Wilma and others.  West coast has always been particularly vulnerable due to the terrain and very 'suggestible' warm waters from the Gulf.

I moved from Tampa to Denver three months ago and while I know everything will be ok for you guys, Florida residents and our family and friends, its still hard to know that you are going to be experiencing some challenging times ahead.  Good luck and say safe.

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

Port Charlotte?

Just outside Punta Gorda

Sadly yes you are.  In the really bad '04 and '05 seasons lived on the east coast and lost powerfor over a week, had damage and toppled trees from Cat 1/2, Wilma and others.  West coast has always been particularly vulnerable due to the terrain and very 'suggestible' warm waters from the Gulf.

I moved from Tampa to Denver three months ago and while I know everything will be ok for you guys, Florida residents and our family and friends, its still hard to know that you are going to be experiencing some challenging times ahead.  Good luck and say safe.

The shelters are over-full. A curfew is in effect. Storm surge of 10 feet predicted. Winds sustained over 100 MPH for multiple hours and hurricane-force for close to 12 hours. We should have an hour or two when we're dealing with sustained winds of 120+ and gusts up to 150.

It really can't be overstated that this is just about the worst-case scenario for SW FL. Some scary times down here.

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
So far it is only breezy with light rain here in Clearwater.  I am not in an evac. zone, and am about five miles from the Gulf.  May be a direct hit for us.  We are prepared and are hosting two others (and two cats) .  Just started "the Green Mile" so if the electricity goes out I will be all set😉
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

Port Charlotte?

Just outside Punta Gorda

The shelters are over-full. A curfew is in effect. Storm surge of 10 feet predicted. Winds sustained over 100 MPH for multiple hours and hurricane-force for close to 12 hours. We should have an hour or two when we're dealing with sustained winds of 120+ and gusts up to 150.

It really can't be overstated that this is just about the worst-case scenario for SW FL. Some scary times down here.

I assume you've lost power, but I hope you're still hanging tough.

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Living in Tampa it has been a roller coaster of emotions over the past week.  Rarely does a hurricane directly hit here, and when Irma shifted on Friday to path to us it was absolute mayhem.  There were lines for any lumber and hardware you could get, and I was fortunate enough to get 8 4x8 sheets of 3/4" particle board.  This covers 60% of my windows, and we prepared for the worst the past 48 hours.  But thankfully the recent updates show that it won't be quite as bad as expected.  Still, we are 8-hours away from the eye passing right over my home.  Having grown up in New England and "daring" to go outside during hurricane Andrew winds back in 1992, Irma is my first real hurricane I'll experience.  Should be interesting!

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Just spent $20 on a flashlight because it's cold, eerily quiet, and feels like the end is nigh in northeast GA. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
 Clearwater made it through with relatively few problems.  We have electricity, although many don't.  The winds dropped to low cat. 1 or even tropical storm strength in Pinellas county as the storm hit.  Some trees came down, but, at least in my community, things are looking good.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Everybody stay safe .

Thanks, man.

Port Charlotte?

Just outside Punta Gorda

I assume you've lost power, but I hope you're still hanging tough.

Power, internet, cell phone service...we lost it all. FPL has done a remarkable job getting things back up and running today.

We were well prepared and we caught a bit of a break. The storm made landfall at Marco Island rather than further north and that dulled the punch a bit. Then it jogged a bit more inland taking a bit more of the punch away. So we got hit by a strong 2 instead of a full-forced 4.

My house and the houses around me are rated to 155 mph so we shrugged it off like a strong thunderstorm except the 40 foot oak that came down in my front yard. The roads flooded a bit but this wasn't a big rain-maker. My neighbors lost their fences and shingles off their roofs. A few lanai cages were sent flying and my neighbor says he has some kickass footage of the peak of the storm just rolling off my house. But we're all good here. It's amazing what good building codes and a couple of days to prepare can do.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I'm on the banks of the Indian River in a condo, right across from Merritt Island, which was evacuated. Our building is like a fortress and came through with only minor nonstructural damage. Lots of tree damage on the grounds, as well as fences and lighting. The riverfront boardwalk sustained significant damage, and the boat docks are a total loss. A few units had breaches of their hurricane shutters, but ours held tight.

Water came back yesterday. we are still without power, cable and internet with no projected return to service. I'm hanging on with solar panels and a battery bank on my south facing balcony, and internet is courtesy of Verizon Wireless, which is offering customers free unlimited data through Friday. I re-activated my dormant Jetpack prior to the storm.

I am providing cell phone and ipad charging for the neighbors.

Those who have been out report that a few gas stations and other businesses are starting to reopen.

All in all, we are inconvenienced but so much more fortunate than some.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.