Author Topic: What players would dominate any generation?  (Read 6641 times)

What players would dominate any generation?
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I personally hate comparing different generations usually because I think each is a by product of the last and of the style and rules at the time but in rare cases certain talents would translate smoothly into the other and I am interested to see if people would have the same list as me.

Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Joel Embiid (if heathy), Giannis Antetokounmpo

I’ve left a few big names out like Wilt, Magic, Shaq because I think their lack of shooting or free throw skill would be detrimental in the modern game.

Thoughts?

Re: What players would dominate any generation?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I like how you just casually throw overrated Joel Embiid into the mix with hall of famers. Seems you've bought into the kool aid. Let's put Tatum and Simmons in there as well.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’ve left a few big names out like Wilt, Magic, Shaq because I think their lack of shooting or free throw skill would be detrimental in the modern game.

Those three would absolutely dominate today. Shaq dominated HOF centers. Who is stopping him today?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wilt & Shaq are the two that immediately come to mind.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man the undeserved Embiid hype is approaching the undeserved Kobe hype.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Those three would absolutely dominate today. Shaq dominated HOF centers. Who is stopping him today?

Agreed.  Shaq in his prime would own the entire league today.  His dominance would require teams to carry more big men to eat up fouls.  We also need to account for the fact that he would benefit from the improved 3 point shooting throughout the league.  Imagine surrounding him with 4 shooters. 

Conditioning is somewhat of a concern for Shaq but I also believe that he would have adjusted to the rest of the league.  I think he would maintain a weight that is closer to his Orlando Magic days.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How do you think Mark Eaton and Manute Bol would do today?

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Opinion:  The notion that Wilt, Shaq and BILL FREAKING RUSSELL would not still be dominant in today's game is just silliness.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
How do you think Mark Eaton and Manute Bol would do today?

Manute was way ahead of his time in terms of being a 7-footer (plus) taking 3's anyhow!
Yup

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Well derrrr...

Yup

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wilt & Shaq are the two that immediately come to mind.

Nailed it.  I watched some Wilt as a little kid .  I was amazed .   Not till Shaq did somebody rule the court .   jabar was also dominate in the day of ruff Big guy basketball. 

MJ , Bird , Kobe , Dr J , and made their mark battling the huge centers and tolerance of very ruff play compared to todays game.   

Guys back then pretty much hated each other and it was blood spilled most games

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »

• Bill Walton
Opinion:  The notion that Wilt, Shaq and BILL FREAKING RUSSELL would not still be dominant in today's game is just silliness.

Bill Russell never really dominated the league in the way Jordan or Larry did, he was the leader and best player on the best team but his career FG% is only 440 and his FT% was 500 and given the pace of the game at the time he never cracked 20 PPG in the regular season, it doesn't mean he wasn't an all time great especially on the defensive end but he wasn't a true dominate force...his Celtics teams were.

Shaq conditioning wise I think he would struggle, remember he played at almost all time slow pace and I think he wouldn't be able to average the same minutes and again his free throws would let him down, it's a bad example I know but Drummond has to sit at the end of games because of his poor free throws and I am sure you would say the same about Shaq. I think defensively too he could keep up getting dragged out to the three point line by versatile forwards, remember I am not talking if a player would be good or great but if the could actually dominate.

Wilt has the same problem as Shaq with his free throws but the more I think about it the more I may need to include him on my list as his athleticism would probably still dwarf most players today.

Magic Johnson can't space the floor and although he was a freak at the time, never went up against guards like todays, he would definitely struggle against keeping with Curry and Westbrook attacking him.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:04:00 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »

• Bill Walton
Man the undeserved Embiid hype is approaching the undeserved Kobe hype.

It's pretty common knowledge amongst legit media figure that Embiid is a hall of fame level talent for someone who only took up the game at 15 and the growth he's made including sitting out 2 years because of injury is amazing, he is a carbon copy of Hakeem...I just don't think his body will allow him to have that dominate career.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Shaq would've probably never been able to shoot in any era - hands were too big, not enough touch on the ball. But if Wilt had been raised in an era where the 3 was a major stat, he'd've learned to shoot it. Dude led the league in assists just to prove he could.

Leaving out Magic and Russell is absurd - absolute worst case scenario Magic is a better Jason Kidd and Russell is a far better Ben Wallace in today's game. More likely their skillsets would've expanded and adapted if they had grown up in the current basketball culture.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bill Russell never really dominated the league in the way Jordan or Larry did, he was the leader and best player on the best team but his career FG% is only 440 and his FT% was 500 and given the pace of the game at the time he never cracked 20 PPG in the regular season, it doesn't mean he wasn't an all time great especially on the defensive end but he wasn't a true dominate force...his Celtics teams were.

He was a 5x MVP. He’s the most dominant defensive player of all-time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes