Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 59797 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Al Horford might very well be underpaid!   :P

TP

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
dont know why anyone would hate on Horford.
There's no shame in not being worth a max contract. You can still be a great player.

He’s far from the worst max contract out there today. It’s what players get paid now.

The truth is a player like LeBron is worth $50M+ but can’t get that. So the teams that can’t get the LeBrons and Durants and Leonards have to get the next level players, even if that means giving the most money they possibly can.

This is the new NBA. And it’s not going anywhere.

I never understood this take. "Players like Lebron are REALLY worth 50M so Horford's contract really isn't that bad".

You can just say players like Lebron are REALLY worth the max, while players like Horford aren't.

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
50 million might be an exaggeration, but the point is that without a max salary limitation, Lebron would likely make much more than he currently does. The max salary in effect subsidizes teams that have the elite players because they can pay them less than they would have if there was no max. The idea that are players are worth less than the max because that's what Lebron makes is flawed, there are only a few elite players. Less than elite players will be able to get the max because there are 20 or more teams that will be competing for those second rank players, any team that refuses to pay max for those guys will end up with third rank players at best. In the end players are worth what teams are willing to pay for them. Fans often have opinions about what players are worth based on how good they think they are, but that's a misguided way to look at it. There is a market, sometimes you can get a player for less than you feared, and sometimes it costs more than you hoped. Al is a max player, there is no doubt about that. You might wish that we didn't need to give him that much, but that is the market. You can't pass on players like that, without Al I don't think you get Kyrie and Gordon.

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
There's no shame in not being worth a max contract. You can still be a great player.

He’s far from the worst max contract out there today. It’s what players get paid now.

The truth is a player like LeBron is worth $50M+ but can’t get that. So the teams that can’t get the LeBrons and Durants and Leonards have to get the next level players, even if that means giving the most money they possibly can.

I never understood this take. "Players like Lebron are REALLY worth 50M so Horford's contract really isn't that bad".

You can just say players like Lebron are REALLY worth the max, while players like Horford aren't.

I think they're just making a valid point about how arbitrary it is.  LeBron is actually worth those values ultimately for business reasons and things too (the fact that he is so good he is getting you to the Finals basically every year adds a lot of value or the fact that he is almost never hurt and hardly misses games).  It's complicated but it just goes to show the argument is basically about some arbitrary rules.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:38:28 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Big Al was all over the place today...bringing the ball up the court, dunking, passing, blocking.....channeling his inner Ray Allen on the clutch J at the end.

Great game by our All-Star.

« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:33 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Care to retract your statement after Horford's gamewinner against the Blazers? 

BTW Horford is among the top passing big men in the lead and oh yeah among the top in defensive rating as well.  Oh and he's shooting 43% from 3...

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2018, 11:16:00 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I mean it’s pretty simple.

The NBA has specific salary structure unlike most (if any) leagues. Players can only get paid a maximum depending on their tenure and status (such as accolades and team rights).

If this was, say, MLB, and Mike Trout becomes a free agent, let the bidding begin. Red Sox can offer a $750M/15yr deal. Yankees can go to a billion if they really want him.

Do you really think if LeBron’s salary wasn’t capped, he couldn’t easily get $50M a year? It’s not even debatable. So yes, LeBron is worth the max... and a whole lot more. Look at what stiffs like Asik get paid.

And that’s why there are players who make as much as LeBron, despite not being nearly as good. It’s not because they aren’t “worth” it, but because LeBron (and some others) are not being paid in a free market.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2018, 11:48:01 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Horford is so [dang] steady. So important for this team

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2018, 12:42:59 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This is one of those threads that will never die. Every time Horford plays a bad game, someone comes here to say "I told you so," and every time he has a good game, someone comes here to say, "You were wrong."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
This is one of those threads that will never die. Every time Horford plays a bad game, someone comes here to say "I told you so," and every time he has a good game, someone comes here to say, "You were wrong."

Exactly why it needs to be shut down.

It's just a stupid way to have a discussion. Does Al sometimes have underwhelming nights which indicate he is not a max guy? Yes. Does he have nights where his 27 million seems like bargain? Yes.

Great.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I find this thread laughable.

Al Horford career averages: 14.3 ppg / 8.6 rbg / 3.1 apg / PER 19.0

Al Horford 2017-2018 avg: 13.6 ppg / 7.9 rpg / 5.3 apg / PER 19.0
Oh, and he's averaging the highest WS/48 and TS% of his career. And is an All-Star.

Seems we're getting exactly what we paid for.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
7 pts tonight.  Previously 2 other duds. Overall just not cutting it

He is expecting Kyrie to do most of the heavy lifting on the offensive end. Plus has been plain average on defense

What to do with this guy?  Maybe its time to consider trading him (and eat 50 cents on the dollar)

Trade for a cheaper option like Dedmon to take care of things around the paint

I assumed that this thread was started in November 2016 or something when I clicked on it.

I don’t agree. I’ll just leave it at that.

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Frankly, I think Horford doesn't deserve this thread smh...  >:(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2018, 07:25:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Al Horfords signing helpes entice others to sign  (Hayward & possibly Monroe). Helped our ball movement tremendously. Veteran leadership. We didnt pay for his stats. It was clearly for  the doors  his presence opens. Plus, his contract should end around the time our core  players are all in their primes. Being competitive now is literally a bonus. An ideal signing imo. This is why we are bloggers and Ainge is Ainge. Thank Jesus!

« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Frankly, I think Horford doesn't deserve this thread smh...  >:(

TP